• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

I've been wanting to watch Nadia for awhile! Would you recommend it?

I own Gurren Lagann as well, but that's it. I had no idea they ever even released the movies in the west, interesting.
There is some oddly placed filler in there where Team Rocket gets stranded on an island with female Shinji and her inventor love interest. I liked it. The filler may have been caused by executive meddling.

I've been rewatching the Indigo League of Pokemon with some friends and yikes haha. It's old but still, the voice acting is cheesy (bad in some places) and the animation is really bad the majority of the time lol. It's fun though and gives me nostalgia so it's been a nice time.

There is some oddly placed filler in there where Team Rocket gets stranded on an island with female Shinji and her inventor love interest. I liked it. The filler may have been caused by executive meddling.
asdgf Is female Shinji's inventor love interest a precursor to Kensuke Aida? I always thought the kid on the cover looked a lot like him. I'll have to check it out though, thanks for the rec!

asdgf Is female Shinji's inventor love interest a precursor to Kensuke Aida? I always thought the kid on the cover looked a lot like him. I'll have to check it out though, thanks for the rec!
I can see that resemblance. In the Nadia movie, there's someone that looks like the scientist that clones Mewtwo. I didn't like a small part at the end of the show that tells how most of the cast got paired up romantically.

anyone here into "haven't you heard? i'm sakamoto"? i just started watching it the other day with my friend and it's pretty dang funny so far. the premise is this guy, sakamoto, is super cool and smart and good at literally everything. it's dumb silly humor of him doing EXTREMELY over the top stuff all the time and everyone around him being impressed/jealous/etc. there HAS been the exception of one half episode which had ... a very weird disgusting setup but at the very least the visual comedy still managed to get some laughs. i have high hopes for the rest of the series, i hope it keeps up the pace!! it's a shame it's only 12 episodes

A new episode of My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia released on Saturday!

Midoriya was concerned with Monoma’s use of his quirk to copy One For All being a blank, but it made sense after he tried with Eri as well and couldn’t copy her quirk. It was explained that he can’t copy quirks that accumulate things, such as Fat Gum’s quirk. Bakugo did some training with Midoriya and All Might present to try and lure out Midoriya’s Blackwhip quirk, but to no avail. Meanwhile, Todoroki and Bakugo took on their provisional license exam again and passed this time. Not even an hour later, a villain who can control carbon was defeated by Todoroki and Bakugo, and Bakugo even managed to save the stolen goods as well, drawing the attention of a nearby hero. When Todoroki and Bakugo got home they were greeted by everyone from Class 1-A, who congratulated them on getting their provisional hero licenses. Up next there will be a Christmas party for the students, but unbeknownst to them something big is about to go down…

Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes! Go beyond! Plus ultra!

I spent the past two evenings getting caught up on my anime, which included watching the most recent episodes of My Hero Academia, Fruits Basket, and Zombieland Saga.

I also finished up Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood. I really wanted to love this anime and I think I could have, but as it stands I just liked it. The opening and ending theme were spectacular, the visuals were so pretty, the story and characters had the potential to be compelling. It just felt like this series would have benefited from at least a couple more episodes. Every time I started to feel something based on the situation, they would abruptly jump to something else and the emotions would be lost. If they'd had a little more time to flesh out the characters and relationships, it would have completely drawn me in. Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. They tried for something a little different and it was cool.

I also finished up Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood. I really wanted to love this anime and I think I could have, but as it stands I just liked it. The opening and ending theme were spectacular, the visuals were so pretty, the story and characters had the potential to be compelling. It just felt like this series would have benefited from at least a couple more episodes. Every time I started to feel something based on the situation, they would abruptly jump to something else and the emotions would be lost. If they'd had a little more time to flesh out the characters and relationships, it would have completely drawn me in. Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. They tried for something a little different and it was cool.

And you definitely weren't alone in thinking that Joran could have been something really interesting and entertaining. I, too, was impressed by the graphic style. I wanted to like this series. I watched the OP, decided it was worth a shot, then watched 4 episodes of it. I was feeling optimistic after episode 3, but once I'd seen 4, I decided to drop it. The "jump", as you put it, was jarring and disruptive. It's a pity, because I'd felt that the story was intriguing. I loved the conflict between the different parties in the story and, in particular, the emotional toll and psychological conflict the main character must have felt within herself. This story had so much potential. But the story-telling was lacking in pacing and moderation. Episode 4 made me feel like I was watching a poor attempt to keep the viewer interested. At the same time, it felt rushed, because it tried too hard to advance the story with a showy fight scene, at the expense of characterization.

I love my anime to have good story-telling. To me, that involves a good story, and a good telling of said story. Joran, I felt, had what it takes to be a good story, but the telling of it was not done well.

This season I'm watching 10 series. (A mixed bag of genres, but I like variety.) The gem I'd recommend to anyone is Fumetsu no Anata e which is also called To Your Eternity. It's a breath of fresh air! Saying anything more would be a spoiler, because the story so far has many satisfying twists and turns. Just watch the first episode, then decide if it's your cup of tea.

@CrankyCupcake

Yes, I agree with what you said about Joran so much. I also need a good story and it felt like the basic bones of a good story were there, but it was ruined be the poor pacing. I stuck it out through all 12 episodes and it started to get a little bit better towards the end, but that's not saying much. I'd like to see this story redone properly some day or maybe in a manga or visual novel form. I tried looking it up to see if one already existed, but I only found references to the anime.

I've been really torn about watching Fumetsu no Anata e. I hear great things about it and it seems interesting, but I'm really sensitive to...
animal deaths and I've already been spoiled a bit about the wolf's death. If the anime is as good as people make it out to be, I'm afraid that moment could be too emotional for me.
Otherwise, I'm very interested in it.

I'm finally catching up on Fruits Basket and cannot get over how much the (first?) S3 OP reminds me of Dangan Ronpa characters standing around in the school. 💀 I love that the ED uses Natsuki Takaya's artwork, though, it's very nostalgic.

@LadyDestani

Joran is an original anime series, so it isn't based on any manga or light novel. I understand the frustration behind the search for more material on an anime series one has watched and liked. It happened to me too.

Hoshiai no Sora aired in 2019. It's about a soft tennis club in junior high school. But, at its heart, it's much more than your basic sport anime about training complete newbies and aiming to win the inter-school competition. The young cast of characters have credible backstories, and the issues they face in their lives off the court are real and sobering. This series was slated to be 24 episodes but was canceled after 12. The 12th episode ended on an absolute cliffhanger! In April this year, the creator said he's been unable to find funding for more episodes to complete the story. He's still trying. I'd be the first to watch the sequel, if it ever gets made.

Regarding Fumetsu no Anata e. I'm sorry you've been spoiled. 😟 Please don't spoil yourself further. 😅

This one is definitely an emotional rollercoaster. But it's also very thought-provoking. I love stories that not only make me feel but also think. (Right now I'm reminded of Mushishi.) I can see why you have reservations about watching it. For me, I just suffer through it, watching it makes me smile and even laugh... and then I cry like a little baby. I have to make sure I watch while my husband and son are ignoring me busy with their own work because it'd be hard to explain why my eyes are wet and red. 🤪 The series has 20 episodes. I will probably pick up the manga after that.

@CrankyCupcake

Thanks for the info! I might try watching Fumetsu no Anata e when I get some time, maybe with my husband for the emotional support. He's seen me cry at things like that a million times so it'll be nothing new. LOL

Mushishi is another one that is on my watchlist, but I haven't seen it yet.

I’m really having a hard time with staying focused on anime. Whenever I start an episode I end up checking my phone or doing something else within 10 minutes. Does anyone have tips for avoiding this? I miss having the attention span to watch more than 1 episode a day.

An all new episode of My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia released today!

Todoroki and Bakugo were interviewed after doing hero work just 30 minutes after getting their provisional licenses. Unfortunately for Bakugo, all of his answers got cut out and the answers shown on TV were all by Todoroki. Next, Mt. Lady and Midnight visited the students at Class 1-A and had them practice doing interviews for hero work. Lastly, there was a Christmas party for everyone that Aizawa and Eri showed up at, and everyone had fun while not knowing about the upcoming danger…

Up next time on My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia, the students will be going back to work studies! Just what will come of this chance encounter between Midoriya, Bakugo, Todoroki, and the number one hero, Endeavor? Go beyond! Plus ultra!

woAIHCG.jpg

Hsz1AJz.jpg

4iACZZC.jpg

rozYc1o.jpg

r617xkx.jpg

Lmb95xk.jpg

7QTeBY6.jpg

v4iS2Ot.jpg

7GuDiMt.jpg

Q77DCod.jpg

dLqC3nb.jpg

FlPOW8Z.jpg

YVQhPYA.jpg

I just saw a trailer for Fena: Pirate Princess which should be airing on Crunchyroll this summer and I'm really excited for it. I will definitely be watching it!

Funny thing with some titles, There's Kill la Kill from Gainax. Then there's Akame ga Kill (nearly everyone gets killed off from the beginning, not much of a spoiler). One of the main groups in Akame ga Kill call themselves Night Raid, which is the name of another show, all by different people.

omg im not an anime person at all and i dont belong here so im sorry but i have been binging fruits basket like a crazy person, literally watched nearly all of the 3 seasons in a weekend, i was OBSESSED with the manga when i was younger and it turns out i'm just as obsessed as an adult, ive basically cried through it all

is there anything sorta similar?? (idk if its maybe considered a bit cringey but i love it haha)

omg im not an anime person at all and i dont belong here so im sorry but i have been binging fruits basket like a crazy person, literally watched nearly all of the 3 seasons in a weekend, i was OBSESSED with the manga when i was younger and it turns out i'm just as obsessed as an adult, ive basically cried through it all

is there anything sorta similar?? (idk if its maybe considered a bit cringey but i love it haha)
Belong if you want.

Ouran Host Club?

I've been enjoying Fruits Basket too! I'm hoping to watch the final episode tonight.

I googled for some similar anime and found these:
- The Light of a Firefly Forest
- We Were There
- Ouran Host Club (as previously mentioned)
- The Ancient Magus's Bride

Of those, the only one I've seen was The Ancient Magus's Bride. It was very good, but I wouldn't have thought of it as being similar to Fruits Basket. The others all sounded like they'd be worth checking out, though. I hope you can find something to fill the void.

Edit: Oops! Apparently, I got my episode counts mixed up and tonight wasn't the finale of Fruits Basket. One more episode to go!

Last edited:
Update: I’m on episode 171 of Naruto now. The filler has been interesting in some areas and boring in others. I think my favorite episode from season seven so far is when the Rock Lee and Might Guy impersonators showed up and everyone secretly knew about it, but played along anyway (well, except for Naruto LMAO). Less than 50 episodes left of this show now until I can start Naruto Shippuden. :oops:

Back