• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

What's your biggest 'unpopular/controversial' opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is a very controversial unpopular opinion that I know a lot of people will disagree with. To me most farming simulators are okay at best and rarely live up to their full potential.

Like many, I started playing farming simulators with Stardew Valley. It blew my mind because of how relaxing, yet in depth it was with what it offered to the player. You could approach the game in so many different ways. Aside from one mechanic that I’ll bring up in a bit, every element felt fleshed out. When I found out it was based on the Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons I decided to try several games in those series. What I was left with was disappointment.

Stardew Valley nearly perfected the genre. So much so that every game that came before it feels like a cheap imitation. No matter how many games I tried nearly all of them had clunky farming, repetitive dialogue, and had little to do outside of maintaining crops and spamming gifts. The only one in those two series that really impressed me was Trio of Towns. Each town had a fun, distinct culture, the farming was streamlined, and the characters were fun to talk to (although the dialogue could get repetitive here too). Frustrated, I turned to the Rune Factory series.

I picked up Rune Factory 4 for the Switch and loved it at first. The plot was cute and interesting, the characters were charming and had lots to say, and the farming felt fluid. Then I reached level 30. The game does a horrible job at explaining its weapon and armor crafting system. As a result, I wasn’t able to improve my gear. Even on the easiest difficulty, enemies were still destroying me because I couldn’t figure out an essential game mechanic. The only two guides I found were convoluted and only made things harder. I ultimately gave up on my second favorite game in the genre because it didn’t properly explain how to progress.

The one thing that I think holds back every game in this genre is the social interaction system. I have yet to see a farming simulator where you aren’t gifting the same items over and over again to befriend characters. It’s such a basic way to interact with characters and doesn’t give them the chance to shine. Socializing in real life involves speaking with people and getting to know them. What if a farming simulator had you participate in interactive conversations with the characters? It would give the writers opportunities to establish their personalities and be more rewarding than “I gave the girl an amethyst, so now she likes me more.” It doesn’t help that many games in this genre have a very limited amount of character interactions to begin with. My pitch isn’t perfect, but it would certainly be more interesting than item spamming.

The one thing that I think holds back every game in this genre is the social interaction system. I have yet to see a farming simulator where you aren’t gifting the same items over and over again to befriend characters.
What if a farming simulator had you participate in interactive conversations with the characters?
There is a farming game that handles the social aspect this way: Harvestella. In terms of gameplay, it is similar to Rune Factory in that it has a main plot and dungeon crawler elements in addition to being a life sim - and bonus is it is also beautiful to look at! I've been playing farming sims since the early 00s and Harvestella is everything I didn't know I needed. I'd absolutely recommend giving it a go.

Reactions: Neb
I’ve never liked the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers. Even as a kid I felt bored and annoyed by them. I actually had this one Power Ranger action figure and I used to put him on trial for some random crime and his sentence would always be that a holiday parade would go by on top of his body and so I had these McDonald’s Happy Meal Birthday Celebration toys run over him first, followed by some animals, and then the Hot Wheels cars.

Pokemon is overrated.
AGREE.
Ever since I played Sword. It was so boring. I hated encountering fights and that's the whole point of Pokémon. The only part I liked was exploring worlds and buying clothes and customizing my character (....which is probably why I like games like Minecraft and Animal Crossing better).
But pokémon is still boring. Sure the animals or whatever are cute but it's so stressful trying to find the right one and the right move for the job. And then the story progression is so painful. Bleh.

hottest of the takes: I'm actually okay with the voice Chris Pratt has provided for Mario. idk why so many people have a problem w it lmao.

I told @/Shellzilla_515 it's prob because I'm just blown away by this movie, and bc it's so gorgeous and prob my favorite IP of all time I lose all sense of judgement. I can look past the issues w Chris Pratt and know that this is very likely become one of my favorite movies of all time anyways. seriously can't wait to see it in theaters day one.

King Shark deserves his own movie. He’s adorable as is, but I think flip-flops or chunky Vans would complete his look.

I don't really think Chris Pratt's Mario voice is actually as bad as everyone tries to make it
it's not really a good voice to represent Mario in my opinion but I can definitely tolerate his voice for the whole movie
I just feel extremely disappointed about how the cast isn't gonna be as inclusive as I was hoping and only the top most iconic Mario characters get to be included I know we are gonna get some surprised cameos we don't know about yet but I don't really have my hopes up
I likely won't ever be able to see the movie anyways if they are only gonna put it in movie theaters and streaming services I don't have.
I know! The trailer looked pretty good, too. (My dad thinks Jon Lovitz should voice Mario for some reason…?)

I have no problem with the choices of the actors to play the characters. Mario was never actually said to be from Italy, just that he was Italian which could mean that is where his parents or grandparents came from and eventually moved to the US. Kids of immigrants often do not develop the same accent as their parents. I most certainly don’t have an accent like my mom did. My dad has a slight one if you listen closely. And I like how Peach’s actress is a bit energetic and eager to help save the day and protect her kingdom and its citizens. The voices aren’t insulting in any way and there are ways that could have made them sound dreadful.

the “this happened to my buddy eric” or “eric’s party in ‘04” memes aren’t funny and i get somewhat annoyed when i see chains of it posted in social media comment sections. i know i could just not look at the comment section, and a lot of other memes are also repetitive but this one is very annoying in specific to me for some reason.

I'm really looking forward to playing Hogwarts Legacy and no longer care what people think of me or others who are also excited to play it in February.

I'm really looking forward to playing Hogwarts Legacy and no longer care what people think of me or others who are also excited to play it in February.

I'm also looking forward to this one, but in case you haven't heard the news already, there have been newly announced delays to the game on certain platforms:

February 10, 2023 on PS5, Xbox X|S, and PC.​
April 4, 2023 on PS4 and Xbox One.​
July 25, 2023 on Nintendo Switch.​

the “this happened to my buddy eric” or “eric’s party in ‘04” memes aren’t funny and i get somewhat annoyed when i see chains of it posted in social media comment sections. i know i could just not look at the comment section, and a lot of other memes are also repetitive but this one is very annoying in specific to me for some reason.
Never heard of that meme. And seeing “eric’s party in ‘04” in your comment somehow made me think of the Yazoo (or Yaz in the US) album Upstairs At Eric’s.

I'm also looking forward to this one, but in case you haven't heard the news already, there have been newly announced delays to the game on certain platforms:

February 10, 2023 on PS5, Xbox X|S, and PC.​
April 4, 2023 on PS4 and Xbox One.​
July 25, 2023 on Nintendo Switch.​
Thank you and yes I had heard about the delays, thank goodness I went ahead and bought a Series S Xbox instead of the OLED Switch.

Thank you and yes I had heard about the delays, thank goodness I went ahead and bought a Series S Xbox instead of the OLED Switch.
Glad that decision worked out well! I've a PS5 so will be playing on that. It is rare I buy a game at launch these days but this is one I'll be making an exception for.

Never heard of that meme. And seeing “eric’s party in ‘04” in your comment somehow made me think of the Yazoo (or Yaz in the US) album Upstairs At Eric’s.
well i guess i also kind of worded it wrong, it’s more of a comment section chain than anything. it’s never in standard image meme format from what ive seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back