• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Mafia Salmon Run Mafia *main thread* [GAME OVER. SEE POST #460 FOR RESULTS.]

Sorry for the delay. Yeah everything was part of the reaction test.

And I was actually going to Egg, I made that last post after the fourth person egged, thus I was just making the observation that it didn't matter.
Post automatically merged:

btw I think the vote here ends up mostly forced for a few reasons, but I'll go back and do some info. There's not a whole lot of reading due to d1 salmonid kill

I inherently townread Tessa and Miss Misty via the start of the B1ooming vote. I do think Betsy voting B1ooming EoD gives a similar response. (This one is less certain.)

I mean I really do think Caffline is town via the response to the rxn test I gave. (Notably an alignment cop claim following an instant egg is the only way for a mafia to get out of an alignment cop claim, but I really am not going to worry about that.

And I vaguely know that I'm town.

This leaves Ghost, and Elundor as targets for today's kill (fmpov).

Caff is definitely town because her role (copied, pasted) cannot be maf aligned. We know its definitely a true role claim with host response, lol.

Caff is definitely town because her role (copied, pasted) cannot be maf aligned. We know its definitely a true role claim with host response, lol.
Notably, editing a role claim to look towny isn't unbelievable, and it would still be a meta abuse. I'm actually just going to overlook it entirely, because regardless of how you try to interpret it, it doesn't really get you anywhere.

You could argue that Caffline's interpretation of their own roleclaim NOT being an alignment cop claim would be what makes them towny, but that doesn't have anything to do with the specific formatting.

A couple things stand out from Elundor to me that I would probably like to clear up before I vote though.

I would like to use my ability tonight. With only one left i can make an impact
First - an observation of this. Doesn't this setup seem ridiculously townsided if my ability works when there's two mafia, and Elundor's ability works when there's one? I mean it's possibly a gimmick of the setup, but a certain amount of balance analysis matters when it comes to understanding someone else's role.

Okay, good job friends. We have located one of the two sneaksters. My suggestion is we go ahead and declare our abilities and weapons now. We should easily be able to sniff out the last one, I would imagine. If this is amenable to all, I can go first. stated PR (not completely sure what that is... but it was implied that mafia would take them out if they outed themselves?) Mafia obviously did not take him out so what does that mean? That's my thoughts currently.

Two: Elundor also seems happy to admit their own role here, I'm mainly quoting this because they started with this, then ended with a similarly vague retelling of their role to my role. I mean inherently I think Elundor's made a few good points this game, but there's a high chance that I'm going to start an Elundor kill until they roleclaim, given the circumstances.

One thing I want to note very specifically, is that the egg thing almost forces the mafia to play in a specific way.

Now, how the heck to interpret the way the mafia play's is really hard.

I'm just going to assume that d1 was one mafia egg, one mafia no egg. (There's a variety of reasons this might be the case, although the main one is that I just townread Misty so far.)

Given that information though, what does that mean about the other Mafia's role? Probably a strong one-shot ability, possibly a one-shot second kill.

For example: it can't be a passive ability like "people who investigate you see you as innocent", because then whoever has it would actively do anything in their power to not have to egg. I mean of course, barring mindgames. But... no one needs mind games when the role setup is hidden/etc.

This was actually the primary reason I wanted people to explain why they would, or would not want to egg. (Oh I want to egg because my ability is strong). You could easily follow that up by asking them what their ability did.

One last thing of note. 2/3 abilities so far have announced their presence, I'm kinda wondering if it's the norm, and not an exception? If you guys have an ability that announces it's being used, could you pipe up in some post somewhere?

Last edited:
Notably, editing a role claim to look towny isn't unbelievable, and it would still be a meta abuse. I'm actually just going to overlook it entirely, because regardless of how you try to interpret it, it doesn't really get you anywhere.

You could argue that Caffline's interpretation of their own roleclaim NOT being an alignment cop claim would be what makes them towny, but that doesn't have anything to do with the specific formatting.

A couple things stand out from Elundor to me that I would probably like to clear up before I vote though.

First - an observation of this. Doesn't this setup seem ridiculously townsided if my ability works when there's two mafia, and Elundor's ability works when there's one? I mean it's possibly a gimmick of the setup, but a certain amount of balance analysis matters when it comes to understanding someone else's role.

Two: Elundor also seems happy to admit their own role here, I'm mainly quoting this because they started with this, then ended with a similarly vague retelling of their role to my role. I mean inherently I think Elundor's made a few good points this game, but there's a high chance that I'm going to start an Elundor kill until they roleclaim, given the circumstances.

One thing I want to note very specifically, is that the egg thing almost forces the mafia to play in a specific way.

Now, how the heck to interpret the way the mafia play's is really hard.

I'm just going to assume that d1 was one mafia egg, one mafia no egg. (There's a variety of reasons this might be the case, although the main one is that I just townread Misty so far.)

Given that information though, what does that mean about the other Mafia's role? Probably a strong one-shot ability, possibly a one-shot second kill.

For example: it can't be a passive ability like "people who investigate you see you as innocent", because then whoever has it would actively do anything in their power to not have to egg. I mean of course, barring mindgames. But... no one needs mind games when the role setup is hidden/etc.

This was actually the primary reason I wanted people to explain why they would, or would not want to egg. (Oh I want to egg because my ability is strong). You could easily follow that up by asking them what their ability did.

One last thing of note. 2/3 abilities so far have announced their presence, I'm kinda wondering if it's the norm, and not an exception? If you guys have an ability that announces it's being used, could you pipe up in some post somewhere?

I have no idea about abilities being announced or not. I just figured it was night actions being announced, regardless of ability? I might be wrong, though.

See, I saw this as you trying to out a pr, while at same time avoiding nk by claiming pr.

But... no one needs mind games when the role setup is hidden/etc.

Well, at least it's not flipless!

I have no idea about abilities being announced or not. I just figured it was night actions being announced, regardless of ability? I might be wrong, though.

See, I saw this as you trying to out a pr, while at same time avoiding nk by claiming pr.

Well, at least it's not flipless!

The first one: my role thing tells me it announces, so I knew it was going to announce.

The second one: How would me claiming PR out a PR?

I'm town, let me make that very clear. I was sus of you for the complete lack of follow up on d1 and then the declaration of killing Caff with no explanation. I have since changed my feelings towards you and shifted my suspicions to Ghost. He has insta-egged both days with very little explanation. Misty would be my next suspicious person as she had the chance to use an ability but claims it fizzled without explaining exactly what that ability was. That's where my thoughts are currently. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like answered and I shall do my best to relieve your concerns.

The first one: my role thing tells me it announces, so I knew it was going to announce.

The second one: How would me claiming PR out a PR?

Mine doesn't say it announces.

No, it's 2 things for the pr stuff:
- your pressing for the info at beginning of game over a few posts (re the eggs) could lead to people, esp new players, stating their abilities not knowing better. Thus pr outed and nk.

-you claiming pr in first post without any potential counterclaim (cuz we had no idea what was out there) was a good way to avoid elim throughout the game.

The combination of those 2 things is what got me started in my tunnel.

I'm town, let me make that very clear. I was sus of you for the complete lack of follow up on d1 and then the declaration of killing Caff with no explanation. I have since changed my feelings towards you and shifted my suspicions to Ghost. He has insta-egged both days with very little explanation. Misty would be my next suspicious person as she had the chance to use an ability but claims it fizzled without explaining exactly what that ability was. That's where my thoughts are currently. Feel free to ask any questions you'd like answered and I shall do my best to relieve your concerns.

I have a small question. I know you already answered why you didn't vote d1, your answer was-
So I didn't vote day 1 because I wasn't aware I had to declare no vote as no elim, now that it's been pointed out I have tentatively placed a no elim until i gather more info. First time playing here so my apologies.

So I'm just wondering a couple things, what changed your mind d1 that led you to switch your sus to b100ming from shawo at eod, and after you changed your mind, why not vote b100ming?

So who do we vote I really don’t want to vote someone unless they are evil

You've gotta decide for yourself who to vote, lol. Maybe read over stuff, ask questions?

I literally did explain my ability.

I have a small question. I know you already answered why you didn't vote d1, your answer was-

So I'm just wondering a couple things, what changed your mind d1 that led you to switch your sus to b100ming from shawo at eod, and after you changed your mind, why not vote b100ming?

You've gotta decide for yourself who to vote, lol. Maybe read over stuff, ask questions?
I didn't vote because I did not feel there was enough evidence just yet.

I literally did explain my ability.
Where? I just read through again... I don't see any clear explanation. You said it was a dud... that's all I see. Perhaps i'm missing it?

I didn't vote because I did not feel there was enough evidence just yet.

Where? I just read through again... I don't see any clear explanation. You said it was a dud... that's all I see. Perhaps i'm missing it?

Yeah it's kinda inconvenient that our abilities just puttered out. Oh well, at least we're free to collect eggs until we can get this all sorted out.

The 'private communication' droqen mentioned in the opening post.
In reply to Betsy asking what it did since Tessa named the ability in one of her posts and then I confirmed I had the same ability.

Sorry for the delay. Yeah everything was part of the reaction test.

And I was actually going to Egg, I made that last post after the fourth person egged, thus I was just making the observation that it didn't matter.

btw I think the vote here ends up mostly forced for a few reasons, but I'll go back and do some info. There's not a whole lot of reading due to d1 salmonid kill

I inherently townread Tessa and Miss Misty via the start of the B1ooming vote. I do think Betsy voting B1ooming EoD gives a similar response. (This one is less certain.)

I mean I really do think Caffline is town via the response to the rxn test I gave. (Notably an alignment cop claim following an instant egg is the only way for a mafia to get out of an alignment cop claim, but I really am not going to worry about that.

And I vaguely know that I'm town.

This leaves Ghost, and Elundor as targets for today's kill (fmpov).

The only thing that would really confuse me about either one being mafia is that B1ooming's role seems weak. Arbitrarily so, given the information about the setup that we know so far. So does it make sense for either of those 2 players to be ones that would be willing to self egg?

So following that train of logic, I'd probably prefer Elundor?

Wait I thought you said it was a dud because a salmonid died?

Can Misty and Tessa very strongly vouch for each other right now?

Can Misty and Tessa very strongly vouch for each other right now?
Not strongly in that I believe her ability 100% makes her inkling, since there is a possibility that a salmonid can have the ability, but I do strongly believe that she does have the same ability I do. She literally namedropped it in-thread. And for the record, I'm not TRing her for that, I'm TRing her because of the way she handled b100ming's slot.

In reply to Betsy asking what it did since Tessa named the ability in one of her posts and then I confirmed I had the same ability.
I see, that isn't super clear to me maybe it's just because i don't know the game well. I will say this much about my ability - i can target and eliminate players.

I see, that isn't super clear to me maybe it's just because i don't know the game well. I will say this much about my ability - i can target and eliminate players.
I have no more information to give about it. I was the only one who used that ability n1 so I got nothing from it.

I'm actually going to go ahead and vote Elundor in spite of this information.

One: I don't actually think the claim holds up under scrutiny. Why does Elundor not want to egg given that there are less mafia in the game.
Two: What's the advantage of having a night kill over some sort of day kill.
Three: The specific wording of Elundor's earlier observation (my ability is stronger now that there's one mafia) is generally antithetical to the purpose of a vigilante type role. The reason for this is actually mathematical vs anything else, but basically, a vig role is TOO strong if it's allowed to kill twice in one game. So generally there's some sort of punishment for including a vig-type role. (Mafia abilities, setup restrictions, etc.)

So this leads me to one of two conclusions. One: Elundor is mafia vig trying to claim their role as a town role. Which is fine, I guess, but they deserve to be voted for it.

Two: We don't have enough information about Elundor's role to not vote them. Notably, I think, is the part where Elundor seemed willing to claim earlier, so I would be surprised if Elundor has some sort of Ascetic/Veteran role. With all that said and done, I'm going to vote Elundor. I also might not be on for day end (so sorry about last time.) But we'll see I suppose.

I'm also going to use this next paragraph to address some things other people have said.

Wait I thought you said it was a dud because a salmonid died?
Yup! I don't think I said anything to the contrary, but if I did... it is basically terrible because salmonid is dead d1.

To add on to the last statement, claiming my role actively has very little bearing on the game. I am informing you all that I believe my role is bad. Either you believe I'm town, and keep me alive, or you believe I'm mafia, and murder me. But if I live, Mafia not having knowledge of my role is actively detrimental to them. After all, I'm the only one who ~really~ knows how good my role is. I'm perfectly content gold egging for the rest of the game though (I didn't mean for Ghost to have sniped me right before I did.)

It's also confirmed that my ability is the laser sight, so even if something DOES happen tonight, you'll know who it happened to. (Assuming mafia only has one ability for, many reasons, really.)

I’m town reading elundor for getting on the wagon before all the votes were in… seems too risky for a new player to do that as wolf.

Just to address this specific quote, since I also saw that same thing. I'm of the opinion that starting a BW on one player, and leaving up a secondary backup BW is actually a common Mafia strategy. Whjle I didn't use that as evidence, there's a reason I didn't put Elundor on "people who are town because of the b1oom flip." Although, arguably the same could be said to be true of betsy.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. I'm wondering if anyone in this game has played Splatoon with Shawo before to know their preferred weapon, as Shell revealed that Shawo's Splatoon weapon was her ability in thread. Idk what it does in game, but if you told me 'tentbrella, but make it mafia' I'd probably assume a jailkeeper role (which wasn't too far off the mark). Could just be that they made a lucky guess/it was a coincidence, but it's the only mech info I can think of. From my perspective Shell didn't look any more or less obvtown than anyone else did d1.

I'm probably the only person who's played Splatoon with me here. I actually did not see Shell say that, so I didn't catch it. Weirdly Shell absolutely nailed my weapon though. Probably hindsight, but I think assuming the tentabrella was a protective role wasn't a hard reach.

I also want to address this separately. My goal was absolutely to make everyone think I was an important role. My goal was not to force anyone out. (For example, vagueness of the claim means no one really has any authority to claim in response.) Also, if you'll notice with the eggs specifically, regardless of whether you say why you do or do not egg, not egging automatically implies that you believe your role is strong. So in my mind, it is entirely beneficial to town, for you to say WHY you are doing what you're doing. Because it forces you to keep up your lie.

One last thing of note. Elundor specifically mentions that...
1. They're only new to playing on this site.
2. They assumed that not voting was the same as voting no elimination.

This has subtle connotations, (of which you are free to elaborate on Elundor). That Elundor despite sussing both me/b1oom, wanted to not vote during the end of day. There's actually nothing inherently incriminating about it, but I think there's an important distinction between sussing a mafia partner and voting them.

Last edited:
I'm actually going to go ahead and vote Elundor in spite of this information.

One: I don't actually think the claim holds up under scrutiny. Why does Elundor not want to egg given that there are less mafia in the game.
Two: What's the advantage of having a night kill over some sort of day kill.
Three: The specific wording of Elundor's earlier observation (my ability is stronger now that there's one mafia) is generally antithetical to the purpose of a vigilante type role. The reason for this is actually mathematical vs anything else, but basically, a vig role is TOO strong if it's allowed to kill twice in one game. So generally there's some sort of punishment for including a vig-type role. (Mafia abilities, setup restrictions, etc.)

So this leads me to one of two conclusions. One: Elundor is mafia vig trying to claim their role as a town role. Which is fine, I guess, but they deserve to be voted for it.

Two: We don't have enough information about Elundor's role to not vote them. Notably, I think, is the part where Elundor seemed willing to claim earlier, so I would be surprised if Elundor has some sort of Ascetic/Veteran role. With all that said and done, I'm going to vote Elundor. I also might not be on for day end (so sorry about last time.) But we'll see I suppose.

I'm also going to use this next paragraph to address some things other people have said.

Yup! I don't think I said anything to the contrary, but if I did... it is basically terrible because salmonid is dead d1.

To add on to the last statement, claiming my role actively has very little bearing on the game. I am informing you all that I believe my role is bad. Either you believe I'm town, and keep me alive, or you believe I'm mafia, and murder me. But if I live, Mafia not having knowledge of my role is actively detrimental to them. After all, I'm the only one who ~really~ knows how good my role is. I'm perfectly content gold egging for the rest of the game though (I didn't mean for Ghost to have sniped me right before I did.)

It's also confirmed that my ability is the laser sight, so even if something DOES happen tonight, you'll know who it happened to. (Assuming mafia only has one ability for, many reasons, really.)

Just to address this specific quote, since I also saw that same thing. I'm of the opinion that starting a BW on one player, and leaving up a secondary backup BW is actually a common Mafia strategy. Whjle I didn't use that as evidence, there's a reason I didn't put Elundor on "people who are town because of the b1oom flip." Although, arguably the same could be said to be true of betsy.

I'm probably the only person who's played Splatoon with me here. I actually did not see Shell say that, so I didn't catch it. Weirdly Shell absolutely nailed my weapon though. Probably hindsight, but I think assuming the tentabrella was a protective role wasn't a hard reach.

I also want to address this separately. My goal was absolutely to make everyone think I was an important role. My goal was not to force anyone out. (For example, vagueness of the claim means no one really has any authority to claim in response.) Also, if you'll notice with the eggs specifically, regardless of whether you say why you do or do not egg, not egging automatically implies that you believe your role is strong. So in my mind, it is entirely beneficial to town, for you to say WHY you are doing what you're doing. Because it forces you to keep up your lie.

One last thing of note. Elundor specifically mentions that...
1. They're only new to playing on this site.
2. They assumed that not voting was the same as voting no elimination.

This has subtle connotations, (of which you are free to elaborate on Elundor). That Elundor despite sussing both me/b1oom, wanted to not vote during the end of day. There's actually nothing inherently incriminating about it, but I think there's an important distinction between sussing a mafia partner and voting them.

So if I’m understanding you right:
1. You made a wild claim
2. Then it turned into - oh I think it was actually a dud because it’s only stronger with 2 samonid
3. Then it turned into - Oops my bad, I think I made a mistake
4. Then it turned into - I was reaction testing you

Can you please spell it out for me how all that strings together?

You said you’d like to use your ability tonight because it might be helpful… can you elaborate where this is going?

Ah guys I'm so late to the conversation. I'm definitely in math class right now but I'll get something written up in at least a few hours.

Back