• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

The Anime Thread

I thought Sasuke wanted to surpass his brother for what he assumed he did. Similar to how Bakugo wants to surpass All might. Sasuke just comes with an extra layer of revenge.

Sasuke did want to surpass his brother and kill him, but after that he wasn't really sure what to do. It's not really the same as Bakugo wanting to surpass All Might for several reasons.

1) All Might didn't murder a bunch of people close to Bakugo.
2) Bakugo and All Might are not related.
3) Bakugo wants to become stronger than All Might, but not at the cost of leaving U.A. High, where on the other hand Sasuke left the village and became a villain or at least not one of the good guys in order to become stronger.

Also, I didn't mention this in my last post, but with Midoriya saving Bakugo in season one, it comes full circle in season six, whereas Sasuke would never go out of his way to save Naruto, at least not while they were at each other's throats, lol.

And despite Bakugo finding out Midoriya's secret, it didn't make him leave or turn into a villain. From then on in the series he actually wanted to protect Midoriya by getting stronger, but also not be outdone by him.

I can think of about 10+ more ways the relationships are not the same, but I think I'll just leave it at that.

Sasuke did want to surpass his brother and kill him, but after that he wasn't really sure what to do. It's not really the same as Bakugo wanting to surpass All Might for several reasons.

1) All Might didn't murder a bunch of people close to Bakugo.
2) Bakugo and All Might are not related.
3) Bakugo wants to become stronger than All Might, but not at the cost of leaving U.A. High, where on the other hand Sasuke left the village and became a villain or at least not one of the good guys in order to become stronger.

Also, I didn't mention this in my last post, but with Midoriya saving Bakugo in season one, it comes full circle in season six, whereas Sasuke would never go out of his way to save Naruto, at least not while they were at each other's throats, lol.

And despite Bakugo finding out Midoriya's secret, it didn't make him leave or turn into a villain. From then on in the series he actually wanted to protect Midoriya by getting stronger, but also not be outdone by him.

I can think of about 10+ more ways the relationships are not the same, but I think I'll just leave it at that.
I've heard more good things about Hunter x hunter.

Yeah Hunter x Hunter and MHA are both amazing and definitely both worth watching if you haven't seen them and like shounen. At the same time they are very different from each other, but both shows you can easily fall in love with, hence why they both have extremely passionate fanbases.

I will say Hunter x Hunter took me like 12-13 episodes before I started to like it though, but man did it get good after that. MHA I was pretty much hooked and all in after the 2nd episode, but that's probably because I really liked Izuku and wanted to see where his story was gonna go.

Actually been thinking about finally watching My Hero Academia. It’s very popular, or at least was at one point, but I was never motivated to watch it. How good is the show? It is overhyped? Is the shows quality consistent between all seasons? Is it worth a watch?
Childe already gave a really detailed review of MHA, but I wanted to second it. I only watch a select few shounen anime and MHA is one of the better ones in my opinion. It has a really nice ensemble of characters that, as has already been mentioned, actually get screen time and depth. The main character isn't super annoying, like in some other shounen anime. It has clear plot progression and there are consequences for failure. I do think it's worth a watch.

I got a few pencil boards with some older dvds, mostly Geneon. Are these used for anything, or just decorative?

Titles include Magical Project S, Tenjo Tenge, and Saiyuki Reload.

I got a few pencil boards with some older dvds, mostly Geneon. Are these used for anything, or just decorative?

Titles include Magical Project S, Tenjo Tenge, and Saiyuki Reload.

Found this explanation on Wikipedia. Apparantly, they are used in notebooks to protect the pages beneath the one you're writing on. I'm sure they can be used decoratively too. I saw some nice ones in my search.

Found this explanation on Wikipedia. Apparantly, they are used in notebooks to protect the pages beneath the one you're writing on. I'm sure they can be used decoratively too. I saw some nice ones in my search.

Neat.

Viz also had some pack in bonuses with their early Bleach volumes. At least 3 different rubber/pvc key chains and a iron on patch.

Been catching up on the season 5 dub of My Hero Academia in my current anime drought... I already kind of know what will happen, but it's fun to pass the time!
Just rewatched season 5 myself a few months ago, kinda crazy looking back and comparing season 5 to season 6 of MHA right now. Almost feels like a completely different show as far as tone, the days of School Festivals and Christmas parties definitely feel long gone now, but at same time I'm loving it haha.

Fun fact, I just found out that Bones makes Bungo Stray Dogs. Just thought that was really cool since they're the same animation studio that makes MHA and Mob Psycho, which are two of my favorite shows I've ever watched.

I think this is from the new Tiger and Bunny show they're making. This is being called season 2. I thought we had a season 2. There are two dvd sets, one with 13 episodes, one with 12, with different intros, different villains and a slight tone shift. There are also 2 movies if you want to see all of it before this.

I fell out of MHA after Season 2 and just binged all of it up to the most recent episodes. Everything with Shigiraki and the MLA was crazy. Wasn't expecting MH to get that good, so I was pretty blown away with everything that followed that. Now I need to binge the most recent series of Mob Psycho.

I've not seen many people talk about it recently in the thread, but does anyone regularly watch one piece? Theres some big stuff coming up in that soon 👀

I got through the first four episodes of Aggretsuko this evening and have some Thoughts
I think if you're not a fan of S4 you probably won't enjoy the beginning of this season. Even I'm kind of fatigued by the story revolving so much around Haida and Retsuko taking a backseat. I'm not sure it's as funny as early seasons, either, but that was a bit of an issue with S4 as well.
But I'm also wondering if it's supposed to be that Retsuko's "grown up" and doesn't really have the same problems and qualms with adulthood she used to (she's more complacent about her job, her throwing out her mom's expired food... also one day past expiration milk is not bad!! just sniff it) and now the mid-20s angst falls to Haida. idk. I'm kind of disappointed that they started out dating tbh, I feel like they zoomed past the establishment of their relationship in S4 and was hoping they might backtrack a little, but then even when she was dating Tadano it's not like it was shoujoesque romance or anything.
Curious to see how the plot from the first half connects to the political storyline that will apparently be popping up in the second. Will Retsuko start being more of a key figure then? Also wondering if she and Haida will split down the line (that photo with her dad...) but I guess it's too early to tell rn

Never seen Aggretsuko before but you guys got me intrigued. Looks like a really cute anime, and I love slice of life/comedy so may give it a watch sometime.
I've not seen many people talk about it recently in the thread, but does anyone regularly watch one piece? Theres some big stuff coming up in that soon 👀
I love One Piece as I grew up watching it, but I've only gotten to like episode 200 or so. I do like to kinda keep up with what's happening in the manga/anime though, and it definitely looks like some hype stuff is about to go down.

One day I plan on either reading/watching it all, I'm just not sure when exactly haha.

What will Vigilante Deku do on his own to stop the villains and defeat All For One once and for all? The battles continue... now.

Midoriya protects the populace and hunts down villains on his own in order to try and lure out the League and All For One. We learn a bit more about what happened when Midoriya was inside the One For All dream space, and how the two wielders reluctant to help him finally decided to help him after all.

While scouting the area, Deku notices something is off, but his communication device is quickly shot out of his hand and broken. All Might and others realize that his GPS signal is no longer working, and head in his direction. Meanwhile, Deku confronts the one who fired the shot, the illustrious Lady Nagant. He heads towards her in order to try and stop her, but must dodge her bullets made from her purple and pink hair. Just how will Vigilante Deku take care of this new foe?

Next time on My Hero Academia season six, episode twenty-one. "The Lovely Lady Nagant." You won't want to miss it! (y)

Been catching up on the season 5 dub of My Hero Academia in my current anime drought... I already kind of know what will happen, but it's fun to pass the time!
I have yet to watch that. I took a weeks vacation starting today and I am looking forward to watching part 1 of season 5 as well as where I left off on One Piece.

I'm currently in the middle of 8 series, 5 of which are airing, so it honestly doesn't feel like that much haha. I'm watching Tokyo Revengers S2, My Hero Academia S6, Bungou Stray Dogs S4, BLUELOCK, Nier: Automata, Fire Force S1, Fruits Basket S1, and just over halfway through rewatching Hunter x Hunter.

As a manga reader of Tokyo Revengers and My Hero Academia, the new seasons have exceeded my expectations and I'm so excited to see parts I know are coming. The Chifuyu and Dabi scenes I'd been waiting for were definitely worth the wait.

For BLUELOCK, I wasn't expecting to love a soccer anime this much lol. I'm not into sports really at all, so it was a weird surprise when I got this invested in a sports anime like I did with Haikyu. I definitely recommend it to anyone who has thought about it!

For the rest, I just started or I haven't really formed a full opinion on them yet so I'll be back when I finish them!

I finished Aggretsuko S5 and all in all I would say I like it. It's a satisfying end to the series (for the most part), and I think it has a pretty nice synthesis of the overall themes it presents
I think the biggest thing I haven't liked about S4 and S5 is how Retsuko has grown farther and farther apart from her coworkers (particularly Gori and Washimi, both of whom I love). S3 had the OTM Girls, and I love them as well so that was a good replacement, but I don't remember anybody much from S4, and that revolved mostly around Haida.
But thinking about it I think it makes sense with Retsuko's character progression throughout the series. S1 starts with her as "friends" with Haida and Fenneko, but neither of them really knows the real her and she feels like she has to keep her death metal side a secret. Throughout the seasons she keeps opening up, and while her coworkers are her friends, there's more to her life now than just work. And that's nice tbh, as a 20-something kind of struggling with this myself and trying to get out of my shell it's nice to see and relatable.
Also: I saw a comic once complaining that the series likes to "reset" any major progress made in one season at the beginning of the next, and while initially I agreed with it, I feel like S4 and S5 both attempted to correct this. Idk if Aggretsuko was initially supposed to be a one and done type of thing, but I feel like S4 and S5 both reckon with what happens in S3, although they never directly make the parallel. Retsuko becomes withdrawn and subdued following her stalker attack, and while the worst part of her depression disappears, you can still see its effects later. She gets mad at Haida a couple times, but she never really goes off the way she used to. It's like after putting herself out there the way she did and experiencing such negative consequences, she tries to avoid taking up space. She says multiple times this season "I just want a quiet life" etc. etc. until finally she realizes she has to stop burying such an integral part of her and allow herself to feel again. Did they approach it the best way? Probably not. Ultimately this series is a comedy so it's not surprising, and you may say "well why include that incident at all then?", but overall I think it fits.
They also got me back on board with the Haida/Retsuko pairing. It's nice they got married. They seem genuinely suited for one another now that Haida isn't so down on himself and is supporting her (his face at that first political rally was a nice callback to S3 when he first saw her at an OTM Girls gig). I wasn't expecting huge romantic overtures after the way her romance with Tadano played out, so it was okay with me.
Anyway I really like how they captured that specific millennial/Gen Z ennui so many are experiencing rn. I think they could have set up certain plot lines earlier in the series for better payoff, but I think they did their thing well with some hiccups along the way. S5 could have been funnier, though!

At some point I'd like to go back and rewatch the whole series, but for now I'm gonna be moving on. I might try giving Gundam Wing a watch finally (it's what I thought I was watching when I watched SEED 😭 I got confused lmao), and I found Princess Tutu subbed on a Facebook page so I'd like to give that a go now as well!

Back