• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Could somebody help me with the picnic feature? Specifically, breeding?

Internet says to get the two Pokemon you want an egg of and leave them in the picnic. Some say walk, others say you don't have to. After a while, an egg (or maybe more) will appear in the picnic basket.

Well... I can't get it to work properly. I have my starter and a Ditto alone in the picnic area, but no matter what I do, after five minutes, no egg. In fact, I've only obtained two eggs so far after about one minute - and neither of them would breed a second time, no matter how long I waited. I've checked around for help, and I've seen some others with the same problem. Is there something I'm missing? I know there are some sandwiches that boost the likelihood, but I didn't think waiting five minutes would be normal for it without them...

i literally don't understand how this game can exist on the same platform as xenoblade and botw, it looks like a game on the 3ds or something. i'm not saying i expect that standard but i do expect more than what we got which feels like a game that wasn't tested properly, it shouldn't be released in this state. i physically laughed at the frame rate in the city. honestly i've had fun so far but idk, it's not worth the price so far

Last edited:
Could somebody help me with the picnic feature? Specifically, breeding?

Internet says to get the two Pokemon you want an egg of and leave them in the picnic. Some say walk, others say you don't have to. After a while, an egg (or maybe more) will appear in the picnic basket.

Well... I can't get it to work properly. I have my starter and a Ditto alone in the picnic area, but no matter what I do, after five minutes, no egg. In fact, I've only obtained two eggs so far after about one minute - and neither of them would breed a second time, no matter how long I waited. I've checked around for help, and I've seen some others with the same problem. Is there something I'm missing? I know there are some sandwiches that boost the likelihood, but I didn't think waiting five minutes would be normal for it without them...
i can only relay my own experience which was to start a picnic with a ditto + whatever pokemon i wanted to breed, put away my legendary (idk if that actually matters), make a sandwich and go afk. within ten minutes i'll usually have five eevee eggs. it might be that the rarer a pokemon, the longer it takes an egg to appear, as is the case with hatching, but i don't know for certain.
Post automatically merged:

also what i came here to say is: the box lag? what is going on there? bad enough that everything in the overworld lags and moves like it's running on a pc from the 90s, but why are my boxes lagging? it takes 3-5 seconds of sitting on a page for everything to gradually appear, and none of the boxes are full. i have one of maybe 100 pokemon so far, and they're all spread out.

they 100% should've kept in loading zones if it would've prevented this mess. i'd rather wait a few seconds between areas than have literally every aspect of the game run like garbage.

Bisharp Fun Time!

Ok, I want to start out and say I found my Pawniard in a Fairy Tera den. It has an Impish nature and a perfect Defense IV (Capable of taking hits). I went straight to work and gruellingly found out more info about how to evolve my favourite gen5 Dark type. First you must find a Leaders Crest held by a wild Bisharp that commands Pawniard. Lone Bisharps do not have it so dont try. Once you have a Leaders Crest give it to your Bisharp and defeat another Bisharp holding a Leaders Crest. Sounds painful? It was. After you accomplish that level it up to evolve it
316413026_10229090603231575_9089286843366531206_n.jpg

316529019_10229090611871791_6048258644711633056_n.jpg

By the way. Inner Focus turns into Supreme Overlord. Defiant remains Defiant.
316551291_10229090616951918_10232357533339199_n.jpg

Bisharp Fun Time!

Ok, I want to start out and say I found my Pawniard in a Fairy Tera den. It has an Impish nature and a perfect Defense IV (Capable of taking hits). I went straight to work and gruellingly found out more info about how to evolve my favourite gen5 Dark type. First you must find a Leaders Crest held by a wild Bisharp that commands Pawniard. Lone Bisharps do not have it so dont try. Once you have a Leaders Crest give it to your Bisharp and defeat another Bisharp holding a Leaders Crest. Sounds painful? It was. After you accomplish that level it up to evolve it
View attachment 469684
View attachment 469685
By the way. Inner Focus turns into Supreme Overlord. Defiant remains Defiant.
View attachment 469686

Holy smokes whelp I guess I have this to look forward to once I start completing my living master Dex for these new Pokémon.

Started playing and so far I'm enjoying it! Clocked in around 2.5 hours already and I haven't even gotten to the school yet lol. I've successfully avoided majority of spoilers and am trying not to search the new Pokemon unless I encounter them in the wild (though I do search for their evos once I get them so I know if they're going on my team). Right now I'm not vibing the new Pokemon I got, but I'm still very early in game so that will definitely change. The only Pokemon I've planned to keep on my team is Cetitan, hope I run into its pre-evo soon. :]

For my starter: I tried really hard to like Spirigatito, but its final evolution just isn't doing it for me 😅 Fuecoco was a no-go from the start bc idk how to even explain its final evo lol. Went with Quaxly and quickly fell in love with his final evo, he looks dumb but he is serving it. Named him Oatley.

I'll upload pics later once I get home from work, very excited to continue!

the only really big bug thing ive seen is that the elite 4 and champion music are bugged so it only plays the first notes of the song but never really starts it? which is annoying and sad since ive heard the themes on youtube and they were really good
so apperently the music works for violet but not for scarlet. thats.. interesting

The multiplayer bug compilations are funny.

Oh my gosh, I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or facepalm.

I definitely am going to pass on getting the game until the DLC comes out, I think. Maybe by then they'll have fixed whatever's going on to make the game play so poorly. I've heard that some people haven't experienced as many glitches, but the terrible framerate issues are just a complete dealbreaker for me. Watching the Ocarina of Time windmill in comparison with the SV one is humorously painful. Just wow.

Oh my gosh, I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or facepalm.

I definitely am going to pass on getting the game until the DLC comes out, I think. Maybe by then they'll have fixed whatever's going on to make the game play so poorly. I've heard that some people haven't experienced as many glitches, but the terrible framerate issues are just a complete dealbreaker for me. Watching the Ocarina of Time windmill in comparison with the SV one is humorously painful. Just wow.
Oddly I'm regretting buying both versions mostly due to the look of the human characters, and a few other things. It's a bit too different for me.

Found more.

i can only relay my own experience which was to start a picnic with a ditto + whatever pokemon i wanted to breed, put away my legendary (idk if that actually matters), make a sandwich and go afk. within ten minutes i'll usually have five eevee eggs. it might be that the rarer a pokemon, the longer it takes an egg to appear, as is the case with hatching, but i don't know for certain.
Thank you, that helped a lot. I waited a lot longer and finally managed to get some Quax eggs.

I'm currently at the last gym, finished Team Star (or will have, once the game registers the moon and blanket of stars as night and reveals the last battle for this storyline), finished the titans, and have around half of the dex complete. I've been spending the bulk of my time catching them and scouring the field for as many items as I can.

Speaking of glitches, had an interesting one last night - went into a raid online, and it gave me someone else's moveset. When I selected a move, my Annihilape performed it, and their Tinkatoo used my move instead.

I've jumped into this one completely blind but I already know I'm going to sink a lot of time into it. The newest Pokémon game I've played is Shield so the idea of an open world in a monster catching RPG is brand new to me (and also unexpected because I did zero research on this game!). Although my first thought—with the infinite wisdom that comes with one hour of playtime—is that it feels like it was designed with the intention of being played handheld rather docked. So, I'm now wondering if the reason recent Pokémon games tend to feel off is because the developers haven't really adapted to this move to a hybrid console.

I really wish Pokémon games would utilise cloud saves. I was hoping Scarlet/Violet would change this but nope! I understand why they don't utilise this feature, but manually transferring my save back and forth between my main Switch (remains docked) and my Switch Lite makes me nervous that the data is going to corrupt.

Also, when can I take off this ugly hat and get some big boy pants? Running around in shorts is not my vibe.

Musings and complaints aside, I chose Sprigatito. I hope he stays cute. 🤞
They did implement back up save in Scarlet/Violet, idk if it will help you but I'll share it here anyway incase others didn't know about it and could use the info. It is a hidden menu for some odd reason. I randomly ran into it on youtube shorts.
Go to the title screen, press UP + B + X and a menu will come up. And it supposedly still works even if you turn auto save off. Brybry_ on Twitch discovered it.

Went with Quaxly and quickly fell in love with his final evo, he looks dumb but he is serving it.
This is my sentiment exactly. I went with Sprigatito in Violet, which was the one I played first. Chose Quaxly in Scarlet. I have him in his second evo now, and he’s fabulous I love him. I can’t wait to get him to his final evo.

I finished the eighth gym last night. It was so much fun to play. Although, I’m in no rush to beat the elite four.

not y'all beating most of the story while i'm too busy getting lost in this obscenely large map 😭 only reason i have three gyms down is because i speed ran to the water town (and yeeted off the cliff into the desert to circumvent team star) to unlock the evolution stones lmao. can confirm this game really needed level scaling.

I did get lost a few times, and I had to follow a walkthrough most of the game. I also did the gyms out of order. I ended up doing the ice type gym sixth, which was the highest level gym by far. This made the last two gyms feel like a walk in the park.

I'm definitely playing slowly. Right now, I'm collecting pokemon for boxes, working on leveling up a versatile team, and opening up areas so I'll be able to quick fly around later on. It usually takes me forever to complete these games, but I'm having lots of fun, so it's okay.

i'm not entirely sure how you unlock climbing/swimming, but since i got dashing from the first titan, i would assume it's that, which is why having a non-linear story also doesn't make much sense to me. aside from the detrimental lack of level-scaling (which i wouldn't have thought is too hard to implement?), you can't actually go anywhere you'd like when terrain mobility is locked behind a specific path, and if you decide to complete that entire path first to gain versatility, then you're just going to blaze through the early stages of the other two paths. ironically, that problem could be solved with level-scaling. if they weren't going to include level-scaling, i would've preferred for it to be more like pla where terrain matched closer to the ride pokemon you unlocked in that area. i.e. there were cliffs in earlier areas, but they weren't abound until you unlocked sneasler.

Not sure about climbing, but I unlocked swimming by beating the Open Sky Titan. Yes, it makes things a bit easier to get around, but I had to work on leveling up to beat it, so I don't see the non-linear part being a problem. Going from one titan to the next, I would have had my tail handed to me. Same with gyms. Haven't started on the star bosses yet, because I know I don't have anything ready for them.

Back