• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

So we finally got confirmation that Wiglett has nothing in common with Diglett other than its appearence. Moles ≠ Eels
20220929_095201.jpg

I'm so happy that we finally get a garden eel Pokemon! Looking at garden eels in NH, you can see how Wiglett might evolve. "Wugtrio" might be 3 Wigletts, just like how Dugtrio is 3 Digletts
853f9-16238529759774-800.jpg

Diglett also has Gooey as its ability, which might be really useful as it lowers the opponents speed when they use a contact move. Only Goodra has this ability at the moment (as a HA)
20220929_095241.jpg

I like Wiglett and how Pokémon is creating more Pokémon that physically imitate another species of Pokémon. Animals do it all the time with the king snake looking very similar to venomous snakes which will cause people and other animals to avoid them in general.

All I can think of now is that Diglett and Wiglett must have some common ancestors that eventually split off two ways and evolved into two different species.

All I can think of now is that Diglett and Wiglett must have some common ancestors that eventually split off two ways and evolved into two different species.
Considering how one is a mole and therefore a mammal and the other is a spotted garden eel and therefore a fish, I don’t think what you said makes sense; you basically just pointed out divergent evolution, which is not the case here.

Alolan diglett is just diglett in a wig, but the garden eel that has no link to diglett is called wiglett?

OK Gamefreak.

Considering how one is a mole and therefore a mammal and the other is a spotted garden eel and therefore a fish, I don’t think what you said makes sense; you basically just pointed out divergent evolution, which is not the case here.
I think it’s more like a species mimicry example. Several plants look like bugs and there are bugs that mimic plants.

I like the idea of convergent evolution I'm seeing involving Diglett and Wiglett, it opens up a whole new doorway of possibility to Pokémon lore and maybe even some other mons will go through something similar, but I'm also conflicted because the first ever garden eel Pokémon could have also been its own design and backstory and not just a looooong boi Diglett in a coat of white lol come on Game Freak, quit falling back on Gen 1 Pokémon designs. If Wiglett's evolution just ends up being a trio of them stuck together - Wigtrio - then yeah...........no thanks. Gen 1's thing was about genetics (the Eevee squad) and mutations/freaky multiple heads, examples being Weezing, Dodrio, Magneton. Gen 1 also just has some weak final evolutions in general: Electrode, Muk and Poliwrath just being big versions of their previous forms.

Species/biology mimicry is definitely a thing in real life, and it's no stranger to the world of Pokémon. Look at Sudowoodo and Lurantis and even Stunfisk.

I like the idea of convergent evolution I'm seeing involving Diglett and Wiglett, it opens up a whole new doorway of possibility to Pokémon lore and maybe even some other mons will go through something similar, but I'm also conflicted because the first ever garden eel Pokémon could have also been its own design and backstory and not just a looooong boi Diglett in a coat of white lol come on Game Freak, quit falling back on Gen 1 Pokémon designs. If Wiglett's evolution just ends up being a trio of them stuck together - Wigtrio - then yeah...........no thanks. Gen 1's thing was about genetics (the Eevee squad) and mutations/freaky multiple heads, examples being Weezing, Dodrio, Magneton. Gen 1 also just has some weak final evolutions in general: Electrode, Muk and Poliwrath just being big versions of their previous forms.

Species/biology mimicry is definitely a thing in real life, and it's no stranger to the world of Pokémon. Look at Sudowoodo and Lurantis and even Stunfisk.
You do make a good point with what you have said (and BTF fam, please don’t post any spoilers regarding Wiglett), but keep in mind that Generation I was the first generation and that there were limits and flaws to what Game Freak could do back then. Sure, a bunch of this regarding that generation pale in comparison to later generations, but improvements came to be since and the start isn’t expected to be too great.

Last edited:
You do make a good point with what you have said (and BTF fam, please don’t post any spoiler regarding Wiglett), but keep in mind the Generation I was the first generation and that there were limits and flaws to what Game Freak could do back then. Sure, a bunch of this regarding that generation pale in comparison to later generations, but improvements came to be since and the start isn’t expected to be too great.
I'm aware, totally. I don't fault GF for being so limited back in the Game Boy days. There a bunch of mons I love introduced in Gen 1 compared to mons I don't like as much, but don't necessarily hate on neither. I much prefer Muk over Weezing in terms of battle use, but can appreciate the Koffing line being a play on words. Funnily enough, GF does continue this mutation trend to some extent, perfect example being the Deino line lol and it's one of my fave Gen 5 monsters.

Fuecoco, Totodile (if he’s available I have my ways), and Fidough definitely will be on my team. I love the route one puppy Pokémon. Although, Lillipup will be my favorite of the first route puppy Pokémon.

When do you think we'll get the reveal of the evolutions of the starters? We're two weeks out from being a month away. So we're definitely due to get more information at some point. Perhaps later this month?

When do you think we'll get the reveal of the evolutions of the starters? We're two weeks out from being a month away. So we're definitely due to get more information at some point. Perhaps later this month?

Last gen we didn't get any reveals for starter evolutions so there isn't a guarantee we get anything. I personally do hope they give us at least the second evolutions.

Alolan diglett is just diglett in a wig, but the garden eel that has no link to diglett is called wiglett?

OK Gamefreak.
This is the most sound argument I think I’ve ever heard lol. Thank you 😂

Got confirmation for another trailer tomorrow!
20221005_095253.jpg

What do you think will be in the trailer this time?

I'm predicting maybe the regional bird or bug.
Perhaps starter evolutions??? This is a slim chance but maybe it can build the much needed hype around these games.

I’m excited. I’d like more insight to the Pokémon and characters I’d you ask me.

Edit: Perhaps a female gym leader, another Team Star mini boss, at least one new Pokémon of any of the remaining types not being part of anything we’ve seen, or even anything relating to an Elite Four (do not spoil or leak anything regarding this). I would even like to see a combination of a tournament and Elite 4 plus a proper battle against a champion, somewhat like what the fan game Pokémon SolarLight and LunarDark has.

Last edited:
Time for the trailer discussion!

Best Part of the Trailer

1. Farigiraf (its name is a palindrome, ha ha)
20221006_082448.jpg

Looks like it didnt evolve when it when traded so thats a relief. Thank goodness it also keeps its Normal/Psychic typing. You can see it also gains two new abilities...
20221006_082530.jpg

Cud Chew
20221006_082602.jpg

And Armor Tail..
20221006_082639.jpg

Armor Tail is really good for Sucker Punch!

I also love Farigiraf's attacking model. Both heads working as one looks really cool
20221006_082713.jpg

2. TM crafting

Instead of raid dens it looks like we get tms or trs(?) by crafting. Wild mons will drop items used for the crafting. Pretty neat if you want specific tms.

And....thats it. Not really impressed with anything else.

What I Dislike 😑

1. Picnic Egg Breeding

Yeah, I knew curry camping would return but I didnt know that daycare centers would be removed. I prefer active breeding rather than passive breeding. This is because of how passing down IVs work and its not a perfect mechanic. Unless the IV passing gets overhauled I'm not sure how I feel about this.

That said. The trailer was unremarkable. Really need the starter evos and more version exclusives.

I don’t mind the curry camping returning, I kind of enjoy that at times, but why would they remove the daycare center? That’s a bummer.

With every trailer that comes out I keep hoping we'll get a glimpse of the fashion options, but I guess by now I should just give up on getting to wear anything besides the school uniforms...
Oh, we don’t even know if there’s character customization? That’s what I’m hoping for.

Back