• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

Are you good at making friends? (Real Life!)

Are you good at it?

• Awesome!

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • Not bad at all!

Votes: 31 12.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 58 24.2%
  • Not good.

Votes: 50 20.8%
  • Terrible

Votes: 84 35.0%

• Total voters
Haha no... I'm not very outgoing and I often end up being too shy to approach people who I know I would have a good conversation with. Like one time I overheard people talking about Smash Bros and I had so much I wanted to add but I was just too afraid to join in because I didn't want to seem rude or weird or something. :( My friends now really don't share any interests with me like video games but we're all kinda nerdy in our own ways which makes us understand each other better than average people because we get what it's like to have non-popular interests I guess? I'm alright with small talk and being acquaintances but if it starts to be anything more than that I panic and basically ghost them because I'm nervous

I am extremely bad at it. I tend to make things really awkward and that is even when I have the courage to go up to someone. I am a shy and introverted person so that pretty much explains why I'm so bad at it. I can't even really remember how I met my friends that I have now. I think they just came up to me one day.

in school, i was kinda so-so. i only had a few close friends, but a ton of acquaintances. currently, with no school, i don't have a problem talking to people (for the most part), but we never exchange numbers or social media or anything, so it's a one time occurrence

Here's a quick summary of my social life: I've made more friends in four days of music camp with middle-schoolers, than I have in two years of college.

I can't socialize with people my age. Probably because I relate more to the things which younger kids talk about more. For the most part I have their sense of humor, and I just can't really relate to people my age in that sense.

Probably neutral. I’m pretty friendly and don’t mind initiating conversations with people I think I’d get along with. I just chit chat with someone if I think we’ll have something in common and especially if they’re more quiet than I am. I also try really hard to get to know them and text them and stuff to be better friends. I’m pretty quiet and shy tho so if i don’t think we have something in common or if they’re a more talkative person than me, then i don’t approach them and just can’t think of anything to say.

Once I get started talking with someone it isn't too difficult for me, but I'm terrified of starting conversations lol

I think so. While I was in public schools, I had a lot of genuine friends. Outside school or work, it's probably a little bit more difficult to make friends that actually last and are truly close though, particularly due to things such as the "hustle and bustle" of everyday life (that and the current pandemic).

Overall, I can still make new friends, but these days I mostly just prefer to be by myself.

Last edited:
i have like 0 friends so no i'm not particularly good with other people

I haven't had a friend IRL since 2005, so naturally the answer is no. I'm super shy and introverted IRL and don't end up initiating a lot of conversations, and other people didn't really bother talking to me during school/university/work so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am very bad at making friends. I'm friendly enough but I never initiate conversations so I don't make friends unless they make the effort to talk to me first. Plus, I'm very introverted so I don't like to hang out with people a lot and I'm kind of private so I don't get close to people very easily.

I'm pretty bad, for several reasons. I am introverted and don't really enjoy social interaction, especially not with people I don't know, making befriending people hard and uncomfortable. I'm also autistic and I want to blame my terrible social skills on that because for real, it's baaad. If that wasn't enough, I'm awkward as hell and mess things up a lot, making me even more nervous and anxious. Even when I like someone I feel anxious to reach out to them afterwards so I don't continue acquaintances that might one day bloom into a friendship.

So basically first off I don't reach out to anyone, then I mess it up by being awkward, socially incompetent and quiet, and to top it off I finish by ghosting or never reaching out again. :') love that about myself

i mean, if i actually TRIED making friends, i would. i don't know how to start convos for my life, but i am good at carrying them once they start. i also reALLY overthink so i sometimes stumble on my words which sucks. not to mention, i speak wAYY too fast sometimes.

I'm pretty bad at making friends. I'm really socially awkward and always worry about the right impression to make. It's not all the time though, I have been able to make friends sometime ago but haven't exactly lately because of the whole world situation. And I'm definitely really bad at keeping friends, it's really easy for me to call out of contact with them.

I've honestly gotten progressively worse over the years at wanting/trying to make friends. It just feels like a lot of commitment I don't have. I am bad at messaging people online as it is. I don't do it on purpose to be mean or anything. I just don't know what to message about. I hate small talk so it has to be something worth talking about.

I don't have any irl friends. Anyone I knew during my school years I have lost contact with. My best friend, which I met in 2012, is an online friend.

Neutral I guess. I used to be better at making and maintaining friendships when I was younger but now I am busier with life and don't see people as often as I used to.
I'd describe myself as an introvert, so I don't like to go out often and if I do usually someone else has to organize it because I could just stay home all the time.

Getting older is defiantly harder to make plans with adult friends, so often times I just talk to people in work or school. We all have jobs, some have families, I feel awkward asking them to hang out if they have things to do.

Back