• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

I've actually really enjoyed playing my way through Scarlet as a whole. It seems they have finally changed enough to get out of the same old formula of past games. The characterisation seems really well rounded compared to previous titles (except Geeta as the most forgettable character I've ever encountered!). I'm glad they have steered away from the annoyingly needy rival/best friend character that featured in a few of the past games.

The performance issues are really bad, though. Really, really bad. It sucks that Game Freak (or Nintendo) don't care enough to fix. The open world has so much potential but just runs terribly, and the popping in of wild Pokemon plus environment features is really jarring. I'm only ever immersed in the gameplay if I'm stood still surveying the area rather than travelling through it. I'm honestly baffled at how a game like Breath of the Wild can run and look so much better on the same hardware as a launch title.

But overall I've had fun playing it, and I actually really liked the storyline which is something I thought I'd never say with a Pokemon game! Looking forward to completing my Pokedex and breeding for some shinies. Also, Bellibolt is the greatest Pokemon ever created -- a round friend

spoilered because it contains story details, but i've been meaning to ask.

i remember reading a while back that the reason the paradox pokemon 'make sense' is because they're actually the product of someone's imagination and not a result of the time machine, but i don't remember seeing that even implied in the dialogue? is it hidden in the scarlet/violet book, or did i just miss it completely? (i won't be surprised if it's something they expand on for the dlc even though it's part of the main game's story.)

might be an unpopular opinion, but i personally think the paradox pokemon could've benefited a lot more from receiving the ultra beast treatment in that they were all completely new designs/creatures. (only difference being that the UBs aren't pokemon whereas these would be.) especially considering how lazy all the mecha designs are imo. i think it would've been a lot cooler to see, for scarlet, pokemon that are presently extinct or evolutions for current pokemon that stopped occurring due to long-lost moves, rare evolution items, hunting/predators or just a straight-up unknown evolution method. and then, for violet, pokemon newly discovered in the distant future or evolutions that were triggered so those pokemon could better acclimate to a changing environment. (or, a long-shot, even fusions of present day pokemon as a result of more advanced tech/science in the distant future and subsequent experiments with genealogy etc.) i just think those would've made more sense with the story as i understood it than what we got. imo, compared to the box legendaries, the violet paradox designs in particular look really underwhelming considering they came from the same period(s) as said legendaries.

overall though, i did mostly enjoy the storylines !! the only one i didn't really care for was nemona's, which is a shame because i've been dying for a female rival, and it kind of irked me that i couldn't decline to be her rival; the game forced me to say yes lol. we don't act like rivals at all; as much as i hated bede, that's the kind of character i expect to be my 'rival', and earning the title of champion felt kind of... unfulfilling? because nemona had held the same title for the entire game and yet, especially due to a lack of level scaling, was easy to constantly OHKO throughout. i think if we're going to have a rival, a more frenemy vibe would fit a lot better than the overly supportive uwu best buddy we've had three games in a row now. (favorite of the three was easily hau; i don't remember him shooting for champion quite as vigorously, and i think the story overall in USUM helped balance him out, which hop didn't have the benefit of.)

i remember reading a while back that the reason the paradox pokemon 'make sense' is because they're actually the product of someone's imagination and not a result of the time machine, but i don't remember seeing that even implied in the dialogue? is it hidden in the scarlet/violet book, or did i just miss it completely? (i won't be surprised if it's something they expand on for the dlc even though it's part of the main game's story.)
Arven's quest after you defeat AI professor gives insights that they might be a product of imagination. I played Violet so it made a ton of sense regarding paradoxical part of how someone in the past could know about mons in the future. Arven stated how it was a paradox that the Violet Book, which written in the past, would accurately predict the future paradoxes. Many of the paradox mons descriptions state how they were based on rumours, etc. For example here is Iron Valiant's Scarlet descirption: "It has some similarities to a mad scientist’s invention covered in a paranormal magazine." Here is Brute Bonnet's Violet description: "It bears a slight resemblance to a Pokémon described in a dubious magazine as a cross between a dinosaur and a mushroom." Notice I bolded in the descriptions thst these mons were in magazines. This why there is the theory that they were products of imagination. We will have to wait for the DLC though which is probably what they planned.

Arven's quest after you defeat AI professor gives insights that they might be a product of imagination. I played Violet so it made a ton of sense regarding paradoxical part of how someone in the past could know about mons in the future. Arven stated how it was a paradox that the Violet Book, which written in the past, would accurately predict the future paradoxes. Many of the paradox mons descriptions state how they were based on rumours, etc. For example here is Iron Valiant's Scarlet descirption: "It has some similarities to a mad scientist’s invention covered in a paranormal magazine." Here is Brute Bonnet's Violet description: "It bears a slight resemblance to a Pokémon described in a dubious magazine as a cross between a dinosaur and a mushroom." Notice I bolded in the descriptions thst these mons were in magazines. This why there is the theory that they were products of imagination. We will have to wait for the DLC though which is probably what they planned.
hm, interesting. i haven't done arven's post-game quest yet. (don't even know where he is lmao.) i wonder if it's possible the book was sent back from the future, or is that just straight-up a no. it's all just a little ??? since the time machine clearly works, so why would it be producing products of imagination instead of actually bringing back future pokemon. (makes you wonder where the heck AI turo ends up.)

hm, interesting. i haven't done arven's post-game quest yet. (don't even know where he is lmao.) i wonder if it's possible the book was sent back from the future, or is that just straight-up a no. it's all just a little ??? since the time machine clearly works, so why would it be producing products of imagination instead of actually bringing back future pokemon. (makes you wonder where the heck AI turo ends up.)
Yeah, its really confusing because when you go through the AI Turo quest you are made to believe that the mons are coming from the future.
317863509_10229185734689802_8298966166075307860_n.jpg

318293678_10229185727049611_6477334157832243779_n.jpg

During Arven's quest you end up questioning that. He shows you a picture of the 3rd legendary. If you read the Violet Book in the library you can even see it and the DLC Paradox Virizion from the Violet Book. Anyway, after he talks about the 3rd legendary he then talks about imagination near the end. In GF's point of view, if you want to know more buy the DLC.

I miss the static dens from Sword and Shield. You could go to a den knowing what mons were there. Instead of that we get these randomised dens. Ive been looking for HA Revavroom and Pawmot like forever. I know I'll eventually find one. Just ranting how I miss the static dens, thats all.

do you. not get LP for completing dens online? (or completing them in general?) i did a couple dozen and even hosted some five stars but never earned any lol.

do you. not get LP for completing dens online? (or completing them in general?) i did a couple dozen and even hosted some five stars but never earned any lol.
the only time Ive seen gaining LP was either through the story or going up to the raids and viewing them in the overworld.

the only time Ive seen gaining LP was either through the story or going up to the raids and viewing them in the overworld.
strange. i can't say for sure, but i swear i was earning LP through completing the raids offline. (i don't think the story and random pokemon alone were giving me 400k's worth, but i could be wrong.) i'll have to test it and see. a little odd that you only get LP from viewing the dens and not defeating them.

strange. i can't say for sure, but i swear i was earning LP through completing the raids offline. (i don't think the story and random pokemon alone were giving me 400k's worth, but i could be wrong.) i'll have to test it and see. a little odd that you only get LP from viewing the dens and not defeating them.
I’ve gotten some LP for doing offline Raids as well. Usually about a thousand or two on average. Looking gives you less but still more than 400.

Really annoyed about how they are handling the Charizard raids. I still haven’t unlocked them myself and even with a friend hosting it’s been near impossible to beat. I’m going to try again when it returns in a couple weeks, but they really should have done at least a Charmeleon raid or something for those who aren’t as far in the game considering the game hasn’t even been out that long.

I get the point of them making it a proper challenge but it’s a shame there’s no lesser equivalent if you know what I mean. The Charmeleon wouldn’t even need to come with the special mark or perfect ivs so that way it doesn’t take away from the special Charizard.

Charizard rant aside I’ve been really loving this game. Yes it should have been delayed to fix the issues before launch but at least they appear to be working away at fixes now. Better late than never.

Really annoyed about how they are handling the Charizard raids. I still haven’t unlocked them myself and even with a friend hosting it’s been near impossible to beat. I’m going to try again when it returns in a couple weeks, but they really should have done at least a Charmeleon raid or something for those who aren’t as far in the game considering the game hasn’t even been out that long.
There's a few good strats you could try when they return. The one I used involved Azumarill - adamant nature, Huge Power ability, Shell Bell hold item, Belly Drum, Liquidation and Play Rough attacks. Fairy tera type. The guides I saw recommend the EV training thing which involved beating 28 Lechonks and 28 Yungoose (if I recall). I use Azumarill in nearly every raid now.

Get into battle - Belly Drum, then Play Rough. The Shell Bell should heal you back to near-full health. Continue spamming Play Rough until you can tera. Of course, this would also mean your teammates would need similar mons, although I've heard of people soloing it with that Azumarill build and I think a certain Sylveon build?

I will warn you though that even with that build, the raids themselves are a bit busted - me and my team of randos got Charizard down to red with a couple of Play Roughs, then it magically restored health back to halfway when it placed up the barrier. We still won, but it was a nuisance tbh.

You know what..static dens are better. Sword and Shield did it better. Its another day, and another day of 3, 4 star garbagemons all over the map. I do the dens for rewards and new mon HAs, nothing else. I still interact with the dens for LP though so I guess its not a complete waste of time...

I am actually loving Violet so much more than I expected too. Sword & Shield didn't really do it for me, but I've already put more time into Violet than I did into Shield and I haven't even beaten the game yet. I still prefer Arceus overall, but I'm glad they carried over pokemon walking around in the overworld rather than random encounters.

Also, the first time I've gone into a pokemon game blind so I lose my mind for every new species I see. Love my Kilowattrell & Skeledirge, Garganacl & Bramblin have been essential for me too. Palossand is my true #1 on my team though.

Oh and I got my first every shiny last night, just a random Murkrow hangin out. I don't love Murkrow or go too crazy for shinies, but it is kinda hype that I have one now.

I bred my starter and Surprise Traded them. Been pleasantly surprised by some of the good stuff I've gotten: Flutter Mane, Iron Hands, and foreign Ditto to name a few. Got a Beast Ball HA Charmander, HA Eevees in Apricorn balls, even an Own Tempo Rockruff.
Quick question: are HA ability Paldean starters legal yet? I didn't know if changing with Ability Patch actually passed them down or not. I've gotten HA Sprigatito and HA Fuecoco through Surprise Trade. If I can just get a HA Quaxly I'm all set.
Barely started the game and I'm still breeding my dream team. Guess that's my treasure.

Also, I'm determined to get a Sprigatito plush. 💐 🐈

Quick question: are HA ability Paldean starters legal yet? I didn't know if changing with Ability Patch actually passed them down or not.
Yes they are legal. You can get Ability Patches in 6 and 7 star raids, I believe. They are rare in 6 star raids but one is guaranteed in 7 star (the Charizard raids)

I bred my starter and Surprise Traded them. Been pleasantly surprised by some of the good stuff I've gotten: Flutter Mane, Iron Hands, and foreign Ditto to name a few. Got a Beast Ball HA Charmander, HA Eevees in Apricorn balls, even an Own Tempo Rockruff.
Quick question: are HA ability Paldean starters legal yet? I didn't know if changing with Ability Patch actually passed them down or not. I've gotten HA Sprigatito and HA Fuecoco through Surprise Trade. If I can just get a HA Quaxly I'm all set.
Barely started the game and I'm still breeding my dream team. Guess that's my treasure.

Also, I'm determined to get a Sprigatito plush. 💐 🐈
That sounds quite hopeful, I might have to start wonder trading more. I was doing quite a bit in the first week of release and got quite a few starters but other than that it was just Route 1 mons and Maschiffs 😭

Back