• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

Oh, wow, I've seen so many sometimes it's hard to remember until something jogs my memory like your posts. But I'll try to name a few. This list is not in any kind of order, just as they come to mind.

There were a couple of older anime that got me started as a fan. These were sort of my preferred genres back in high school and they are so well done so they were the perfect gateway.

Vampire Hunter D
Record of Lodoss War
Vampire Princess Miyu
Vision of Escaflowne

My current favorite anime are also considered old now. They all have deep psychological plot points and mess with your head a bit.

Elfen Lied
Serial Experiments Lain
Perfect Blue

Some of the more obscure anime I never see people talking about but I liked them.

Seven Samurai
Flame of Recca
Sukeban Deka
Basilisk
Inu x Boku
Haibane Renmei
Romeo x Juliet
Emma: A Victorian Romance

One that I'm currently watching that hasn't gotten a lot of hype:
Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood

I'm still not sure how I feel about this one. It's got some awesome visuals and the opening theme is killer. The characters and story seem like they should be good, but I think there's something about the flow and timing that's keeping me from really getting invested in them. The last few episodes have been a bit better though.

Edited to add: I remembered another older anime that I was obsessed with at one point. I had tons of art and merchandise.
Ah! My Goddess
I've been meaning to a hold of at least Vampire Hunter D, Flame of Recca. and Seven Samurai. I should probably prioritize Satoshi Kon stuff before Funimation gets a hold of it. Oddly I just picked up Paranoia Agent from Walmart. I think Funimation redubbed Escaflowne, not a fan of some of the new voices. I'm guessing some of these titles aren't on a streaming service

I think we got into this around the same time. I got really into buying actual volumes when the Newtype U.S.A. magazine was advertising a bunch of ADV stuff. I'm guessing 2006-2008.

I've been meaning to a hold of at least Vampire Hunter D, Flame of Recca. and Seven Samurai. I should probably prioritize Satoshi Kon stuff before Funimation gets a hold of it. Oddly I just picked up Paranoia Agent from Walmart. I think Funimation redubbed Escaflowne, not a fan of some of the new voices. I'm guessing some of these titles aren't on a streaming service

I think we got into this around the same time. I got really into buying actual volumes when the Newtype U.S.A. magazine was advertising a bunch of ADV stuff. I'm guessing 2006-2008.
Vampire Hunter D is just iconic and a total classic. Seven Samurai never got really popular but I thought it had a great story, interesting characters, good action, and some emotional moments. Flame of Recca was one I watched much later. I had never heard of it until my husband introduced me to it because it was one of his favorites. I've also seen all of Ranma 1/2 because of him. He favors the lighter stuff, while I obviously favor the darker stories. But we have enough overlap to enjoy things to together.

Satoshi Kon is amazing. I've seen a lot of his stuff and all of it has been good, although Paranoia Agent is one I haven't checked out yet.

I haven't heard the redubbing of Escaflowne. I mostly watch things in their original language with subtitles. I've heard some English dubbings where the voices don't come anywhere close to how I think they should sound. And if it's an anime with Japanese names, their pronunciations make me cringe.

I was first introduced to anime in the late 90's, but it was probably the early 2000's when I became a true fan. So it's been a good 20 years with lots and lots of shows and movies under my belt.

Vampire Hunter D is just iconic and a total classic. Seven Samurai never got really popular but I thought it had a great story, interesting characters, good action, and some emotional moments. Flame of Recca was one I watched much later. I had never heard of it until my husband introduced me to it because it was one of his favorites. I've also seen all of Ranma 1/2 because of him. He favors the lighter stuff, while I obviously favor the darker stories. But we have enough overlap to enjoy things to together.

Satoshi Kon is amazing. I've seen a lot of his stuff and all of it has been good, although Paranoia Agent is one I haven't checked out yet.

I haven't heard the redubbing of Escaflowne. I mostly watch things in their original language with subtitles. I've heard some English dubbings where the voices don't come anywhere close to how I think they should sound. And if it's an anime with Japanese names, their pronunciations make me cringe.

I was first introduced to anime in the late 90's, but it was probably the early 2000's when I became a true fan. So it's been a good 20 years with lots and lots of shows and movies under my belt.
Most of the stuff I was familiar with in the 90's was butchered Fox Kid's stuff. Some good news is those copyrights are finally expiring, so Discotek gets to put out uncut, subtitled Mon Colle Knights and Monster Rancher. I wonder if either of you would like Saiyuki. I think I'd go with the original, there were two spin-offs, maybe a fourth series somewhat recently, if it did happen. It has some action, with 90's bishies with somewhat tragic backstories. Also another monkey king, journey to the west thing.

I tried to watch episode 4 of Zombie Land Saga Revenge, but I lost interest halfway through. My attention span just isn’t what it used to be...

Most of the stuff I was familiar with in the 90's was butchered Fox Kid's stuff. Some good news is those copyrights are finally expiring, so Discotek gets to put out uncut, subtitled Mon Colle Knights and Monster Rancher. I wonder if either of you would like Saiyuki. I think I'd go with the original, there were two spin-offs, maybe a fourth series somewhat recently, if it did happen. It has some action, with 90's bishies with somewhat tragic backstories. Also another monkey king, journey to the west thing.
I got my start with the very limited selection of videos at Blockbuster. Then, I was lucky enough to have some friends in the anime club at my local comic store. I wasn't into anime enough to want to join at the time, but they would get fansubs straight from Japan and lend me the ones they thought I would like.

I checked into Saiyuki a little and it does look interesting to me. I like the legend of the monkey king. If I can find it, I might check it out.

A new episode of My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia released yesterday! It’s going beyond time! Plus ULTRA!

Tokage’s team was set to disrupt Bakugo’s team, but Bakugo wasn’t having any of it. With him as the focal point and Jiro, Sato, and Sero supporting, they took down Tokage’s team in under five minutes! It was a complete victory for the Class 1-A team because Bakugo saved his teammates when they’re in danger and his teammates saved him when he was in danger, creating a good flavor of teamwork. Up next it’ll be match five, the final match between Class 1-A and Class 1-B. With two wins, one draw, and one loss, the Class 1-A team needs to either win it or end in a draw in order to win the joint training session. It’ll be my team with Uraraka, Ashido, and Mineta versus Monoma’s team with Shinso and others. Come watch me go beyond next week! Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!

I got my start with the very limited selection of videos at Blockbuster. Then, I was lucky enough to have some friends in the anime club at my local comic store. I wasn't into anime enough to want to join at the time, but they would get fansubs straight from Japan and lend me the ones they thought I would like.

I checked into Saiyuki a little and it does look interesting to me. I like the legend of the monkey king. If I can find it, I might check it out.
I had a Movie Gallery store with a very limited selection. They did have a subtitled Fire Emblem VHS tape. I don't believe I've seen that since. The first Saiyuki show has a tie in movie, "Saiyuki Requiem".

With Paranoia Agent today at Walmart, I also picked up Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis. Rather hyped up on the cover.

I am starting to watch Jujutsu Kaisen, it's pretty interesting so far. I'm trying not to binge to much anime because I feel like I get burnt out easily and I want to be able to enjoy it more. So I am trying to watch it more slowly. I really like the art style of this anime.

I also really want to go to see the Dragon Slayer movie in theaters but I have no one to see it with and I get really anxious about going to movies alone so I may have to wait until it's released on digital.. but I feel like that's going to be pretty soon anyway.

I had a Movie Gallery store with a very limited selection. They did have a subtitled Fire Emblem VHS tape. I don't believe I've seen that since. The first Saiyuki show has a tie in movie, "Saiyuki Requiem".

With Paranoia Agent today at Walmart, I also picked up Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis. Rather hyped up on the cover.
I haven't seen Metropolis but I've heard good things. It's one of those that I want to see but never seem to get around to it.

Oh, wow, I've seen so many sometimes it's hard to remember until something jogs my memory like your posts. But I'll try to name a few. This list is not in any kind of order, just as they come to mind.

There were a couple of older anime that got me started as a fan. These were sort of my preferred genres back in high school and they are so well done so they were the perfect gateway.

Vampire Hunter D
Record of Lodoss War
Vampire Princess Miyu
Vision of Escaflowne

My current favorite anime are also considered old now. They all have deep psychological plot points and mess with your head a bit.

Elfen Lied
Serial Experiments Lain
Perfect Blue

Some of the more obscure anime I never see people talking about but I liked them.

Seven Samurai
Flame of Recca
Sukeban Deka
Basilisk
Inu x Boku
Haibane Renmei
Romeo x Juliet
Emma: A Victorian Romance

One that I'm currently watching that hasn't gotten a lot of hype:
Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood

I'm still not sure how I feel about this one. It's got some awesome visuals and the opening theme is killer. The characters and story seem like they should be good, but I think there's something about the flow and timing that's keeping me from really getting invested in them. The last few episodes have been a bit better though.

Edited to add: I remembered another older anime that I was obsessed with at one point. I had tons of art and merchandise.
Ah! My Goddess
Omg what i would give for a return of Escaflowne. The OG isekai, with such a moving score. And speaking of vocals by Maaya Sakamoto, the opening to ROLW is the most hauntingly beautiful song. I cry errytime.
I really miss moments in anime that take your breath away. All the fantasy ones I see are some slime reincarnation harem situations now. Thinking back to that scene where Van reveals his wings... man, I haven't felt that awe in a long time.

I am creeping here for recommendations, of course.

I recently started watching Cardcaptor Sakura! It's really great so far, and the animation is amazing! It's nice to watch a magical girl show that isn't edgy for a change (I've seen Madoka Magica, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, and Magical Girl Site 😓).

I kinda have a soft spot for magical girl anime since Tokyo Mew Mew was one of the first anime I saw as a kid,,

I recently started watching Cardcaptor Sakura! It's really great so far, and the animation is amazing! It's nice to watch a magical girl show that isn't edgy for a change (I've seen Madoka Magica, Yuki Yuna is a Hero, and Magical Girl Site 😓).

I kinda have a soft spot for magical girl anime since Tokyo Mew Mew was one of the first anime I saw as a kid,,
The original or the newer one?

A new episode of My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia aired yesterday! What will happen in the all important fifth match between Class 1-A Midoriya’s team and Class 1-B Monoma’s team?!? Find out NOW!

Midoriya went on ahead to scout out the enemy and to also draw the attention of the enemy team members to himself in order to protect Uraraka, Ashido, and Mineta. What he didn’t expect, however, is when he was firing his long range attacks using One For All at Monoma, his quirk went out of control. Uraraka jumped on to Midoriya and demanded that he calm down, and then told Shinso to brainwash Midoriya. Shinso did, and Midoriya ended up inside One For All, where he talked with one of the past vestiges of One For All. The vestige explained that Midoriya, being the ninth holder of One For All, will be the one to complete it. He also explained that Midoriya is now able to use his quirk, which is a whip-like power good for capturing people. He told Midoriya that he will inherit the other vestige’s quirks as well, and that if he reacts with anger his power will react to that, so the important thing is controlling his heart. We had a look at Uraraka’s past and how she viewed Midoriya, and the all important question of when a hero is helping others feel happy that’s fine, but who will help the hero when they’re hurting? Midoriya came to after Uraraka slapped him and they both landed on the ground, dodging an attack from the enemy team. All Might also talked with Gran Torino about One For All during this time. Aizawa and Vlad decided to let the match continue since things calmed down a bit. Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!

Next week on MHA the fifth match continues! Just which team is going to come out on top?!? Go beyond! Plus ultra!

A new episode of My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia aired yesterday! What will happen in the all important fifth match between Class 1-A Midoriya’s team and Class 1-B Monoma’s team?!? Find out NOW!

Midoriya went on ahead to scout out the enemy and to also draw the attention of the enemy team members to himself in order to protect Uraraka, Ashido, and Mineta. What he didn’t expect, however, is when he was firing his long range attacks using One For All at Monoma, his quirk went out of control. Uraraka jumped on to Midoriya and demanded that he calm down, and then told Shinso to brainwash Midoriya. Shinso did, and Midoriya ended up inside One For All, where he talked with one of the past vestiges of One For All. The vestige explained that Midoriya, being the ninth holder of One For All, will be the one to complete it. He also explained that Midoriya is now able to use his quirk, which is a whip-like power good for capturing people. He told Midoriya that he will inherit the other vestige’s quirks as well, and that if he reacts with anger his power will react to that, so the important thing is controlling his heart. We had a look at Uraraka’s past and how she viewed Midoriya, and the all important question of when a hero is helping others feel happy that’s fine, but who will help the hero when they’re hurting? Midoriya came to after Uraraka slapped him and they both landed on the ground, dodging an attack from the enemy team. All Might also talked with Gran Torino about One For All during this time. Aizawa and Vlad decided to let the match continue since things calmed down a bit. Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!

Next week on MHA the fifth match continues! Just which team is going to come out on top?!? Go beyond! Plus ultra!
This is starting to sound like Avatar the Last Airbender.

This is starting to sound like Avatar the Last Airbender.

It’s following the manga. Kind of, but not the same since Aang had to actually have teachers and learn each new style of bending, meanwhile Midoriya is just straight up inheriting these quirks to use in battle. It would be more of the same had Aang “inherited” the other styles of bending from past avatars, but that’s not what happened in ATLA, so.

Back