• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

they also like making humanoid pokemon for whatever reason. I think their mindset is quadruped = too barbarian, so we must make more humanoid mons because humanoid = smart and less barbarian.

they also like making humanoid pokemon for whatever reason. I think their mindset is quadruped = too barbarian, so we must make more humanoid mons because humanoid = smart and less barbarian.

I don't know what I think their philosophy is with that, but I can't stand it. I design my own Pokemon for fun, and ALL of my starters stay quadrupedal.

I just think there is an intention to continuously make Pokemon more like Digimon, which I never cared for...

I've said it time and time again...the reason I loved Pokemon in the first place was because the monsters were just weird little guys. So...it is pretty frustrating to see more and more Pokemon become "mascot-esque". - Which I also think is another part of the humanoid element...(to create characters that can act like mascots). This was definitely the intention with Gholdengo. I mean, people rightfully joked about Gholdengo looking like a mascot for a 90's snack brand or whatever.

They also made Mr. Mime a weird little mascot character in the series...and Lucario definitely reached a place almost on par with Pikachu as far as popularity. Same with Mewtwo. - Not all of the bipedal designs obtain the same level of fandom, but there is definitely an intention there...to create something that will move merchandise and whatever else is important to the corporate overlords.

I just think there is an intention to continuously make Pokemon more like Digimon, which I never cared for...

I've said it time and time again...the reason I loved Pokemon in the first place was because the monsters were just weird little guys. So...it is pretty frustrating to see more and more Pokemon become "mascot-esque". - Which I also think is another part of the humanoid element...(to create characters that can act like mascots). This was definitely the intention with Gholdengo. I mean, people rightfully joked about Gholdengo looking like a mascot for a 90's snack brand or whatever.

They also made Mr. Mime a weird little mascot character in the series...and Lucario definitely reached a place almost on par with Pikachu as far as popularity. Same with Mewtwo. - Not all of the bipedal designs obtain the same level of fandom, but there is definitely an intention there...to create something that will move merchandise and whatever else is important to the corporate overlords.
I'm fine with bipedal mons when they are done right. I don't have a problem with most bipedals like Mr.Mime, Lucario, Gholdengo (obviously) and others. Its only when I feel that the designs have a sense of appeal to a certain...community and I thought Obstagoon was stretching it. Now we have Munkidori and the nightmare Okidogi and I feel that the excessive amount of bipedals is starting to hurt the quality of designs. Pokemon has always had a little goofiness. They aren't ridiculous looking like Digimon and at the same time aren't too realistic. I've already bought and downloaded the DLC but I won't be keeping Okidogi and Munkidori unless someone wants them.

There's definitely been a deliberate change in the way that starter Pokemon are designed. They've gone from a member of a monstrous species to highly personified individual characters. It's easy to imagine a herd of Venusaur or Feraligatr; not so much a herd of Incineroar or Inteleon. That's why there's a big increase in biped designs, and why they seem more mascot-like and Digimon-esque, I think. I'm not entirely sure why they've done this (they want more personalized partners for anime characters, maybe?) I personally dislike this new direction quite a lot. Skeledirge at least seems to be a step back in the right direction.

I agree on Skeledirge being a step in the right direction, and he also broke the bipedal fire starter trend, so here's hoping we have no more of those! But since Sprigatito was quadruped and went bipedal, we may have another bipedal starter trend looming.

This is the first game I've completed all of the story quests, so I'm having a lot of fun. Looking forward to exploring some new areas with the DLC.

There's definitely been a deliberate change in the way that starter Pokemon are designed. They've gone from a member of a monstrous species to highly personified individual characters. It's easy to imagine a herd of Venusaur or Feraligatr; not so much a herd of Incineroar or Inteleon. That's why there's a big increase in biped designs, and why they seem more mascot-like and Digimon-esque, I think. I'm not entirely sure why they've done this (they want more personalized partners for anime characters, maybe?) I personally dislike this new direction quite a lot. Skeledirge at least seems to be a step back in the right direction.

This. This. THIS. I want Pocket MONSTERS. Not Pocket... whatever Inteleon is.

What kind of luck are people having with surprise trades in Scarlet/Violet? - I've had a few decent gets, but not nearly as many as I'd like. - I thought the version exclusives would be more prevalent...but, I'm not sure if I actually got any of those yet. I got a few of the exclusives for the version I'm actually playing, which are useless (obviously). - I really expected the other ones to show up just as often. (Doesn't seem to be the case).

Some other random things I've got have been a definitely-hacked, level-100 shiny Ditto (lol)...and a handful of higher level evolved forms of various creatures (some of the trickier to evolve ones, tbh). - Of course, there are no shortage of bottom-shelf trade-fodder that get turned right around and sent back out. - Got a handle of level 70-80 creatures that were definitely from someone's actual team...and I always find those ones interesting.

What kind of luck are people having with surprise trades in Scarlet/Violet? - I've had a few decent gets, but not nearly as many as I'd like. - I thought the version exclusives would be more prevalent...but, I'm not sure if I actually got any of those yet. I got a few of the exclusives for the version I'm actually playing, which are useless (obviously). - I really expected the other ones to show up just as often. (Doesn't seem to be the case).

Some other random things I've got have been a definitely-hacked, level-100 shiny Ditto (lol)...and a handful of higher level evolved forms of various creatures (some of the trickier to evolve ones, tbh). - Of course, there are no shortage of bottom-shelf trade-fodder that get turned right around and sent back out. - Got a handle of level 70-80 creatures that were definitely from someone's actual team...and I always find those ones interesting.
For me I’ve gotten a Japanese female Sprigatto, Lv 75 Japanese Salamence, a Japanese Quaxly, and one other Pokémon of note that I can’t think of off the top of my head. The Salamence really surprised me as I sent over a Lechonk.

I just saw a news article on Tera Raids, and it said the next event one was gonna be a Decidueye (I hope I spelled that right) raid.

Lechonk and Sprigatito make up the majority of my trades. I like both of them, but I frankly never want to see them again in a surprise trade, ever.

In terms of more interesting ones I've received:
  • Shiny Sprigatito (hacked, but looks legit enough for me to keep)
  • Fun nicknamed ones from multiple languages
  • Johto Wooper (interesting for now, at least)
  • Various Pokemon with rare marks (I don't think very many people are checking for these so they're just sent out)
  • Hyper-trained lv 100 Chinese Ditto
  • A couple of ones that were, like yours, clearly from someone's actual team

Funny...after just mentioning that my trades have been somewhat disappointing, I got a few good ones. - Just got a Skrelp a moment ago, and evolved it into Dragalge via a handful of candies. Then got a Stonjourner shortly after. Nice addition of a few more dex entries...and right after I said I wasn't finding any version exclusives. Lol.

Funny...after just mentioning that my trades have been somewhat disappointing, I got a few good ones. - Just got a Skrelp a moment ago, and evolved it into Dragalge via a handful of candies. Then got a Stonjourner shortly after. Nice addition of a few more dex entries...and right after I said I wasn't finding any version exclusives. Lol.
I got a Lv 75 Salamence rather early in my main Scarlet game which surprised me. Had to wait a really long time before I could even use it due to the obedience level cap but it helped me take out the E4 and Geeta and with the Area Zero post game. I think I got it when I only had two Badges, defeated the Fire Team Star Base, and Titan Klawf. That was definitely the best Pokémon I’ve gotten this Gen from Surprise Trade. Before that it was the legit Shiny Swablu and Shiny Sirfetch’d from Wonder Trade.

RE:The Bipedal Starter plague, I think it's because they're trying to make the starters seem more like partners/mascots as opposed to pets/monsters. They're probably seeing it as a partner that you start your journey with so as you grow as a trainer it sort of goes from kid to adult. That definitely makes sense in regards to middle evos as well, because starting in Gen 7 they seemed to make all the middle evos reminiscent of teenagers (Datrix probably being the best example)

I definitely think they Pokemon company just needs to start doing what they did well before and build upon it, rather than trying to add new gimmicks and quirks that no one asked for and that kind of takes away from the charm of having a fantastical monster... I think someone said above but I'd rather my starter look like something you could find/tame in the wild in a herd. Imagine finding a herd of Cinderaces :sick:
Post automatically merged:

Unrelated @Snek you gotta be the 1000th post of this thread :ROFLMAO:

Legendaries really got out of hand also. Most of the newer ones are just an absolute mess. They stopped actually resembling anything a long time ago. - I swear...the last good Legendary designs were gen 3; Everything since then has been a nightmare. - Zacian and Zamazenta were honestly a refreshing return to form in this regard...but that was quickly undone with the next few waves.
Post automatically merged:

Following the most recent update to the game, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet players are being hit with save-related bug. This is a particularly nasty issue, as it’s causing save data to become corrupted, taking away hundreds of hours of progress. Needless to say, players who stumble upon this issue are none too pleased.

Usually we’d tell you the steps to take to avoid this save-ruining bug, but it doesn’t seem there’s one specific cause at this time. Some players have had the issue crop up after connecting with Pokémon GO, while others had it happen just by downloading DLC. This certainly makes a bad situation that much worse for players.

According to a customer service rep, Nintendo is aware of the issue. There’s no doubt a fix is being worked on at this time, and hopefully it results in keeping all players safe while also recovering save data for those impacted.

Really?

I don't dislike a lot of the newer Legendaries, but I think there are flat-out too many. My other major gripe when it comes to Legendaries is the lack of new "Mew clones." The cute 100 base stat across the board Mythical Pokemon. Victini was our last one, and those Pokemon have always been some of my favorites. I remember when X & Y came out, I was eagerly awaiting the reveal... waiting... waiting... waiting...

Still waiting...

The best things I've gotten are
A Level 100 shiny Iron Hands
A Level 100 shiny Greninja
A shiny Froakie named "zacian.net"
A level 93 Fuecoco

And on Christmas I surprise traded a box of shiny murkrows and a box of shiny fidough (I saved from before the dupe glitch was patched out) and weirdly I got back one of each (different OTs but same shinies). I also got a shiny Gible named "merry crisis", I found that humorous.

Next Tera Raid is Decidueye with a Flying tera
Begins March 17-19 and again March 24-26
decidueyeraids.jpg

I think I'll try once for it. Iron Hands might be a good choice. Still waiting for Delphox and Chesnaught though...

Edit: I'm post 1,000! I'll get myself another Gholdengo as a reward!

Back