• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

My boyfriend and I are watching clannad atm, on season 2, we’re just watching it to find out what’s the big dealio about it, personally from what I’ve watched so far, I don’t get it but it’s funny at times. The girls cringe me out so much 😂 and now I’ve been finding myself humming the OP of the second season often AAAHHH
Post automatically merged:

Anyone watched Asobi asobase?

Almost done with Violet Evergarden, not my usual setting but it's just so beautiful all around. Personally I think I like the movie better though, I wouldn't say it's my favorite story but I think the longer format works really well.

I stopped watching anime for a while, and recently i started rewatching what i'd seen of My Hero Academia so I could catch up on it... and I got myself obsessed. I'm a few episodes into the second half of the fourth season and I really love it, I'm thinking about doing the same thing with Haikyuu next because that one's definitely an all time fave. Beyond that I have a bunch of seasonal anime from last summer that I never finished, and a plan to watch section on MAL that's super big, so I think my anime addiction is back in full swing lol

Currently watching: Tower of God, My Next Life as a Villainess, Fruits Basket, and Log Horizon (rewatch)

Tower of God:
Probably started off with what I consider the worst first episode I’ve ever seen. It raised a lot of questions while somehow failing to draw any interest. I decided to give it another chance and ended up watching past Episode 2—a slight but mostly insignificant improvement—solely for the giant alligator. Since then, it’s managed to pull me in with its world and characters. A lot is still left very vague, but there’s enough substance now to keep me curious for more.

My Next Life as a Villainess:
Compared to the previous one, this show took a turn for the worse. Initially it surprised me with how fresh and unexpected the story was developing—but for the last few episodes it’s just seemed like generic fluff. The protagonist went from endearingly oblivious to obnoxiously dense, and the plot has lost almost all of its initial conflict and intrigue imo. Here’s hoping it’ll defy expectations a second time.

Fruits Basket:
This remake has been my first exposure to the story, and I’ve been liking it pretty consistently since it started. I don’t think the characters and their dynamics are nearly as deep or developed as people make them out to be, but it’s well done nonetheless. The background/secret of the Soma family is my primary interest, but I definitely see myself enjoying the ride until I get to those answers.

Log Horizon (2014):
Hands-down my favorite Isekai and imo the best implementation of the whole “being transported to the world of a video game” trope. It’s approach to the concept is detailed and reflects actual MMO culture—right down to small but fun aspects like people’s ridiculous usernames or getups (rl players would totally call themselves Boss Bolognese or William Massachusetts, and wear everything from the most over-the-top armor, over skimpy outfits to full teddy bear costumes!) This “realistic” approach also extends to the societal implications that such circumstances would bring: how do differences between veteran players and newcomers factor into daily life? what will the relationship between players and “NPCs” be like? etc.

I can only recommend it to anyone who already likes the Isekai genre or has an interest in video games/MMOs. Season 3 is due to air later this year!

Last edited:
I just finished MHA s4 this morning!! I love Hawks' design and the very end was super interesting, so hype for s5!!!

I'm thinking i may start beastars because i was interested in it before it came out last summer and i've heard a lot of good things, though i might also just go into haikyuu... yeah i think i'll revisit my favorite volleyball team and watch beastars after. ahhh i'm so excited to watch haikyuu again!! so good

also i'm heavily considering blowing all my savings on buying almost every MHA manga volume, because idk if i can wait til s5 and i've heard a tiny bit about the next arc and it makes me really excited... i forgot how addicting anime can be! especially when you have some amazing shows that got new seasons while you weren't looking lol

Brynhildr in the Darkness is... words fail but I have only three eps left so... I don’t even know... Why can’t they all be Konosuba?? And I recently watched School Live so my curve swung down deeply... Time to go finish rewatching Gintama for a bit.

After finishing the live-action Kakegurui, I've decided to start on That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. I've only watched the first episode so far, but man it makes me want to be a slime. I seriously can't figure out if there's a down-side yet.

I watched Ocean Waves last night and it's pretty good.

I don't want to speak on the romance aspect of the movie because it was very subtle and I need to watch it again to understand it.

But I just wanted to say how much I like Rikako as a character. I know people really dislike her and I can't argue against that, but I see her violence more of a reflection of the past and choose to ignore it as it was something the creators probably didn't think too much about. She pushes people away because she's hurt. These days she'd probably just shove him to showcase the emotional distance between the two.

I like headstrong characters and I do love *****y female characters that eventually calm down but never lose their fire inside. That's just my preference, I like characters who take action and formed their own opinion. So I really liked it when Rikako never changed her opinion about the new town. She doesn't like it because she doesn't feel comfortable in a close-knitted community. She doesn't want to have to do things just because a small community expects her to do them. People don't like her attitude, but she just keeps to herself and studies so that she can move back and be accepted into a good college in a busy city where she feels at home. When she loaned money from Taku I definitely expected that to turn into a conflict, but she just saved up to fly home for once and she knew that her father would give her some money out of guilt. Yet she still wanted to see him because she loves him.

And I also do like the romance, the scene of Taku understanding why Rikako loves Tokyo and agreeing with it is still in my mind. They seek out the same future, which is not true for either Rikako and Yutaka or even Taku and Yutaka. Yutaka does influence Taku and he considers other big cities, but he still carries that stubborn vulnerable girl in his heart because he just likes her. There's nothing more to it, he was attracted to her (shown through the beach pic he bought) and he understood and supported her ideas and feelings. As I said I need to rewatch it to get a better idea of the subtle romance, but from what I remember I can definitely see how they gravitate towards each other without being able to say something. I've seen that there are videos about Taku being queer and having had feelings for Yutaka, but ultimately dismissing them in favor for a straight relationship he feels more comfortable in, but I didn't really notice it on my first watch. I paid attention to his relation to Yutaka, but I also thought the movie wasn't about Taku forming a romantic relationship with a female classmate. His interest in Rikako seemed genuine enough to me, but I'm not saying that there isn't an indication of him being bi and having considered a relationship with Yutaka.

It's definitely something I need to pay closer attention to on a second watch. The movie is incredibly subtle, but I just love coming of age stories. Normally I'm not that into romance stories, but Studio Ghibli and animes like Toradora really made me appreciate well-written love stories. I wanted more from this movie, more story to see them fall in love, but I see the point of not showing everything. At first I thought I dislike this movie, but after thinking about it a lot I really love it actually.

Last edited:
Current Status:

w/ bf:
Tower of God - caught up <3
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - finished ~
Vinland Saga - 12/24

self:
- I don't watch anime but here's the manga/LNs I've been reading recently, I guess -

Classroom of the Elite - vol. 3 (LN)
the Alchemist who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet Life - vol. 1 (LN)
ReLIFE
Saihate no Paladin
To Your Eternity
too many more to list

Current Status:

w/ bf:
Tower of God - caught up <3
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei - finished ~
Vinland Saga - 12/24

self:
- I don't watch anime but here's the manga/LNs I've been reading recently, I guess -

Classroom of the Elite - vol. 3 (LN)
the Alchemist who Survived Now Dreams of a Quiet Life - vol. 1 (LN)
ReLIFE
Saihate no Paladin
To Your Eternity
too many more to list
Oooh I'm reading ReLIFE too

I’m mostly just watching shows from my backlog right now. Nichijou and Hitoribocchi have satisfied my comedy itch, while Cowboy Bebop has kept me on the edge of my seat.

im halfway through school-live right now and i love it, horror is probably my least favourite genre but god this is good. the first episode is one of my favourite anime episodes now, and episode 6 was super sad, i shouldve seen it coming but aaa that was deep D :
ive also been reading tonikaku cawaii, its super cute and im excited for the anime in october. i read hina change which was really good but it was kinda traumatising lmao. im trying to catch up on the promised neverland and honestly although the manga is great i actually prefer the anime, i think the soundtracks helped a lot.

i've been watching one piece for about a month now, im halfway towards being caught up and wow what a ride its been. the decision to split the straw hats up and place them all around the world to get stronger is such a great idea and i'm really excited for when they all finally reunite

Last edited:
Back