• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Iono is my favorite gym leader of this region so far. Her design is very memorable and having an electric type gym leader be a streamer is a great idea. I'm not a fan of her ace though... To me Bellibolt is just diet Politoed.

Do you think Pokemon designs are becoming lazier? Or is it just Gen 9 designs in particular?
I found this picture of Chansey and Bellibolt standing next to each other.
View attachment 463551

I don't mind them re-using concepts, but designs though? I'm not sure...
nah this picture makes bellibolt look more like chansey than he really does. he is way rounder, especially his hands and feet and his smile is wider.

the only thing i noticed with gen 9 is that i feel like all the ones they show in trailers are more for merch i feel like? like they are all very round to make easy plushies i think

the only thing i noticed with gen 9 is that i feel like all the ones they show in trailers are more for merch i feel like? like they are all very round to make easy plushies i think
This is what I've noticed and why I say its lazy. The designers could have used Chansey as a base model for making Bellibolt. Its doesn't take anyrhing away from Bellibolt though. Bellibolt seems to resemble a frog purse, which are popular in Japan. I know its going to be a hit with many people.

This is what I've noticed and why I say its lazy. The designers could have used Chansey as a base model for making Bellibolt. Its doesn't take anyrhing away from Bellibolt though. Bellibolt seems to resemble a frog purse, which are popular in Japan. I know its going to be a hit with many people.
yea i get that. i personally dont mind it since i like cute stuff ^^ but i bet the ones they wont show in trailers will be less merch and more normal pokemon haha
that being said, i did here that they changed one of the pokemon designer who worked there since black and white so that might be why some of the designs feel a bit off maybe?

yea i get that. i personally dont mind it since i like cute stuff ^^ but i bet the ones they wont show in trailers will be less merch and more normal pokemon haha
that being said, i did here that they changed one of the pokemon designer who worked there since black and white so that might be why some of the designs feel a bit off maybe?
You mean James Turner? Yes, I know he has left the department. I don’t know if he has a replacement, but I suppose Moxie2D, Elesteva076, or Oscar Belmonte could get promoted. In fact, I’d like to see fans be involved in future projects.

You mean James Turner? Yes, I know he has left the department. I don’t know if he has a replacement, but I suppose Moxie2D, Elesteva076, or Oscar Belmonte could get promoted. In fact, I’d like to see fans be involved in future projects.
yes james turner! tho im not sure how much he actually did but i think he was pretty involved in sword and shield

Several points I didn't mention before...

It looks like Inner Focus for Girafarig will turn into Cud Chew when it evolves. Early Bird will turn into Armor Tail. Sap Sipper is its HA. Not sure if it will change like the regular abilities, but if Farigiraf's sp.attack is higher than its attack it won't see a lot of usage. After analysing Girafarig, its bst, moves, etc., Farigiraf will be an amazing special attacker. Farigiraf had a Ghost terastal in the trailer, which now that I think about it is really good for it. Ghost negates its Bug weakness and it gains an immunity to Fighting. Girafarig has access to Dazzling Gleam, Shadow Ball and Nasty Plot which I think will return as Tms.

Speaking of Tms, the TM Machine is an amazing addition. It adds a ton of replayability to the games. Cram-o-matic from SwSh DLC was a really good addition and the TM Machine reminds me of that. I hope a better form of the C-o-M appears in this game. Crafting has potential in the Pokemon games so I really, really hope they improve on that mechanic.

Lets Go is really looking to be fun to use. Max amount of LetsGo mons in TmStar bases looks to be 3. Its nice beating all the grunts at once than individual boring battles, but thats my take. While I was looking back at LetsGo battling I also found this little guy
View attachment 463077
Looks like the Armarouge/Ceruledge prevo since this is the Fire Squad base. I am wondering how early we can get specific mons. To get our ideal team, we may have to backtrack a lot.

Anyway, on to the November trailer since I don't expect another one this month. I really, really (REALLY) hope the final trailer before release has at least the second stages of the starters.
A little late reply, but all the stuff you talked about in regards to Faragiraf was really interesting to read man. Would be cool to hear/read your thoughts on more stuff as it comes out 👀

Serebii got hands on with the game and here’s the preview video as a result for those interested.

Serebii got hands on with the game and here’s the preview video as a result for those interested.

I liked GameXplain's video more, which I found more extensive.

Good news from today's reviewers:

1. You can access all of Koraidon/Miraidon's modes from the very start...meaning you can go literally everywhere!

2. Overworld shinies return!

3. PC can be accessed anywhere, you can also nickname your mons without a Name Rater.

4. You can start NPC trainer battles by talking to them rather than them looking at you.

5. Physical character customisation is extensive, moreso than any other game. You can change what your character looks like from the very beginning, which is what Im sure everyone wanted.

6. Trainer movement options are varied and the trainer reacts to different weather and climate (such as covering themselves when it rains). No dodge roll like in Legends because wild mons cant hit you with attacks.

7. Only one loading zone. Mesagoza, the school city.

Bad news...

1. You only get 4 clothing options: Summer wear, spring wear, autumn wear and winter wear. You can chose any of them to wear regardless of the current season.

2. Team Star forces you to go through the front door apparently. They get mad if you try to sneak in from the sides.

So far everything looks ok. The reviewers were most likely only given officially revealed mons to play with and can only review specific info about the game. I'm still hyped though! Only a few weeks away until release!

I’m glad this isn’t much of a spoiler alert. And I am not completely in the negative of the two detriments shown.
I’m still in the excited department and will still be a player of both games.

I’m not surprised that Gamexplain’s video was more thorough. I tend to avoid them though as they didn’t treat their employees very well in the past. Hopefully it’s better now, but only current employees would know for sure.

Anyways so far these games are looking very good. Definitely a huge step forward from Sword and Shield to say the least.

1. You only get 4 clothing options: Summer wear, spring wear, autumn wear and winter wear. You can chose any of them to wear regardless of the current season.
didn't game explain's video literally say that you can buy more clothes outside of the uniforms though? like shirts, gloves and even phone cases? they might all be school/uniform themed, but it sounds like you're not actually restricted to just four outfits for the entire game.

aside from that, the extensive face/hair customization, and the fact that you can do it before you even enter the game makes me want to play it right now lol. the customizing is always what excites me the most about these games, and while i haven't seen a lot of varied long hairstyles yet, i can't wait to make my player character look more like my oc than she has in previous games.

didn't game explain's video literally say that you can buy more clothes outside of the uniforms though? like shirts, gloves and even phone cases? they might all be school/uniform themed, but it sounds like you're not actually restricted to just four outfits for the entire game.
I went through xplains video again and yes, it sounds like that is the case (its number 7 of 20). If we do end up having more clothing customisation unrelated to school I will immediately change out of the uniform once I'm able to. Xplain didnt really show what kind of clothing that is available to us which is why I'm still a little skeptical. If its more than SwSh I will be really happy.

my only real concern with the game is that it might be a little too open-world for me. i know people always whined about the 'hand-holding', but i always prefer direction, otherwise i'll spend too much time having to explore and making sure i cover every inch of the map to avoid missing anything. it's a big problem i have with genshin lol, although i doubt scarvio's map will be anywhere near that big.

my only real concern with the game is that it might be a little too open-world for me. i know people always whined about the 'hand-holding', but i always prefer direction, otherwise i'll spend too much time having to explore and making sure i cover every inch of the map to avoid missing anything. it's a big problem i have with genshin lol, although i doubt scarvio's map will be anywhere near that big.
Well, Serebii did say that Nemona told him to go check on Arven after he beat Brassius so there is still an order that the game recommends you going in. However, with the open world now you can just go whatever order that you want instead of what is dictated by the game. Its the best of both worlds in my opinion. Those who hated handholding can play the game however they want. Those who want a certain direction can play like the past games.

Well, Serebii did say that Nemona told him to go check on Arven after he beat Brassius so there is still an order that the game recommends you going in. However, with the open world now you can just go whatever order that you want instead of what is dictated by the game. Its the best of both worlds in my opinion. Those who hated handholding can play the game however they want. Those who want a certain direction can play like the past games.
unfortunately, that's the kind of direction that only minimally helps. genshin (and arceus, if we want to keep it pokemon themed) does give you objectives and tells you where to go, but it doesn't usually 'make' you. sometimes, areas will be locked off because you haven't done certain quests or received certain items etc. but for the most part you're free to explore the entire region without needing to do any of the tasks. it was a problem i ran into a fair amount with arceus, which resulted in my team being over-leveled for a lot of the game, and since i don't think level-scaling is present in this game, it's likely going to be a repeat issue. i think the better compromise would've been having a set route (city a, city b, city c etc.) but having the luxury to explore the entirety of each city/area before you completed the story needed to access the next. hardly what i would call hand-holding, but it provides somewhat of a safety net and direction for people like me who have a bad tendency to neglect the story in favor of exploring every nook and cranny. (as for why i do it, i could not to tell you. i think it's some form of 'fomo', wanting to make sure i don't miss any items or puzzles etc.)

like i said, it's not a major complaint; it's not going to be make or break the game for me, but arceus was pushing it in terms of being too open world for my brain. (to a very overwhelming degree as the locations gradually got bigger and bigger.) so, i just worry about how distracted and overwhelmed i'm going to get with this game in terms of choosing which route to take and which stories to do first etc.

Another interesting fact from one of the reviewers is that there might be 18 badges in the game. Mela, the Team Star Fire squad user will give a badge for defeating her, presumably the Fire-type badge. I'm assuming the other 4 Team Star squad leaders will also give out their own non-league badges. Not really sure how to get the other ones, maybe the Rock-type badge is earned for defeating Klawf, the Rock-type Titan? We will have to see...

Interesting thing about Terastalization...

When a Pokémon Terastalizes they change typing...however...they also keep their previous STAB (same type attack bonus)!

For example, an Armarouge that Terastalizes into a Fire Tera type keeps its Psychic STAB despite losing its typing.

Fire: 1.5× -> 2.0
Psychic: 1.5×

This can be seen in dual types with different tera types

For example: Dhelmise
Dhelmise has Steelworker which helps it gain a Steel stab so...a Dhelmise with a Water tera...

Grass: 1.5×
Ghost: 1.5×
Steel: 1.5×
Water: 1.5×

A Dhelmise with a Steel tera will have its Steel STAB via Steelworker 2×

Terastalization will be the new meta mechanic moreso than Dynamax. I know everyone doesn't like the hats but the type changing concept will allow many mons to be used in competitive.

Tera Blast was confirmed to have an 80 base power by the reviewers.

Back