Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Confrontational? I was just saying that lots of games get DLC that you pay for more content and that the Pokémon DLC isn’t as bad as paying extra money for you to unlock levels necessarily to clear a game.
That’s a false equivalency really because Pokémon doesn’t have ‘/levels to buy”. If that were the comparison unlocking items or areas through dlc is the same- which is exactly what they’re doing. It’s not a case of “if you don’t like it then don’t buy it And stop complaining” It’s ok to disagree with what they’re doing when we’re paying £60+ for an incomplete game.

Their whole slogan is “gotta catch ‘em all” and now you can’t even catch all the Pokémon in one game without paying for it, let alone the entire Pokédex.

I've been waiting all this time to see if the Battle Tower (or some equivalent battle facility) would be made available in DLC, but it seems like they've just given up on the concept entirely for some unknown reason. Granted, it would be pretty slimy to lock such a thing behind a paywall in the first place, but it's disheartening to me that one of my favorite end game activities since 5th gen was just unceremoniously removed in favor of more raids and weird, gimmicky minigames.

Tera raids just feel... lifeless? compared to Dynamax Raids. The grandeur of the giant Pokemon in front of you with three other determined Pokemon trainers staring it down, the music hitting that spot just right. For tera raids, it's more "Oh cool that Pokemon has funny triangle shapes on it and a funny hat. K, let's defeat it this is kinda boring," while the music just doesn't fit for the scenario, especially the tiny little arena you seem to be in.

Tera raids just feel... lifeless? compared to Dynamax Raids. The grandeur of the giant Pokemon in front of you with three other determined Pokemon trainers staring it down, the music hitting that spot just right. For tera raids, it's more "Oh cool that Pokemon has funny triangle shapes on it and a funny hat. K, let's defeat it this is kinda boring," while the music just doesn't fit for the scenario, especially the tiny little arena you seem to be in.

Tera raids are soooo boring and unenjoyable to me and this is part of why. Not to mention nothing in it loads properly when you’re playing online. The Pokémon can have no health bar left and it’s still using moves.. 🤦‍♂️

BRING BACK MEGA IS WHAT I SAY
I don't know why they don't want to put Megas in. Finding the Mega Stones in an open world game would be a lot of fun. They can even make new ones for newer mons. However, they seem really determined to have only one battle gimmick per gen but I think thats a hinderance. It would be nice to see how all of these battle gimmicks can come together in a Pokemon game.

I ended up having to coordinate with people on discord to beat the 7 star Mewtwo raid. Random people was pretty much impossible as you need 4 very solid coordinated mons to pull things off.

We had 3 mews. 2 with physical bug attacking move sets. 1 (mine) as a support to heal, debuff mewtwo, setup light screen and to use terrain to prevent Mewtwo from resting after its shield was broken. We also had one Armarouge also as a support to debuff mewtwo, buff allies and to taunt once mewtwos shield was down.

I actually don’t even care too much about the mewtwo I caught in the end. I do like that I was able to get the mighty mark on my prized shiny mew though.

Teal Mask DLC news! Looks like the release will be next week!

From Serebii.net:
"The Pokémon Company International have given a release timing for the coming DLC, The Teal Mask. This DLC will release as a patch in the morning of September 13th in Japan, indicating very early hours of morning for Europe and late night September 12th for the Americas...."

Is anyone excited for the first DLC? What are you looking forward to?

I'm looking forward to the new Bloodmoon Ursaluna and maybe the lore about Ogerpon if its interesting. Don't really care about the Loyal Three.

Teal Mask DLC news! Looks like the release will be next week!

From Serebii.net:
"The Pokémon Company International have given a release timing for the coming DLC, The Teal Mask. This DLC will release as a patch in the morning of September 13th in Japan, indicating very early hours of morning for Europe and late night September 12th for the Americas...."

Is anyone excited for the first DLC? What are you looking forward to?

I'm looking forward to the new Bloodmoon Ursaluna and maybe the lore about Ogerpon if its interesting. Don't really care about the Loyal Three.
I'm mostly excited for the returning Pokemon! Gonna shiny hunt some more 'mons, and I'll also be able to transfer my beloved shiny Clefairy. I'm not aware how to get Bloodmoon Ursaluna yet but I kinda wish I hadn't evolved my shiny Ursaring from PLA.

Also I started trying out 5* raids a few days ago (after putting it off for so long), and on my 5th raid I battled this Tera Bug Raichu. I didn't think much of it for the majority of the raid since I was just doing it to farm for mystic herbs, but when we had defeated it and it gave me the option to catch it, I realized it looked a little... off? I genuinely thought it was just the cave lighting but I caught it just it case.

1694333062067.png

Turns out it was a shiny? LOL. My first Tera Raid shiny I guess!!
1694333192706.png

DLC COMES OUT TONIGHT! Only a few hours now!

I am already ready and going for a villi-sona with a mono-Dark team. Why a Dark team? Because there are no evil characters in this game! So...why not be the evils yourself? 😈

Here is the team...
Evil!.jpg

I selected the best of the best for my evil mission: ...destroy Blueberry Academy! However, I must gain the trust of Blueberry students for my cover not to be blown! A trip to Kitakami should be the perfect place...
Each evil member fulfills an evil role.

Overqwil: my [REDACTED] like mon, also part poison (not today Fairies hahah) and has Intimidate

Muk: my goop-like mon, good for melting walls, Adamant and has Poison Touch

Greninja: my stealth mon, has Timid and Protean. Its a ninja...of course I'm going to use it for a secret mission!

Samurott: my melee fighter mon, Adamant and has Sharpness, also my escape when I destroy Blueberry Academy ohahahahaha

Kingambit: my villainous-looking mon that is probably illegal in most schools. Its Adamant and has Supreme Overlord. Was going to use Hydreigon but I wanted another Paldea mon aside from Chi-Yu.

Chi-Yu: my legendary mon, I can only use one legend which works out because I hate the Loyal 3 and will box Ogerpon if I'm required to catch it. Its Modest but Mischievous...just like my plan 😈

So that's my team...

Are you going in the DLC with an OP team or are you starting fresh?

I'm interested to know 😄
Trying to make this DLC fun for myself despite feeling less hyped for it than SwSh DLC.

I'm probably going to wait a little bit before starting the DLC, as my team is not fully trained yet, and I would like it to be before going into it.

I'm not even sure I'll play the DLC anytime soon. I've got a lot of other games to play and one I'm trying to finish. It'll definitely be a bit before I start it.

That being said, I'd probably just use my competitive-trained team for it. Should get the job done fairly easily.

tbh, it's kinda weird since even though I enjoyed SV more than SwSh, I don't really know if I'll get the DLC for SV whereas I did for SwSh. A lot of this just comes from the fact that I had pre-ordered the DLC for SwSh but never actually bothered playing it until a week before SV released, so I don't want to put myself in the same situation this time around by buying it ahead of time. If I ultimately decide that I do want to play it then I'll just buy it well after both parts are out and play it immediately afterwards.

If I do, it's likely I just run through it with my original team that already has everybody at level 100, lol, but we'll see.

I'm not really getting the DLC, as it's just there for competitive players to have more Pokemon unlocked. I mean, I'm not one for online battles, so if I got the DLC, breezed through the whole 2 stories, that's it, I ain't picking the game up again, so it'd be a waste of money on my end.

But if I did get the DLC perhaps the best I could do is shiny hunt and that's about it, I'm too scared to do online battles.

I'd also probably start my team freshly new for each of the DLC, depending on how long the content is.

I'm actually really excited for the DLC and I only opened the game last night since last year, so I had to remember all the controllers again, haha. (It took me a good minute to figure how to open my map!)

I think I'll stick to my original beefy chungus team. I have too many favorites though, it's so hard to choose.

Before the Teal Mask DLC's release, I decided to tie up some loose ends. First, I completed the 7-Star Mewtwo raid since I hadn't gotten around to it yet, not really wanting to level the Mew up just for this event and instead using a Delphox build I found in a video on YouTube. Then, I finally did the last thing I needed to and completed my Pokédex by evolving Gimmighoul into Gholdengo, earning myself the Shiny Charm from Jacq. I also gave Saguaro the Sweet Herba Mystica and showed Raifort the Treasures of Ruin. Could've done all that a while back but figured I'd just do it all at once. I like the way it worked out this way though, seems like a good send-off as we head out on the next step of the journey.

I'm already planning to breed a team to use in Violet in the future, a process I began a while back but still have a ways to go on since I stopped playing Scarlet for a little while. As such, since I don't really want to repeat any Pokémon, I don't know whether I'll maybe breed a few Pokémon to use for the DLC since the levels will probably be lower or if I'll just use the party I used through my Scarlet playthrough. Guess we'll see.

Ok...I just played the whole night. Only got 2 hours of sleep, what I like to call gameovers. Get it? Hangover, gameover 🥶

Anyway, time for my non-spoiler review: it was FUN! I stopped playing after the mandatory capture of Ogerpon after realizing it was 4 in the morning lol. This is in the non-spoiler because I want to inform that Ogeepon is locked in its nature once you finish your "final" battle with Kieran.

I will have a more in-depth spoiler review later since my morning is busy and that I have no energy lol. But I just want to say that its been really fun. If you're holding out because you disliked Swsh DLC I guarantee you that its more fun. Kieran and Carmine are very well-developed characters and I look forward to having them around again in the Indigo Disk.

Edit: This is a spoiler sorry!
I found out Ogerpon is 100% female and the Loyal 3 are 100% male. This is to correct me earlier saying it was gender-locked. Also...Ogerpon is not Ghost type. This was incorrect info by Centro. Ogerpon is pure Grass. She gains a secondary type based on the 3 masks from the Loyal 3.

Last edited:
I've started the Pokemon Scarlet/Violet DLC, and decided I'm going to use the ultimate generation four homage team for it. I compiled all of my shinies from other games, and completed it just now. The only one on this team who isn't a shiny is my starter, my Infernape. The first Lucario shiny came from michealsmells, the second Lucario shiny came from Chibi.Hoshi, the Mismagius shiny was caught in a previous Pokemon Violet file of mine, the Abomasnow shiny was caught in my finished Pokemon Platinum Nuzlocke, and the Mamoswine shiny was recently caught in my Legends Arceus game.

As for how it works, well... Infernape has a Modest nature since being obtained, so he's a power hitter. The Lucarios are identical-looking on purpose because they have different movesets, and this is meant to confuse opponents. The Mismagius is to deal with Fighting weakness, which is a major weakness for the team, and to deal with Ground weakness as well. It has an Assault Vest to turn it into a Sp. Def tank. The Abomasnow has Snow Warning as its ability so that once it falls or it's switched out, shiny Mamoswine comes in and Snow Cloak activates, raising its evasion because of the weather that Abomasnow summoned.

I can't wait to play more of the DLC and try it out in battle. I have a feeling it's going to cause some serious carnage... 😎

E4iBRrk.jpg

Sadly it looks like Ogerpon and Bloodmoon Ursaluna are nature locked. Ogerpon will always be Lonely and Bloodmoon Ursa will be Hardy. For me that has OCD when it comes to not using Mints, this is really saddening. However...Perrin's H-Growlithe was Jolly for me so it not too bad, I guess.

Going to post the first part of my DLC journey later tonight. Other than the nature locks I don't really have any compliants but I'll address that later.

Sadly it looks like Ogerpon and Bloodmoon Ursaluna are nature locked. Ogerpon will always be Lonely and Bloodmoon Ursa will be Hardy. For me that has OCD when it comes to not using Mints, this is really saddening. However...Perrin's H-Growlithe was Jolly for me so it not too bad, I guess.

Going to post the first part of my DLC journey later tonight. Other than the nature locks I don't really have any compliants but I'll address that later.
It's disappointing how they've been handling natures these past few generations. I used to soft reset for event Pokémon to have good natures in the DS and 3DS games, but the Switch games are just like "Nah, you get what you get!" for those. Don't know why they think it's a good idea to give Ogerpon and Bloodmoon Ursaluna predetermined natures but it feels unnecessary.

Glad, at least, that Dipplin doesn't have shiny lock like Bloodmoon Ursaluna does. Must acquire my caramel apple dragon. Two apparently, since I've seen that it can apparently use the Eviolite, which suggests it will receive an evolution in the Indigo Disk DLC. Unless that's an oversight. But if not, hell yeah, looking forward to it.

Back