• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Gettin' real tired of this guy😒
Lumii_20221228_201402312.jpg

Finished my second playthrough of Scarlet yesterday. Caught another Koraidon and used the trade code to get a Miraidon for my masterdex collection (it’s the last one I needed) definitely be careful with those codes even though it’s supposed to be for Koraidon and Miraidon only. I had several people using it who weren’t offering one of the cover legends. With enough persistence though I found one that I was exactly looking for.

Finished my second playthrough of Scarlet yesterday. Caught another Koraidon and used the trade code to get a Miraidon for my masterdex collection (it’s the last one I needed) definitely be careful with those codes even though it’s supposed to be for Koraidon and Miraidon only. I had several people using it who weren’t offering one of the cover legends. With enough persistence though I found one that I was exactly looking for.

Wait...the alternate legendary is locked behind a code this time? That's wack.

I mean...I will eventually get the alternate version of the game just for my collection, but it won't be for a while.

Wait...the alternate legendary is locked behind a code this time? That's wack.

I mean...I will eventually get the alternate version of the game just for my collection, but it won't be for a while.

No it’s not locked behind a code you still just have to trade for it from another person with the opposite version of the game. Someone set up dedicated trade codes to use when trying to find someone with the Pokémon you are looking for if you don’t actually know someone who is willing to trade you. So it’s actually helpful if you don’t know anyone like I didn’t.

I just got scarlet for Christmas and my sister has violet! I chose fuecoco and named him Tubby (cause he looks like a telletubby and its funny) and I'm excited to play the game!

A bit of background from me: I watched nuzlockes a lot as a kid and the show for a bit, and I played pokemon games with my cousin rarely. My close friend recently lent me moon (which everyone hates apparently? so far its pretty fun so idk what y'all mean) which I've started and even though it's technically the first pokemon game I've played, I've played pokemon before just not seriously.

Anyway I asked for scarlet for Christmas in hopes to try it out and enjoy the series a little more! I'm only like 30 minutes in and I've noticed the graphics are slightly subpar but besides that it's pretty cool.

Any tips for a newbie playing scarlet?

No it’s not locked behind a code you still just have to trade for it from another person with the opposite version of the game. Someone set up dedicated trade codes to use when trying to find someone with the Pokémon you are looking for if you don’t actually know someone who is willing to trade you. So it’s actually helpful if you don’t know anyone like I didn’t.

Oh...

I got you. That makes sense. Thanks.

I went into this game with very low expectations because of how disappointing gen 8 was and honestly? I liked this game a lot more. I still think I should have not purchased it along with most people because it's disrespectful to put out an unfinished product with graphical issues that are this significant. That being said, the overall experience offers the most of any pokemon game I've ever played and I love the openness of it. Do I think they should have coded the gym leaders to have 8 different teams depending on how many badges you have so that you can truly do them in any order? Yeah, I do. But I appreciate non linearity. There are also little nuances like almost drowning at the beginning of the game if you walk into the water or being able to nickname anytime without talking to some strange man. Pokemon designs? Not my favorite set of final starter evolutions but I do appreciate that to add a surprise challenge their secondary types are super effective against the type they were initially weak against.

Also there being a dolphin pokemon alone make this entire game forgivable. Even if it's immediately banned competitively. The designs I also enjoyed were:

Kingambit: Literally so cool I would commit seppuku in front of him if he asked me to, not worthy of his presence even if I worked my butt off to evolve him.

The olive line: the first two are adorable and the final evolution is really GIVING she is so chic. We don't deserve her either.

Rabsca: I don't need to justify this one? Incredibly cool, wish it wasn't so slow, we probably shouldn't disturb it or wake it up or the world might end because it's protecting us from a black hole or something.

Maschiff: cheeky and comical looking grin, he could pee on my floor and I'd forgive him in a minute or two.

That giant catfish that rises from the depth of the lake in the most horrifying way. Don't remember the spelling. Dodonzo?

Toadscool and Cetoddle: hilarious running animations.

Best legendaries: ornamental goldfish and judgmental wood snail.

MAUSHOLD: don't talk to me or my son(s) ever again.

Annihilape: only when the hair is all floaty though, looks funny when idle.

The tumbleweeds: even though nobody seems to like them but me, great movement animations, hilarious when they get blown by a gust of wind.

Off and running with my Violet team now. Main team members are three HA starters and HA Espeon, all of which I bred myself, except the Sprigatito I started with of course. Yesterday I beat 2 gym leaders, 2 Titans, and the Dark base. Actually surprised and pleased by the difficulty so far. My level was close to the opponents so it was a fair match. I didn't lose but used lots of Potions which I normally don't have to do.
Also apparently I battled two wild shinies in one day although I don't recall seeing any. Wonder what they were? Oh well. 🤗
Finished up yesterday's session with a shopping spree at the town where the water gym is, although I'll hold off fighting the gym leader there until I'm stronger.

Once ScarVio get HOME and I immigrate all my good mons there I plan on starting my game over again. I dont know when it was the last time I wanted to do that for the story. The game is much replayable and I want to try my hand at another adventure path (as well as hearing the awesome e4 music)

Once ScarVio get HOME and I immigrate all my good mons there I plan on starting my game over again. I dont know when it was the last time I wanted to do that for the story. The game is much replayable and I want to try my hand at another adventure path (as well as hearing the awesome e4 music)
I have other “users” on my Switch that I use to create new game saves. Sure they really can’t utilize the online services but with Home, I can always move Finizen from one save to my main save and evolve it there and then move it back.

I have other “users” on my Switch that I use to create new game saves. Sure they really can’t utilize the online services but with Home, I can always move Finizen from one save to my main save and evolve it there and then move it back.
Yeah I know all of that already. I'll just wait for Home for a new save because this game is boring without the online features unfortunately.

Yes, although ACNH also drains my battery fast. Not sure if it's because I have an earlier model or just that Switch batteries are poor in general.
Its definitely the Switch. It doesn't matter what game I play, it always ends up drained and so I usually play while its charging.

Got Violet version today and have been playing it on and off for a few hours. So far, I haven't experienced any of the major issues that people have been complaining about. The game can lag at times...but I don't find anything TOO distracting. Honestly, the load times themselves are more distracting to me than the lag or the pop-out. The time it takes from "move to move" during battles is kinda crazy. Otherwise...really enjoying this. - I have complaints about things that the game leaves out, or does poorly...but I don't have many technical complaints (yet).

The school stuff is very tedious, and I hate it. Honestly, the most hand-holding that the series has ever done...even after everybody always complains about the hand-holding. I'm here listening to like 4 or 5 different people who just won't stop telling me what I should be doing for them. - Just trying to get back to training and collecting, and I'm stuck in this sprawling campus doing things I don't want to be doing...

Last edited:
After about a month break from the game, I finally unlocked 6 star Tera raids. I'm looking forward to doing some with a group I'm a part of.

also, shoutout to that one Gyarados raid I did where I literally froze Gyarados solid. 😂

I found out yesterday that the Synchronize ability no longer works on any wild Pokemon anymore. Literally, why did they take this out? Glad I found out before I wasted time breeding a box full of 18 Synchronizers. Will take forever to get natures I want now. I know Mints exist but it just isn't the same to my OCD brain.

Literally have loved everything else about the game so far, other than the lag. Seeing my Tinkaton literally bring the hammer down on the Team Star poison captain's Starmobile was incredibly satisfying. Revenge for my Raichu that the Fire captain fainted earlier. 😡

I found out yesterday that the Synchronize ability no longer works on any wild Pokemon anymore. Literally, why did they take this out? Glad I found out before I wasted time breeding a box full of 18 Synchronizers. Will take forever to get natures I want now. I know Mints exist but it just isn't the same to my OCD brain.
Yeah, I got OCD with natures too and the shock of them removing the Synchronize overworld effect really made me angry. I also prefer not to use Mints like you (only use them for shinies) and the loss of Synchronize really hurt. Pokerus was also removed from the game for whatever reason. I can't seem to figure out why GF would purposefully remove QoL features that have been in the games for the better.

Back