• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

I can honestly see the DLC being free for Expansion Pack members upon release, considering how desperate Ninty is to get you to buy Switch Online + Expansion Pack at this point.

I can honestly see the DLC being free for Expansion Pack members upon release, considering how desperate Ninty is to get you to buy Switch Online + Expansion Pack at this point.

Nah. They would have announced that already if it was the case.

Not to mention, it would be much easier and more cost effective for them to give us GB and GBA Pokemon games for the Switch service than it would be to let us have DLC for the current gen at no cost. - I have absolutely zero expectations of the Pokemon DLC being free for existing members. They even went as far as to include a pre-order bonus for people who buy the DLC early. So...that's a pretty big indication, IMO.

Yeah, I kinda jumped to conclusions there. My thought process was "well, they want you to buy the plan, so they'll add it to NSO".

That Scarlet and Violet DLC is interesting to say the least. Of course I am going to wait it out because I would rather see all the DLC waves than having to rush out and buy it. Besides I don't have enough money to even buy a new game or DLC so I am going to have to save money going forward for the rest of the year.

I really hope the DLC has more new Pokemon than the ones they revealed. - I do like the designs for the two legendaries and the three weird pun Pokemon with the funny names. (Okidogi)...c'mon...you already know I find that pun hilarious. But...is that really it? A total of five new Pokemon? And only 230 of the returning ones to be added? - It's not enough, honestly.

I really hope the DLC has more new Pokemon than the ones they revealed. - I do like the designs for the two legendaries and the three weird pun Pokemon with the funny names. (Okidogi)...c'mon...you already know I find that pun hilarious. But...is that really it? A total of five new Pokemon? And only 230 of the returning ones to be added? - It's not enough, honestly.
I kind of doubt it, they very rarely add loads of new pokemon halfway through a generation. I wish they'd added more regional forms like they did with the legendary birds last generation but I don't think I'll get my hopes up. That being said, they did mention Pokemon HOME will be useable soon so hopefully, all other Pokemon will be transferable.

I definitely did expect more like you said though, just cause they added like Galarian Slowpokemon and the horses etc last time.

What I'm most excited about are the team possibilities. HOME compatibility can make them limitless! You could very well take Okidogi and Incineroar to cover each other (and they have similar designs), along with a Shedinja to send out against types it is not weak to cause wonder guard exists, grab a Zoroark for Night Daze, if its transferable, you could grab the BDSP Jirachi just for a legendary slot, and finally add one of the Paldean starters because the team would probably need a Paldean 'Mon since the DLC is for the region and all.

Home compatibility for S/V is a joke at this point. - It should have been compatible from day one...and every additional day/week that it isn't compatible is nothing short of incomitance, IMO. - Also, the whole thing with the GTS not being available for Switch...I really have to stop reminding myself of it, because it's the most aggravating thing ever.

If the leaks about the returning pokémons are true I'll be so so so happy because quite literally all of my favorite pokémons are included in there and I'll finally be able to have fun with teams in this game!!!!

There are some solid additions amongst the list of leaked names...but also plenty of disappointing ones. - I actually grew to like a bunch of Pokemon from the Sword/Shield and Arceus games. And there are really only a handful of those included here.

The whole recurring theme of only having about half of the existing Pokemon in the newer games will continue to be a huge problem until they eventually do the right thing and have full dex compatibility.

There are some solid additions amongst the list of leaked names...but also plenty of disappointing ones. - I actually grew to like a bunch of Pokemon from the Sword/Shield and Arceus games. And there are really only a handful of those included here.

The whole recurring theme of only having about half of the existing Pokemon in the newer games will continue to be a huge problem until they eventually do the right thing and have full dex compatibility.

I feel like the only person that still has serious beef with TPC for the Dex cuts. Everyone seems to have moved on and believes "it's probably the right thing to do" or "it honestly had to happen eventually." But for me, it bothers me very deeply to this day.

I wouldn't care at all if we only got half the Dex at first, then the rest came in in waves over the next half year or something. I like using exclusively new Pokemon during my first play of a game. But I want to bring everyone over after I've finished the story. And by everyone, I mean everyone.

See...that's how I feel. - It doesn't matter to me if they add 50 Pokemon here...and then 50 a few months later...and keep doing that until they are all added. - I genuinely wouldn't care if they wanted to do it that way. I just have a serious problem with them doing one wave of additions (proving it can be done), and then being like "that's it"...

According to the DLC datamine leaks Sewaddle, Blitzle, Pikipek and Minior are coming but not Furfrou. I'm not sure if Furfrou ever will be added until Gen6 remakes...

See...that's how I feel. - It doesn't matter to me if they add 50 Pokemon here...and then 50 a few months later...and keep doing that until they are all added. - I genuinely wouldn't care if they wanted to do it that way. I just have a serious problem with them doing one wave of additions (proving it can be done), and then being like "that's it"...
Yeah it might scream laziness on GFs part but its just another way to make more money. Its not like adding all of the mons can't be done, its just they don't add them all due to the shorter release cycles dictated by TPC and the promotion of DLCs. The price of not having a "third version" is unfortunately DLCs.

Honestly...there has never been more potential for a franchise than Pokemon when it comes to diversity and allowing people to customize their experience. - Instead of having a locked number of Pokemon to use...and continuously getting the same rehashed "you're a kid" or "you're a student" narrative, we should have full accessibility to every Pokemon and we should be able to play as adult characters, and we should be able to kind of choose our own path regarding who that character is. - Sadly, I don't know if they will ever make such an experience, because it's certainly easier to just keep repeating the same process...and they make money either way. But, yeah...Pokemon has the most potential of any franchise that ever existed, IMO.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling frustrated with how they're handling Dexit and Home. At first, it didn't bother me, because I (wrongly) assumed that we'd start seeing the others in the next installments, prioritizing those who haven't been in a game for a while. But no. We have a bunch of them that are compatible with every single game released so far (a lot of them I think from Kanto, aka nostalgia central), then we have some like Furfrou who seemingly exist to sell a Home subscription, because collecting them without a subscription takes up too much space.

To make matters worse, when they do finally release a game with Furfrou, we'll have to wait another 6 months odd before they make that game compatible with Home :rolleyes:

... I (wrongly) assumed that we'd start seeing the others in the next installments...

They pretty much stated (arrogantly, in my opinion) that they will choose the most "suitable" Pokemon for each game. I don't believe they can even do that. Everyone's favorite Pokemon are different, and what someone would use for one thing is going to be totally different for another. For example, one person may want to ride an Arcanine through a mountainous area, while GameFreak probably thinks Rhyhorn is the only suitable Pokemon for that, while I would love to be riding a Gogoat. While GameFreak will have us riding a Charizard 24/7 for flying, someone else might want to ride a Flygon or something more modest like a Swellow.

I knew we were screwed when they started talking about those things. You already know we will literally never see another Pokemon game that has every Pokemon in it. It would take their sales severely plummeting, and that's absolutely never going to happen. I'd bet everything on that.

Honestly...there has never been more potential for a franchise than Pokemon when it comes to diversity and allowing people to customize their experience. - Instead of having a locked number of Pokemon to use...and continuously getting the same rehashed "you're a kid" or "you're a student" narrative, we should have full accessibility to every Pokemon and we should be able to play as adult characters, and we should be able to kind of choose our own path regarding who that character is. - Sadly, I don't know if they will ever make such an experience, because it's certainly easier to just keep repeating the same process...and they make money either way. But, yeah...Pokemon has the most potential of any franchise that ever existed, IMO.

You would think. The messed up part is that we can't even really blame GameFreak for these issues. They're not a massive company, nor are they even really a great one. They still make the same amateur coding and development mistakes that they did back when they made Red and Green. But the Pokemon Company and Nintendo (probably) know that they're literally printing millions by having them churn out games faster and faster. The games aren't even their main source of income. The games are vehicles to get new designs out (Pokemon) for figures, plushies, TCG, and other various merchandise. If the games are delayed, ALL of those things are delayed. And since they know a half-baked product will still sell better than the last one, they have absolutely zero reason to delay things for "quality."

Until the majority of players actually stop supporting it (LOL will never happen), this is exactly how things will continue unless something completely unexpected occurs.

Last edited:
Home compatibility for S/V is a joke at this point. - It should have been compatible from day one...and every additional day/week that it isn't compatible is nothing short of incomitance, IMO. - Also, the whole thing with the GTS not being available for Switch...I really have to stop reminding myself of it, because it's the most aggravating thing ever.
Thank you!! I thought I was the only one who's still livid about the GTS not being available on the Switch. I mean, seriously... why not?? I get mad every time I start thinking about it!

And I'm still, and will continue to be, upset about dexit until they reverse their decision. Any excuses they made for why it was 'necessary' to cut Pokemon ultimately revealed themselves as hollow when they've proven that they can just add any arbitrary number of Pokemon into the game as DLC later. And the choices made either seem random or based entirely on bias and popularity (Charizard and Eevee will never be cut from a Pokemon game, ever). It all just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I do have a feeling that some day in the future they will pull a SSBU style "everyone's back!!" move so they can get to play the hero (conveniently ignoring the fact that they were the ones who created the problem in the first place...)

They pretty much stated (arrogantly, in my opinion) that they will choose the most "suitable" Pokemon for each game. I don't believe they can even do that. Everyone's favorite Pokemon are different, and what someone would use for one thing is going to be totally different for another. For example, one person may want to ride an Arcanine through a mountainous area, while GameFreak probably thinks Rhyhorn is the only suitable Pokemon for that, while I would love to be riding a Gogoat. While GameFreak will have us riding a Charizard 24/7 for flying, someone else might want to ride a Flygon or something more modest like a Swellow.

I knew we were screwed when they started talking about those things. You already know we will literally never see another Pokemon game that has every Pokemon in it. It would take their sales severely plummeting, and that's absolutely never going to happen. I'd bet everything on that.

You would think. The messed up part is that we can't even really blame GameFreak for these issues. They're not a massive company, nor are they even really a great one. They still make the same amateur coding and development mistakes that they did back when they made Red and Green. But the Pokemon Company and Nintendo (probably) know that they're literally printing millions by having them churn out games faster and faster. The games aren't even their main source of income. The games are vehicles to get new designs out (Pokemon) for figures, plushies, TCG, and other various merchandise. If the games are delayed, ALL of those things are delayed. And since they know a half-baked product will still sell better than the last one, they have absolutely zero reason to delay things for "quality."

Until the majority of players actually stop supporting it (LOL will never happen), this is exactly how things will continue unless something completely unexpected occurs.
Idk if arrogantly is the right word cause whilst I don't agree with them, I think they meant it in the sense that each region is based on a real place and real-world locations so they would try and pick animals/pokemon most relevant to those places.

That being said, it's complete BS cause they just run with the Kanto nostalgia. They seem to make these excuses that sort of make sense at the time, but they're evidently just excuses because they never act on them. A perfect example is saying dexit was so they could focus on high-quality animations and then we got the trash that was sword and shield.

I've sort of just accepted that Pokemon games are never going to be good again because they're 100 percent convinced their main target audience is genwunners and children. Pokemon really is played by all ages at this point so they could make the games slightly more mature to appeal to their broad target audience but they never will. Whatever they do people will buy it anyway.

It seems all they care about is profit nowadays rather than putting out pieces that do the brand justice, which is sad really.

I feel like they can't use the "Pokemon are suited to specific regions" claim when they also said that Scarlet and Violet are meant to represent Spain...and then they added Wo-Chien, Chien-Pao, Ting-Lu, and Chi-Yu like we're in ancient China. - Last time I checked, Spain isn't anywhere near China...and those are NEW Pokemon that they specifically designed to be legendaries for this region.

They also made a giant crater in the center of the map that facilitates time travel. Soooo...I've got nothing more to say about their claims of realistically representing specific regions or "cannon Pokedex discoveries" or whatever excuse they want to use. Lol

The timeline in Pokemon already makes no sense as far as which Pokemon have been sighted in which regions and at what times. So...they might as well just go full Poke-verse and merge everything for the sake of parity.

If your game literally includes time travel...then I think you should be able to import every known Pokemon.

Last edited:
Idk if arrogantly is the right word cause whilst I don't agree with them, I think they meant it in the sense that each region is based on a real place and real-world locations so they would try and pick animals/pokemon most relevant to those places.

That's definitely fair and probably what they did mean. I guess I just see it as not mattering what region I'm in, I have my own idea of the best Pokemon suited for MY adventure. One thing that modern gaming is doing right is allowing for each player to heavily customize their player and experience. The Pokemon are what make Pokemon... Pokemon... so limiting which ones we can use is a massive hindrance on the experience.

I feel like the happy medium would be to hire more staff and stick a small group on the "mature" game, and let it take a few years to make while their current team keeps churning out the more vapid games. They can still rake in trillions while their older fans' patience is rewarded with something of real substance every 3-5 years. But again, they don't have any reason to put one cent towards something like that when they'll make disgusting amounts of money continuing with their current routine.

Back