• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

The Anime Thread

I unsubscribed from YouTubeTV and Netflix, and subscribed to the Hulu + Live TV + Disney+ + ESPN+ plan for several reasons.

One of them being that this new service plan has a lot of what YouTube TV has, another being that I only had Netflix for JoJo part 6, and the third reason being that I can now watch Made in Abyss season two (besides Hulu, the only other service I'm subscribed to is Crunchyroll now).

Which I am right now! My plan is to finish watching Made in Abyss The Golden City of the Scorching Sun, and then just keep up-to-date with My Hero Academia until new seasons from other shows come out like the next final season of Attack on Titan, the next season of Fire Force, and the next season of Jujutsu Kaisen.

Only having to keep up with 1 or 2 shows for now is great as it'll give me more time to focus on all the new video games I have. :giggle:

EDIT: Also, as of Made in Abyss season two episode two, I will have watched exactly 2,000 episodes of anime!!! 🥳

okay okay okay I just caught up on G Witch and even though I saw stills of That Scene from ep 12 I have thoughts

okay I'm kind of obsessed with the framing of it... Like Prospera wasn't even wrong, really, unfortunately they did have to kill because it wasn't just a duel for ownership of a company anymore, it was an act of war, but her manipulation of Suletta was still disturbing
But like I said, the framing makes it very triumphant; Suletta defeats the enemies, yay! The two major antagonists who have been named aren't even killed so it's very much in the realm of allowable, morally justifiable violence for an anime series. It's just nameless grunts being hurt. And then the credits roll, and it's this part that I was not expecting. I thought the splat was going to be pre-credits. But no it's Suletta saying "I'm going to save Miorine!" which we as the audience want at this point.
and THEN the post-credits scene is the splatter scene and it totally turns everything on its head. Everything is suddenly reframed and it makes it clear just how insidious Prospera's grooming of Suletta is.

More thoughts:
Speaking of justification, I like how the series is toying with how justifiable characters' actions are. Delling wasn't wrong to want to shut down Fólkvangr, but obviously the way he chose to do it was morally incorrect. And Elnora/Prospera wasn't wrong to be angry and seeking revenge, but grooming your daughter (?) and experimenting on her for a decade is.

Nika's plot hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm so so interested to see where that goes.

Will they even go back to school?? How do you go back to school after that

I love how it pays homage to Revolutionary Girl Utena. The duel system and school setting were obvious nods, and of course that scene at the end of the OP with Suletta and Miorine floating is very reminiscent of Utena's own OP, but Prospera saying "this isn't a duel" reminded me very much of Akio telling Utena during their duel that this wasn't a game and people could be hurt. And the way Akio's relationship to Anthy parallels Prospera's to Suletta! Obviously not a perfect parallel but a neat one nonetheless.

I also find it interesting that in G Witch's case the Bride has much more agency than in Utena, although Miorine becomes complacent toward the end of the season and accepts her lot because she just genuinely likes Suletta, whose lack of agency more closely resembles Anthy's. I'm excited to see where they take their relationship-- if they have any hope of being together it has to exist outside of the bride/groom system; even if they like each other (and I really do consider the scene in ep 11 a declaration of love; it hits all the beats for this genre) it's just making the best of a bad situation. They didn't actively choose one another to begin with, and even though they pretty much have now, it's still within the confines of the duel system (Suletta even says "I'm your groom"). We already know Suletta has trouble with how she perceives and her relationships to others and constantly seeks to make herself useful. Which as an acts of services ***** myself I get, but even though that conversation ended on a good note, I still think it's just one step in the evolution of their relationship.

whew I wrote so much lmao idk if anybody is actually gonna read that but thanks if you did! I genuinely have not enjoyed an anime like this in awhile. I'm so excited for s2 in April!
1675714868799.jpeg

actual depiction of me making this post last night

Anyway I'm thinking I'll give RWBY another try, even though there's no way I'll be able to get caught up before V9 airs. Here's hoping I like it more this time; I was disappointed with the direction the series started to take in V3/V4, so we'll see.

Watched the first season of Tokyo Revengers with my best friend. I'm surprised at how quickly I was able to finish it. It normally takes me a loooong time to finish anime. However, I can easily say it's my favorite anime of all time (currently, until I find another I really love). The opening song is AMAZING, the whole anime is fantastic. Mikey is my absolute favorite, aside from Draken and Baji. I also really have a soft spot for Chifuyu ;w;

I'm about to watch S2, but it's still currently airing. I'm gonna stream and watch it with my friend again ^^ Sad that it's only on Hulu. I had to get a free trial so I could actually watch the episodes that have already aired. I'm also starting the manga and am on Chapter 9 right now. I know I probably shouldn't read what I've already watched, but I'm a completionist in that aspect, I guess ;;

After I finish Tokyo Revengers, I'm going to continue watching Yona of The Dawn. I'm also going to read the manga! I plan on reading AOT as well.

Watched the first season of Tokyo Revengers with my best friend. I'm surprised at how quickly I was able to finish it. It normally takes me a loooong time to finish anime. However, I can easily say it's my favorite anime of all time (currently, until I find another I really love). The opening song is AMAZING, the whole anime is fantastic. Mikey is my absolute favorite, aside from Draken and Baji. I also really have a soft spot for Chifuyu ;w;

I'm about to watch S2, but it's still currently airing. I'm gonna stream and watch it with my friend again ^^ Sad that it's only on Hulu. I had to get a free trial so I could actually watch the episodes that have already aired. I'm also starting the manga and am on Chapter 9 right now. I know I probably shouldn't read what I've already watched, but I'm a completionist in that aspect, I guess ;;

After I finish Tokyo Revengers, I'm going to continue watching Yona of The Dawn. I'm also going to read the manga! I plan on reading AOT as well.
I've been interested in watching Tokyo Revengers since I really loved the gang aspect in Durarara. I wish they covered more of it tbh. I'll give Tokyo Revengers a shot!

Also I agree, the OP slaps.

Made it through nine episodes of Made in Abyss season two... and wow, they really took a dark turn for the series. I was kind of expecting this direction just based on what the series is about, but they really dialed it up a notch here. I'm looking forward to finishing the season and finding out how it's resolved. I really hope nothing happens to Reg, Riko, or Nanachi. 🥲

Made it through nine episodes of Made in Abyss season two... and wow, they really took a dark turn for the series. I was kind of expecting this direction just based on what the series is about, but they really dialed it up a notch here. I'm looking forward to finishing the season and finding out how it's resolved. I really hope nothing happens to Reg, Riko, or Nanachi. 🥲
When I first heard of or Made in Abyss I thought “Hey this looks pretty cute.” But then one time I read some comments and they were like “Haha! No.”
Now I’m too afraid to watch it.
Same experience with Madoka Magica.
They really try to trick you with cute characters but then leave you traumatized and depressed. My mental state is already bad enough.

Speaking of my metal state, I started to rewatch Baka & Test again for some laughs. Really great series. On episode 7 right now. My favourite episode. Sometimes makes me wish my high school experience was like the anime. Sadly it was not meant to be, but that’s just the unfortunate reality we live in.

When I first heard of or Made in Abyss I thought “Hey this looks pretty cute.” But then one time I read some comments and they were like “Haha! No.”
Now I’m too afraid to watch it.
Same experience with Madoka Magica.
They really try to trick you with cute characters but then leave you traumatized and depressed. My mental state is already bad enough.

Speaking of my metal state, I started to rewatch Baka & Test again for some laughs. Really great series. On episode 7 right now. My favourite episode. Sometimes makes me wish my high school experience was like the anime. Sadly it was not meant to be, but that’s just the unfortunate reality we live in.

It really is a great adventure series, but yeah... it's not for the faint of heart, lol.

i'm having a rewatch of berserk. it's been ten years or so since i first watched it. it's great! i bought a few of the volumes of the manga that i'm thinking of taking up once i'm done with the series.

the opening song is still the worst thing i've ever heard in my life though. it's such a weird contrast to susumu hirasawa's excellent soundtrack

Finished Made in Abyss season two! It sure was.... it sure.... was.... it sure was.... was... something.

I did enjoy it, but not going to write a review on it or anything because of how dark and messed up it was. I will say, however, that I'm looking forward to season three when it finally airs.

---

I will post the recap for the newest MHA episode soon... but not yet. I need some time to recover from what I just watched. 🥲

I will post the recap for the newest MHA episode soon... but not yet. I need some time to recover from what I just watched. 🥲
I feel ya, this season of MHA has been emotionally wrecking me too. I just caught back up and saw Hawk's Backstory last night, was so sad and real. That along with all the Todoroki family stuff definietly had me in my feels.

Watched the Bungo Stray Dogs movie too a few nights ago as well, and all I gotta say is it was awesome and Dazai is the best damn character. Everytime he does anything I'm thoroughly entertained somehow lol, can't wait to start season 3 now.

What will Vigilante Deku do on his own to stop the villains and defeat All For One once and for all? The battles continue... now.

Midoriya leaves U.A. High and sets off on his own in order to stop the villains and All For One once and for all. He lets All Might and his mom know, and teams up with All Might, Endeavor, Best Jeanist, and Hawks as a vigilante.

While some hero students are patrolling the streets, they try to give aid to the citizens, but the people don't want it and don't trust the heroes anymore. A jailbreaker, or high profile villain, Muscular, attacks however and the students go to fight him. Just as it seems Muscular is going to kill one of the students, Vigilante Deku shows up and takes care of Muscular. The citizens come to the hero student's aid since they tried to protect them.

Far off in the darkness someone is watching... just how will Vigilante Deku deal with this new threat known as Lady Nagant?

Next time on My Hero Academia season six, episode twenty. "Hired Gun." You won't want to miss it! (y)

Actually been thinking about finally watching My Hero Academia. It’s very popular, or at least was at one point, but I was never motivated to watch it. How good is the show? It is overhyped? Is the shows quality consistent between all seasons? Is it worth a watch?

Actually been thinking about finally watching My Hero Academia. It’s very popular, or at least was at one point, but I was never motivated to watch it. How good is the show? It is overhyped? Is the shows quality consistent between all seasons? Is it worth a watch?

The show is very good overall. It's not overhyped too much. As in there's a lot of truth to the good things about it. The main reason I fell in love with it years ago is because the main character, Midoriya, actually thinks about and considers advantages, tactics, allies, and enemies in battle, rather than necessarily over-relying on his own power to win every fight like a lot of shounen main characters do.

The quality is great for seasons 1-3. Season 4 is a bit of a dropoff but still good overall. It picks back up in seasons 5 and 6 and is really good again.

I'd say it's definitely worth the watch. The people who hate it or don't give it a chance probably aren't fans of shounen, aren't fans of anime, aren't fans of superhero stuff, have specific gripes with the show, or they just refuse to try it but call it bad anyway. The storywriting as well as the animation and action in the show are all top tier among anime shows today.

Not to mention, it should be said that MHA actually MAKES USE of its side characters and gives them backstories and depth, moreso than Naruto did (rip Tenten). That's what carries it to the next level.

Let me know what you think about it if you do try it! :giggle:

Another hero themed anime is Tiger and Bunny, if you care. Pretty sure it's shorter. They have to do hero stuff while keeping the sponsors happy. I haven't given My Hero Acadamia a chance mostly because I can think of a couple similarities to other shows, like Prince Zuko with added ice powers.

Yeah yeah, Todoroki is similar to Prince Zuko with the fire side of his Quirk. However, there are also a LOT of superpowers in the show that you wouldn't even necessarily think could be USED as superpowers. Hanta Sero is a prime example and is one of the Class 1-A students. The man freaking uses tape as a superpower for peak sake, LOL.

Anyway, now that I've finished Made in Abyss season two and am caught up on MHA, I have no anime in my watchlist aside from weekly episodes of MHA. I made it through Naruto Shippuden at the tail end of last year and caught up on all my other shows, so experiencing somewhat of a dry spell now. I thought about starting Haikyuu, but honestly? There's a lot more video games I want to play lately, so I'll probably give my anime-watching a break for a bit, at least until the next seasons of Fire Force, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Attack on Titan come out.

The show is very good overall. It's not overhyped too much. As in there's a lot of truth to the good things about it. The main reason I fell in love with it years ago is because the main character, Midoriya, actually thinks about and considers advantages, tactics, allies, and enemies in battle, rather than necessarily over-relying on his own power to win every fight like a lot of shounen main characters do.

The quality is great for seasons 1-3. Season 4 is a bit of a dropoff but still good overall. It picks back up in seasons 5 and 6 and is really good again.

I'd say it's definitely worth the watch. The people who hate it or don't give it a chance probably aren't fans of shounen, aren't fans of anime, aren't fans of superhero stuff, have specific gripes with the show, or they just refuse to try it but call it bad anyway. The storywriting as well as the animation and action in the show are all top tier among anime shows today.

Not to mention, it should be said that MHA actually MAKES USE of its side characters and gives them backstories and depth, moreso than Naruto did (rip Tenten). That's what carries it to the next level.

Let me know what you think about it if you do try it! :giggle:
I haven't given it a chance and I love shounen anime and superhero stuff. I have read about a part where some heroes go to get Bakugo back from villains, is that similar to when Sasuke decides to join Orochimaru, and Naruto tries to get him back? Edit- Aside from actually succeeding.

I haven't given it a chance and I love shounen anime and superhero stuff. I have read about a part where some heroes go to get Bakugo back from villains, is that similar to when Sasuke decides to join Orochimaru, and Naruto tries to get him back?

Not really. Bakugo didn't want to become a villain, he was just being held captive while they were trying to turn him into one. It's reinforced throughout the show that despite Bakugo's brash personality, he's deadset on becoming a hero greater than All Might.

On the flip side, Sasuke actually wanted to become a villain and that's why he joined Orochimaru, and it also made for one of the worst rival pairings between Naruto and Sasuke, because Naruto was constantly trying to save someone who didn't want to be saved. Meanwhile, while Midoriya and Bakugo haven't had the best relationship, aside from being rivals they are good friends as well, and this is evident in season six with a key moment from Bakugo (which I won't mention here because it's kind of spoilers).

As someone who has watched both series, I highly prefer MHA's take on rivalry compared to Naruto's, at least when it comes to the MC and their best companion.

(Not to mention the stuff with Bakugo and the villains lasted for less than half a season, meanwhile the stuff with Sasuke lasted for season upon season upon season, LMAO)

Not really. Bakugo didn't want to become a villain, he was just being held captive while they were trying to turn him into one. It's reinforced throughout the show that despite Bakugo's brash personality, he's deadset on becoming a hero greater than All Might.

On the flip side, Sasuke actually wanted to become a villain and that's why he joined Orochimaru, and it also made for one of the worst rival pairings between Naruto and Sasuke, because Naruto was constantly trying to save someone who didn't want to be saved. Meanwhile, while Midoriya and Bakugo haven't had the best relationship, aside from being rivals they are good friends as well, and this is evident in season six with a key moment from Bakugo (which I won't mention here because it's kind of spoilers).

As someone who has watched both series, I highly prefer MHA's take on rivalry compared to Naruto's, at least when it comes to the MC and their best companion.

(Not to mention the stuff with Bakugo and the villains lasted for less than half a season, meanwhile the stuff with Sasuke lasted for season upon season upon season, LMAO)
I thought Sasuke wanted to surpass his brother for what he assumed he did. Similar to how Bakugo wants to surpass All might. Sasuke just comes with an extra layer of revenge.

Back