• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

pet peeves / lil stuff you cant stand

I hate when stores or restaurants require you to use hand sanitizer at the entrance. I was kicked out of a pet store for refusing to just because I was allergic to hand sanitizer. My skin breaks out from it.

I found out when in high school and this teacher told me to sanitize my hands to prevent me from biting my finger nails, and I did. The next day, I had this allergic reaction and the same teacher sent me to the nurse, lmao. Not to mention, I have multiple pictures of these allergic reactions just to prove that I’m not full of crap. It just sucks being denied entry to certain places, lol. I’ve only experienced it once, but I know a lot of restaurants require it upon entry.
I'm so glad that trend has died down where I am. Hand sanitizer contraptions still linger some store fronts but most are gone.

I wasn't against the use, as it's to help not spread germs, but I was more against the smell of them. Just give me the rubbing alcohol smell. They tried to be all fancy and get scented ones but the scent always smelled like beef and it was nasty. Not to mention, lots had a grainy texture or was also greasy/gummy. Why couldn't they just stick to the regular stuff is my question.

Oh, I've got one—creative "do's and don't's" where neither option is actually bad or incorrect, they just convey different things, or come down to a matter of personal preference. Stuff like "always use bright colorful palettes, not desaturated ones!" (or vice versa) in art, for instance. It does more to hinder than help aspiring creatives, and often feels like the creator is just desperate to push out content.

Oh, I've got one—creative "do's and don't's" where neither option is actually bad or incorrect, they just convey different things, or come down to a matter of personal preference. Stuff like "always use bright colorful palettes, not desaturated ones!" (or vice versa) in art, for instance. It does more to hinder than help aspiring creatives, and often feels like the creator is just desperate to push out content.
Agreed. It's not so black and white. Heck, in my Graphic Design program, we were taught to 'break the rules' all the time.

Unsolicited opinions from my family. I am tired of hearing how much everyone hates my big stretched septum piercing or how they think I should have kids.

Asking wether I should do something and getting “if you feel like it”

I understand where it’s coming from, but I’m not asking for permission when I ask wether I should listen to music or play a game or have a snack. I’m asking for an opinion because I’m indecisive, and this is like a non-answer, because it just pivots the decision back onto me entirely. It’s also like these friends aren’t interested enough to think a bit more or ask or chat for a minute about hobbies or how we kill time. “Sure why not” is genuinely a better answer, I’m not asking for attention or to be everyone’s priority, just some sort of opinion.

It bothers me because I’ve explained as much to my friends and partner who generally still answer with this anyway. It’s a small thing, but it happens so often that I get genuinely frustrated thinking of this innocuous phrase.

When it’s something important I’m asking about it’s worse in some ways. But tbh the more time goes on the more I keep important things to myself.

Hard agree with this one. Or when you ask someone a question like this and they take forever to get back to you only to give you a non-concrete answer. It's just like, am I talking to myself here or something? :rolleyes:

For real. Dude this is a bit more venting from me but totally relate to feeling like I’m talking with myself sometimes. Or may as well be. I want to feel like I can have real conversations with my friends about our hobbies and hanging out and stuff, but even when they say it’s important, I know I’m out of sync and we go about our hobbies in different ways. I ranted about it multiple times even in this thread saying I felt like I gave more than I put in. But I don’t know. A general sense of apathy even from people I thought were my friends is eeehh. I’ve tried to fit in with their hobbies and do some of what they want and I definitely haven’t done the best job but I’ve done a lot to try and help them and it kinda feels like we just hang out just in a familiar way which is boring to me and they didn’t change a lot for me. I don’t even hold it against them. It’s fair enough if they just want to stay more casual friends, and at least they actually stick around me unlike a lot of people who abandoned me. But it’s definitely disappointing, I always feel like I’m waiting around or trying to find closer friends who I can’t really find or something.

This is a big one for me. I just don’t like how people close to you or family members give you biased answers. Some of the things you’re told by family at least don’t seem very genuine.

A very common example is when parents tell you that you’re beautiful/handsome when you have low self-esteem. It seems less genuine coming from people related to you because they’re always going to tell you what you want to hear.

Sometimes you just want an unbiased opinion. This is why I’m all for asking advice/venting on forums. You’re more likely to get a genuine response. I’m not saying the responses from family aren’t genuine, but they are most definitely biased.

I feel like a response like that is acceptable. It really depends on what you are asking. Like asking if you should eat a snack or go see a movie, I'm not someone's boss. So if it's something they really want to do and will enjoy, they should treat themselves to it.
Youtube videos that don't have the date the video was posted. I just want to know how old it is, is that a crime????
Maybe the clip is self-conscious of its age?

I don't do it anymore, but I hated looking at half-assed help wanted ads online. 'Entry level position' - Must have 10+years in field. (It's one or the other) I remember reading one ad for software proficiency in some program that was relatively new (1year or more) but they wanted 5-8 years in it. Shows you how much time they actually took 'researching'.

Or how they just copy and paste the ad in whatever site they can just to do it quickly, but it causes the entire layout to be disorganized, or how they repeat or contradict themselves with their position descriptions and or what levels of expertise they want the applicant to bring to the table.

The ones that just copy and paste and have the entire help ad jumbled really piss me off. You want some applicant to take the time to fill out your application and waste hours but you can't even edit the crap you just copy pasted? Give me a break.

And don't even waste my time if you can't bother to give me a hourly or salary rate. You're not that stupid. No one works because they want to. They work because they have to jackass.

Last edited:
It’s just annoying and I’ve said I’m annoyed by it to my friends. I think when I spell out my annoyance to them, it’s more complicated than it being a nicety.

Unrelated: going on a Discord server and asking how people are and literally nobody responds to you. Not even big ones, I’ve seen it on so many sizes of server.

When I was at the bookstore the other day, a magazine cover read: “Clint Eastwood: His Life in Pictures.” I froze and thought, Wait a minute…did he die? Then I realized that if he died, I would have heard about it. 😂 I wish magazines didn’t publish these kind of issues while someone is still alive. (Though it would be funny if they included a photo of the “Chair” incident.)

YouTubers that tell you to "make sure you subscribe and/or hit the bell". It's even worse when it's before the video even starts. Don't tell me what to do. I'll decide if you deserve a sub.
I’ve always liked Mark Rober’s method where at the end of the video he asks, “if you enjoyed the video, please consider liking and/or subscribing”. It just feels more genuine and non forceful to me.

"i'm just doing something for fun, i don't care about the skill level involved :)" "okay but can i make a suggestion/critique on how to do it better?"
I DIDN'T ASK FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS DID I!!!!!!!!!!!!
let people DO THINGS if they're bad at it then oh well!!! i dont care if i suck at something, if im having fun leave me be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YouTubers that tell you to "make sure you subscribe and/or hit the bell". It's even worse when it's before the video even starts. Don't tell me what to do. I'll decide if you deserve a sub.
Not gonna lie, I do find it funny when the YouTuber is aware of how stupid they sound so they just go all out.

“REMEMBER TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON SO HARD YOUTUBE HAS TO HOLD A FUNERAL FOR IT AND MAKE A NEW ONE! HIT IT SO HARD THAT GOOGLE ADDS THE DISLIKE BUTTON BACK AS A PLEA FOR YOUR MERCY!… anyway thank you very much for watching the video, I appreciate it.

The thing that bothers me most on YouTube is when people take ten minutes to explain something that can be explained in under a minute. I know they’re trying to hit that ten minute mark for monetizing but it’s wasting everyone’s time. I guess time is actually money, in this case.

Asking to subscribe at the beginning of every video is pretty annoying, too. If someone says that, I will immediately click off. I will choose whether or not to subscribe if I like your content.

The thing that bothers me most on YouTube is when people take ten minutes to explain something that can be explained in under a minute. I know they’re trying to hit that ten minute mark for monetizing but it’s wasting everyone’s time. I guess time is actually money, in this case.

Asking to subscribe at the beginning of every video is pretty annoying, too. If someone says that, I will immediately click off. I will choose whether or not to subscribe if I like your content.
Don't even get me started on the long intros. You don't need to explain what the video is about because I can see it from the title. Just get with the content!

Back