• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

haven't actually finished the game yet (1 boss, 3 gyms, 2 titans), but i wanted to put my thoughts so far together in one post. prefacing this by saying it's largely critical, so if you're "anti-negativity", obviously don't read, and a lot of said criticisms could've been fixed with the simple addition of level-scaling. i'm sure i've forgotten stuff, but 🤷‍♀️ spoilered for length.

so, pros first. (i wish i had more to say, but a lot of the things i like feel pretty obvious?)
  • i like the story so far, even if i'm pretty sure i've already guessed the team star twist. it's character-driven, and the main players have decent motives sans nemona, imo.
  • despite my gripes with it below, i do actually like that the game is open-world. (but i also like the more 'hand-holding' style.)
  • a lot of the character designs are really good, although some of the npc models feel a little off, especially the female ones for some reason?
  • even though i do think it suffers from the lack of level-scaling, and there clearly being an order implemented, i do enjoy the freedom of choice in which storyline you go with first, as well as the ability to simply alternate between all three.
  • visually, the game is good, but... well.
  • the auto-battling feature is fun !! it is a little finicky, with the pokemon sometimes having delayed responses or going in Completely the wrong direction, but it's still enjoyable and much quicker. i love watching meowscarada just go absolutely ape and start obliterating every pokemon around it lmao
  • i really loved being able to design my character before entering the game.
  • i also really like that you're not stopped every time you pick up something.
  • i really enjoy the battle style of yeeting three pokemon out when you first enter the team star bases. really fun.

okay, so. the cons.
  • performance. i've seen some people on twitter try to defend this, claiming they personally haven't encountered any issues, but i think most of us can safely say that this game is a mess. like, it feels horribly unfinished. i would be mortified to release something in this state. it's buggy, there are frame-rate issues, and it's laggy as all hell. obviously i can only speak for myself, but wild battles take multiple seconds to initiate, as do battles in general. the boxes are absurdly slow to load in even with only >150 pokemon spread out across them. it's super jarring, frustrating, and overall just ruins the experience.
  • map. now, like i said, i do enjoy the open world design, but i think legends of arceus pulled it off much better. obviously opinions on this will depend on the person, but for me, it's just too big, and because you can generally go anywhere all at once, it's super overwhelming, especially as someone who has a compulsion to explore first. the actual map feels completely useless. i don't think it reflects the terrain anywhere near enough to guide you properly; paths are missing from it in the majority of places. i'm constantly getting lost and then stressing that i've missed areas. i think the fact that you can ride incredibly far and still encounter 95% of the same pokemon speaks enough to the map being unnecessarily large. even with your ride pokemon boosted, travelling still feels like it takes an eternity. most of it also just feels empty. i would've happily taken loading zones if it would've improved the performance of this game, because i suspect the entire map being out at once partly contributes to that problem.
  • customization. worst in the series for me, and i thought it couldn't get worse than arceus lmao. i know i sound petty being mad about the lack of a redheaded option, but imagine if they didn't have brown hair? people would obviously be annoyed. the fact that you can have blue, green etc. hair but not natural red is absurd. anyway, beyond that, the hairstyles just weren't varied enough for me. only one long option? most of them can't even be used with the hats, which is frustrating when clothing choices are already so limited. the fact that you can't even switch to a skirt with the uniforms feels weirdly restrictive. i definitely don't feel individual or like myself. for some reason, it really feels like women/femininity drew an incredibly short straw with this game.
  • charm. i've been over my gripes about the picnic vs. the daycare. i would've liked the shops to have interiors rather than just menus. yeah, it's more stream-lined, but it also doesn't feel as personable, and the world feels a little emptier to me. i feel similarly about pokemon centers vs. gas stations. i just don't think it works, personally. even a mix of the two would've felt better, with the gas stations in the wild and a real pokemon center in each town, idk.
  • story. battle-wise, which they all are, it really suffers from the lack of level-scaling. was not enjoyable just completely breezing through the first team star boss because i'd explored and accidentally over-leveled. i'm pretty sure i'm going to stomp the second one, too. obviously you could solve this problem yourself by switching out to a lower level team, but. i want to play with the pokemon i like lol? being able to switch between the three is fun, but not when there is clearly an order already in place with certain gyms being at x level and ride upgrades locked behind titan defeats.
  • voice-acting. this game really needed it. personally, i would've preferred they focused on that before open-world. when i have battles, there's always a really awkward pause because i read the dialogue much faster than it lets me continue, and i feel like this would've been very easily solved with having the lines voiced. the lack of it also makes playing with the sound on kind of boring imo. shell out for some voice acting, game freak, god.
  • minor notes. surprise trading feels slower. instead of immediately going to the trade animation, it takes you to the menu, and then you have to select it, and if you miss the three second notification, you have to enter the menu yourself. yeah, it's only a few extra presses, whatever, but it was already streamlined so why. do this. team star boss introductions feel like they were designed by a kid asdfghj, that is the most underwhelming text i've ever seen. i've heard there's no battle tower? lame. the academy classes are a real slog to go through if you accidentally let them pile up like i did. no shiny sound... dumbest decision ever.

I'm not a competitive player so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I feel like the game got difficult again compared to the last very kid-friendly entries. You can very easily farm exp, but the opponents aren't stupid anymore. I finished all of the inital goals and the endgame is relatively tough. Which is a lot of fun! But I also feel like kids will struggle a lot, which I can relate to having played the first games as a kid.

To add to people’s thoughts on Tera types…

I recently fought one of the gyms. Going in I knew the gym typing but I didn’t look up what Pokémon I’d have to fight. I had a game plan for what to use that had a good type advantage and was also at a fair level. The final mon’s ability combined with its Tera type basically threw a wrench in my plan as it completely negated my type advantage. I still won the battle in the end but I had to get creative and use mons I wasn’t planning on for that gym.

I really like how Tera types make you change your plans on the fly it’s really fun and makes gyms much more interesting.

Almost 10hrs in:
  • 72 unique Pokémon
  • 2/8 Victory Road
  • 0/5 Starfall Street
  • 1/5 Path of Legends
  • Plus I received a Fuecoco through surprise trade today!
I am loving this game. A few issues aside, this is what I think the perfect monster catching RPG should look be like. I am obsessed with how they've executed the open world. I like how there are multiple storylines you can follow, giving a feeling of genuine control over how your journey unfolds. I had thought Nexomon had successfully stolen my heart, but this game has me excited about the Pokémon franchise again. However, I do still feel that Nexomon's level-scaling, smarter NPCs, and stamina system are vastly superior. I'm also now really curious about Pokémon Legends: Arceus, given I've seen people say here and elsewhere that they feel it is better than this game.

Also, anything food-related in games excites me. So food pics below. 😂

FiLub8iaMAETCoS.jpeg

FiLub8ZaYAAoszG.jpeg

I really like how Tera types make you change your plans on the fly it’s really fun and makes gyms much more interesting.
I agree. However, I'm still frustrated that they Terastalize on the first turn every time.

So I beat all 3 "Paths" and finished the Area Zero post game quest. Not only that I also rematched the gyms and won the Academy Ace tournament. I changed my eye colour to my more natural colour. I really wish they gave us more clothing options...starting to get sick of the uniform...
316131729_10229102015756881_3294804396490377081_n.jpg

Even though my mons are above level 80, I am still struggling with 5 star dens by myself. There are 6 and 7 star dens that are "tougher". I can only imagine they are designed that way to force you to go co-op with other players. Something which I whole-heartedly disagree with.

With my rant aside. I really like the paradox mons in Violet and I'm so glad I chose it instead. Look at Iron Treads...its so cute like a tire.
316671743_10229101974915860_655732767902374639_n.jpg

I also like its face. Like Miraidon the eyes are LED. It has an Adamant nature. Because they aren't legendary level mons like UB, they don't come with 3 guaranteed perfect IVs. Sad really.
316693597_10229101989316220_386759198145485576_n.jpg

I’ve completed 1 gym, 1 titan, and 1 Starfall boss on Violet, and 1 gym on Scarlet. Even though they’re “the same game” I‘m playing them simultaneously so that I actually play both, and can take different approaches at the same time. I also want all of each version’s exclusives. I have to check out that shiny counter thing, but seeing as though in all of my Pokemon playing years, I’ve NEVER encountered a shiny, I assume that is still the case. :cautious:

I deleted and restarted my main Violet game because I messed up with training my Pokémon pretty badly that I couldn’t progress any further because all of my Pokémon couldn’t handle the Fighting Team Star Base, the E4 after Rika, and Arven at the Lighthouse. I’d be only one hit away from winning and then something kept going horribly wrong and I’d lose and couldn’t recover at all. I didn’t use the promo card I ad gotten from preordering the games from the Nintendo eShop for this reason.

So far I'm at 5/8 Victory Road, 5/5 Titans and 3/5 Starfall Street! I have loved the three defined aspects to focus on.

For Victory Road, I have done Artazon (Grass) -> Cortondo (Bug) -> Levincia (Electric) -> Cascarrafa (Water) -> Alfornada (Psychic). I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm not going in with any info other than what's on the map, and it's been good!

I really loved the titans, I ordered them Klawf -> Bombirdier -> Orthworm -> Donphan -> Tatsugiri. Arven is great, and I love the story aspect.

For Starfall, I've done Mela -> Giacomo -> Atticus.

So far, 168 unique Pokémon caught, over 210 battled and 0 shiny Pokémon encounters! 😱😅

My No. 1 slot Pokémon this game is Amphoros (also known as Fluffy, who is of course fluff-less)! 💛 She is so solid. And also funny. Anyone else try to take a picture with their Pokémon only to have them run around in circles?!

Just beat the Champ, really enjoyed the Elite 4. Great stories allaround. Nemona's the best.

One more mission to roll credits I assume. Won't be doing the Pokédex, I'm not even halfway there.

Do we know why they went in this direction for the art style/character designs?

Any guess on how big the patch is going to be for all these glitches?

I'd be surprised if they even bother fixing it at all. People still bought it, they made their money, they're good.

Seriously though, aside from the ugly 90s computer graphics and glitches, it's weird how they're sticking with cartoon style for the trainers but realistic landscapes. It's awkward, as if the Pokemon and human characters don't belong in that world.

Update on my main file team. This is what it looks like after doing some raids and getting some neat encounters. This team is STACKED to be honest. I can't help but wonder how strong it would be if they were IV bred and EV trained. 🤔

JTtK8ky.jpg

Started my copy of Pokemon Violet not too long ago. I'm going to be using both Sprigatito, Fuecoco, and Quaxly in that game. Also tentatively planning on using Fidough, Gible, and Tynamo (might switch Gible to something else though).

I think that happened to me. I got an error message and had to restart my game. I had to face a gym leader again because I had off autosave. Not sure if it’s the same thing, but it did happen to me. I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I’m glad I didn’t lose much data.

I’m taking my time with this one since I’ve blazed through every Pokémon game since 2013 (except for Legends Arceus). At the moment I just beat Iono! The performance and glitches are horrific, but the game itself is solid. If GameFreak doesn’t patch the game at least the fans will.

I’m taking my time with this one since I’ve blazed through every Pokémon game since 2013 (except for Legends Arceus). At the moment I just beat Iono! The performance and glitches are horrific, but the game itself is solid. If GameFreak doesn’t patch the game at least the fans will.
Game freak did take a hard stance against 3rd party game alteration before the launch of these current games.

Man, the final mission really hits different with Toby Fox' score.

This is hands down the best 3D Pokémon game, by a long shot. I'd have to replay Black/White to see how it compares overall, it's a shame that a game this good has oh so many performance issues.

Man, the story is so wild. it's nice to know that time travel is so canon now, obviously, but it's nice to see them continue what Legends build up. A main game -> Legends -> main game continuation would be cool, but clearly the games need more time to be worked on properly to its full potential.

But anyway. The main group of characters is fantastic and the last area shines so much.
I think nobody would have guessed that the Professor is dead and replaced by an AI, is this the first main game that doesn't technically have a Professor? But it's cool that there's a Future Professor and an Ancient Professor. Also the emotional beats of the story are great. Even Nemona who has none is still a nice character. I love this group of characters very much. This game is a lot like Gen 5.

Also the Ed Sheeran song for the end credits is such a dumb idea. Feels like I'm listening to the radio.

Do we know why they went in this direction for the art style/character designs?

Any guess on how big the patch is going to be for all these glitches?

I would count on, multiple small patches and not all performance issues and glitches will be addressed when they are "done".

Man, the final mission really hits different with Toby Fox' score.

This is hands down the best 3D Pokémon game, by a long shot. I'd have to replay Black/White to see how it compares overall, it's a shame that a game this good has oh so many performance issues.

Man, the story is so wild. it's nice to know that time travel is so canon now, obviously, but it's nice to see them continue what Legends build up. A main game -> Legends -> main game continuation would be cool, but clearly the games need more time to be worked on properly to its full potential.

But anyway. The main group of characters is fantastic and the last area shines so much.
I think nobody would have guessed that the Professor is dead and replaced by an AI, is this the first main game that doesn't technically have a Professor? But it's cool that there's a Future Professor and an Ancient Professor. Also the emotional beats of the story are great. Even Nemona who has none is still a nice character. I love this group of characters very much. This game is a lot like Gen 5.

Also the Ed Sheeran song for the end credits is such a dumb idea. Feels like I'm listening to the radio.
I have never even listened to an Ed Sheeran song before. I know who he is. It’s just that I don’t listen to most modern music since 95% of it sounds exactly the same and I think auto tuned songs are just awful and I refuse to listen to them with only a few songs with it being the exception and are from no later than 2009.

Back