Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Looks like we got sales numbers for S/V!

From Serebii:

"Nintendo have released their quarterly financial insights and with this we have new sales data from several Pokémon games

Pokémon Sword & Shield - 25.92 million
Pokémon Scarlet & Violet - 22.66 million
"

Well folx, the incomplete, buggy games did very well. You know what that means? More of the same.

I would definitely recommend Arceus at least. It's a whole new game that deviates a lot from the og formula, very fun. Plus, you can get an Oshawott starter and think about me all the time. 💕 The DLC for ScarVo is coming out this year, so there won't be a new game until probably next Nov if you are itching to give this gen a try. It has it's faults (a lot of them), but was a really fun game, the story was unique and great, I don't regret picking it up and do want to play through it again sometime (especially now that I can have a legal Oshawott lol).

I’d second Arceus as well. It felt so fresh and new compared to most of the other games. Ok, I suppose Scarlet/Violet feels new for being open world but it’s lacking in so many other places that it takes away from that feeling imo.

2023073121240300-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

Final results! ⭐ 100/100

And so the baby squad won every rematch against the Gym Leaders, and therefore we unlocked the Academy Ace Tournament. We participated in the tourney a couple of times, winning every single match. Admittedly, not without its clutch moments, but still a lot of fun and immensely satisfying. The babies have proven that even if they're small and have lower stats than they normally would have, had they reached their final evolutions, they can truly overcome any challenge.

Here's a summary on how I completed my baby only challenge run and general observations:
  • Strategic use of Battle Items: leading with Sylvia, we boost her stats up and pass them along to another party member in waiting. Most of the time, either Sushi or Polterpup, as their abilities helped them tank hits. Sushi, with the Shell Armor ability, blocks all critical hits unless the opponent has Mold Breaker (this has happened VS the Pokémon Veluza) or uses a move that changes abilities, such as Gastro Acid or Worry Seed. Polterpup, with the ability Fluffy, takes half damage from moves that do direct contact, at the cost of taking twice as much damage from Fire-type moves. I was careful to never sent him out against Fire-types, but sometimes we would encounter a non-Fire-type foe that knew something like Fire Fang or Flamethrower.​
  • Absolutely NO exp. candies or rare candies were used during the challenge: we did all our training and leveling up through battling other Trainers, Gym Leaders, Team Star Bosses and Titans, and we would also battle boss mons aka Pokémon of a high level that can Terastallize, such as the wild Garchomp, Lucario and the Eeveelutions. And if we ever came across one, a Chansey, simply because the more exp. points the babies received the better they could handle the tougher challenges.​
  • Oftentimes, the main problem we had was getting outsped by the opponent and surviving that initial attack before we could launch ours. The solution I found to this was to lead with either Mangorita or Nabnut and have them scout out threats by using Protect, which has higher priority and ignores speed. Then I would switch them out accordingly.​
  • One thing that made this challenge slightly easier is that opposing Trainers simply do not switch out their Pokémon during battles and they do not heal at the appropriate times. I cannot emphasize this enough. I've noticed that in the newer games, during important battles such as VS Gym Leaders or the Elite Four, Trainers do not possess the smart AI that they used to in the older games. Here's an example: you have a Starmie and the opposing Trainer has an Arcanine. The AI knows your next move will be Surf, and suddenly they switch out Arcanine and bring out something that can better handle your Starmie, such as the Grass-type Exeggutor, who also happens to be part Psychic and can also take your Starmie's Psychic attacks and counter with a move like Giga Drain.​
  • Another example: you bring the enemy Pokémon's health down to the red zone, and suddenly the opposing Trainer uses a Full Restore on them. Remember how frustrating that was? But that's what an RPG should be like. Enemies can damn well restore their HP, too, if you're not careful. I mean, they ARE trying to win too, right? Champions especially do this, but Geeta apparently does not believe in this. This is a serious pet peeve of mine when it comes to the newer games. Whatever happened to the smart AI?​
  • I set a personal rule for this challenge as well to add an extra layer of difficulty. No Terastallizing during battles and no healing at Pokémon Centers or picnics. Scarlet/Violet hands out tons of restorative items, and I mean TONS, everywhere you look, every corner you turn. Boom! A Full Heal and a Revive here, Boom! A Hyper Potion and Elixir there. I was never short on healing items, and so whenever my Pokémon needed patching up, I would strictly use only items I found myself. That's right, no buying from the Marts, either. It definitely made the challenge more fun and interesting. As a Trainer, it's my responsibility to be resourceful during hard times.​
But the absolute main advantage the baby squad had was the simple fact that the Exp. Share cannot be turned off. This, together with the fact that there is no longer an option for Battle Style Set, meaning the game tells me what Pokémon the opposing Trainer is going to send out next, completely and utterly wipes out all difficulty from Scarlet/Violet. Having a team of all babies really did make playing through the game a second time about 10x more fun in terms of challenge, but it definitely requires a lot of dedication and patience, and of course, crucial knowledge of Pokémon moves and abilities, held items, etc. and also, X Items such as X Attack and X Defense raise stats by two stages now rather than one stage as in previous games, so that definitely made a HUGE difference as well.

In other words, I certainly would NOT attempt a baby only run in a game like FireRed, Black & White, HeartGold, ORAS or even Sun & Moon, as handholdy as those games are. OMG especially not Platinum 😂😱

A new Pokemon Presents has been announced

from Serebii:

"A Pokémon Presents has been announced. This Pokémon Presents will air on August 8th at 13:00 UTC / 14:00 BST / 15:00 CEST / 09:00 EDT / 06:00 PDT / 22:00 JST. It's currently unclear what it will feature but it will last 35 minutes."

I wonder what they could be showing that's around 35 minutes? 🤔

From Serebii:

"Nintendo have released their quarterly financial insights and with this we have new sales data from several Pokémon games

"

Well folx, the incomplete, buggy games did very well. You know what that means? More of the same.
The only promising thing about this is that although small, it did worse than Sword and Shield

The only promising thing about this is that although small, it did worse than Sword and Shield
I can see it from two angles. On one hand, it's good that Scarlet & Violet didn't outsell Sword & Shield since the buggy nature of the games and their myriad issues are obviously unacceptable and they (Nintendo, Game Freak, the Pokémon Company International, Creatures Inc., etc.) need to be made aware of that. On the other hand, despite all of Scarlet & Violet's issues, I still enjoyed my playthrough of Scarlet far, far more than my playthrough of Sword. If not for Scarlet & Violet's obviously crunch development and rushed release, they could've been and still have an argument for being some of the best games in the series in my opinion. If the development of the games were to be given the proper time they need from here on out (unfortunately unlikely) where there wouldn't be so many bugs and issues in the games, I'd far prefer the series continue in a Scarlet & Violet direction than a Sword & Shield one.

From Serebii:

"

This sadly seems to be the case all around media these days. Even the Jurassic World movies, despite being incredibly lackluster, made a lot of money at the big screen.

It feels as though the big companies have all the money so they can keep churning out mediocre stuff with insane advertising campaigns, and the little people are the ones with genuinely interesting ideas, but not enough money to bring them to life or to get enough advertising to put the word out about them. Sad all around.

HA! I didn't even buy Scarlet/Violet so joke's on TPC. I did buy Sword in 2019, and despite it not being as good as older Pokemon games, I have a burning desire to keep it because I bought the DLC. So...idk :(

Never bought BDSP or Legends cause I got too lazy to buy it I guess. I had Let's Go Pikachu at one point, but I sold it prematurely. I'd NEVER buy BDSP or re-buy the Let's Go games, but seriously, is Legends any good? If they make a Legends Johto version, i'd buy that over the current Legends...maybe. Big maybe.

The Presents is coming up on August 8th, but the Presents have been disappointing me lately.

HA! I didn't even buy Scarlet/Violet so joke's on TPC. I did buy Sword in 2019, and despite it not being as good as older Pokemon games, I have a burning desire to keep it because I bought the DLC. So...idk :(

Never bought BDSP or Legends cause I got too lazy to buy it I guess. I had Let's Go Pikachu at one point, but I sold it prematurely. I'd NEVER buy BDSP or re-buy the Let's Go games, but seriously, is Legends any good? If they make a Legends Johto version, i'd buy that over the current Legends...maybe. Big maybe.

The Presents is coming up on August 8th, but the Presents have been disappointing me lately.

PLA is a really good game cause it breaks the norm of what they've been doing, but if you aren't a huge fan of Sinnoh I can see why it may not be too interesting (I'm a huge fan of Sinnoh, so yeah).

PLA is a really good game cause it breaks the norm of what they've been doing, but if you aren't a huge fan of Sinnoh I can see why it may not be too interesting (I'm a huge fan of Sinnoh, so yeah).
While Sinnoh has some aspects I like, I'm not really into Sinnoh myself when compared to the rest. That said, I love Pokémon Legends: Arceus and would definitely recommend it.

I echo the sentiment that Legends is very good, but it is also a bit different from the others, and a little bit more difficult (but not overwhelmingly so). If you're into 100% completion, there are plenty of extra side quests to do as well. It's the only recent Pokémon game that I would completely recommend, and by far my favourite.

Going to speculate on the upcoming Pokemon Presents. Now...I thought the purple and flickering/glitchy M (thematic for these glitchy games) was at first referring to Missingno.
Compress_20230806_164914_4185.jpg

However, I then remembered what dataminers found in the DLC...text about Mew going full power at its opponent. This opponent is none of than Mewtwo and this only happens when the raid opponent is Mewtwo. So...I'm predicting a Mewtwo raid. Feels bad but if they do give us more DLC info I'm wondering how many would actually care. There are still glitches in the game after all...

The Pokemon Presents was today!

New mons:
Dipplin, another Applin evo
Compress_20230808_085009_9138.jpg

Archaludon, new Duraludon evo
Compress_20230808_085009_9499.jpg

New characters:
Perrin: Adaman's descendent
Compress_20230808_104001_1817.jpg

Anyway, this DLC hyped me a little more than the last, especially with the Paradox Raikou and Cobalion. I'll add more later.

Last edited:
I'm still excited for the DLCs but only because they're making some of my fav Pokémon come back!
Also that presents was boring as hell

I'm still excited for the DLCs but only because they're making some of my fav Pokémon come back!
Also that presents was boring as hell
Yes! Until the new DLC portion I was literally mentally suffering through the stuff I didn't care about. Like...who still plays Cafe Remix?

Yes! Until the new DLC portion I was literally mentally suffering through the stuff I didn't care about. Like...who still plays Cafe Remix?
It's actually fascinating the amount of silence they put in that presents like 5 minutes out of the 35 is pure silence

My thoughts after watching some of the Pokémon Presents:

- I've loved Mew since childhood and am happy it's getting an event distribution in Scarlet & Violet. A Mewtwo Tera Raid sounds like a waking nightmare but I'm glad it's being added to the game too.

- Oh my goodness, I love Dipplin. I already loved the Applin line anyway, especially Flapple, so I like that they're adding a candy apple evolution. I kinda wish they utilized a light brown caramel color instead of just keeping it red, but hey.

- I was not expecting Paradox Raikou to be a funky brontosaurus and I'm going to have to sit with this information to see how I feel about it. Paradox Cobalion looks pretty neat. I wonder what they might do to for a Paradox Terrakion if they include it.

- Glad to see more Pokémon from other regions being added to Scarlet & Violet via the DLC like they did in Sword & Shield's Isle of Armor DLC.

- I hate Carmine and Kieran's awful hair.

- Perrin's cute, I like her.

- The photography mission looks underwhelming but hopefully there's more to it.

- The Ogre Oustin' minigame looks fun. I haven't played Pokémon Legends: Arceus in a few months but it has a similar minigame when you ride Wyrdeer, yeah? Should be good.

- Thank goodness for the Roto Stick.

- Nice to see the first half of the DLC, The Teal Mask, coming in September.

Looking forward to playing!

Back