• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Anyone else need to evolve Finizen? I would like to form a Union Circle with fellow trainers so we can each help each other out to get Palafin. And maybe do a few Raids together.

Not sure about climbing, but I unlocked swimming by beating the Open Sky Titan. Yes, it makes things a bit easier to get around, but I had to work on leveling up to beat it, so I don't see the non-linear part being a problem. Going from one titan to the next, I would have had my tail handed to me. Same with gyms. Haven't started on the star bosses yet, because I know I don't have anything ready for them.
non-linear is a problem because if you do all the titans and nothing else, you'll be egregiously over-leveled for the first gyms and team star bosses, which is why i think level-scaling should've been a no-brainer for a non-linear storyline. i'm over-leveled as it is, and all i've done is explore and go back and forth between the three storylines to try and keep bosses/leaders/titans on par with my starter's level, but i leveled up so much from exploring alone that the first team star boss is going to get whacked rip.

i literally don't understand how this game can exist on the same platform as xenoblade and botw, it looks like a game on the 3ds or something.
Absolutely. I'm under the impression that they tackled the development for this game as if it were solely a handheld title. I prefer to play docked usually, but I think this is one of those games I'm going to primarily play handheld.

I've successfully avoided majority of spoilers and am trying not to search the new Pokemon unless I encounter them in the wild (though I do search for their evos once I get them so I know if they're going on my team).
I'm trying to stick with this approach as well. I've only looked at evolutions for the starters so far. I've no idea how my team is going to look at this rate and that's okay.

I managed to play a few hours this morning. I didn't accomplish anything particularly exciting - but I did catch a shiny Azurill!

ShinyAzurill.jpeg

The lack of level-scaling is already getting to me and I'm barely out of the starting gates. In Nexomon the wild 'mons and trainers level with you and I much prefer that.

Picked up a copy of Pokémon Scarlet yesterday and been enjoying it so far, despite its graphical hiccups from time to time. I'm still at the beginning of the game and haven't completed any quests yet. Just exploring as much as possible. Here are some pics of my first steps into the Paldea region.

At one point I paused the game and when I came back....well, I'm greeted by this sight. Looks like dynamaxed Pokémon made it into the game!

2022112023082400-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

Newest member of my team! Why wasn't this little guy the water starter in Paldea instead? Or even in Galar? Look at that wide mouth and his one tiny tooth! He's adorable!! 🥰

2022112020005600-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

My team so far. They baby right now, though heehee~ I can't get over how derpy they both are with their mouths open like that, it's freaking adorable how they show off their teethies 🥰 so I'm kinda going for an all-reptile squad LMAO if I can find a Treecko or Helioptile or Bellibolt duuuuuuude 💞💞💞

2022112020055100-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

I was reading through the comments of an article about Scarlet and Violet, and one of them caught my interest. The person said that although the performance issues were unacceptable, that he was having the time of his life and that if it weren't for the bugs and glitches that it could easily be the best Pokemon game in years. I've heard other people share similar sentiments, but so far I've never heard anybody explain why. I'm curious if anybody else here who's playing feels the same way, and if so, could you explain what it is that makes you feel that way? Certain aspects of the game seem like they could be fun, but just from an outside perspective, I can't really say that I would expect the game to make me feel like it would be a contender for the best Pokemon game in years. Due to Dexit, I feel like I probably won't be able to truly say that about any modern game in the franchise, but I know others aren't bothered by that as much as I am.

I was reading through the comments of an article about Scarlet and Violet, and one of them caught my interest. The person said that although the performance issues were unacceptable, that he was having the time of his life and that if it weren't for the bugs and glitches that it could easily be the best Pokemon game in years. I've heard other people share similar sentiments, but so far I've never heard anybody explain why. I'm curious if anybody else here who's playing feels the same way, and if so, could you explain what it is that makes you feel that way? Certain aspects of the game seem like they could be fun, but just from an outside perspective, I can't really say that I would expect the game to make me feel like it would be a contender for the best Pokemon game in years. Due to Dexit, I feel like I probably won't be able to truly say that about any modern game in the franchise, but I know others aren't bothered by that as much as I am.
The lack of a battle tower is another reason why I'm really considering seeing if I can return what I bought. I'm expecting the patch for some of these glitches to be huge.

The lack of a battle tower is another reason why I'm really considering seeing if I can return what I bought.

I don't blame you. Hearing that they removed the Battle Tower kinda gutted my interest in the game, beyond even the glitches and performance issues. I'm not at all interested in VGC, so making teams for the Battle Tower has always been the part of the post-game that I enjoyed the most and provided me with reasons to play beyond completing the main story. I was devastated when they removed multi-battles from the Battle Tower in SwSh, and now there's just... nothing. I've never enjoyed the Raid Battles enough to justify it as compelling end-game content on its own, at least in SwSh.

I'm going to list in points why I've really enjoyed this game and how it's a major improvement from Sword/Shield.

- The region is vast and there's lots of places to explore. Case in point I've already beat the game and explored most areas, and I'm STILL finding areas I haven't fully explored yet. I really love the open world aspect to this game.

- While not every Pokemon is in the game (and personally I don't care about Dexit, like I'm not in favor of what they did, but I'm not hellbent opposed to it like a lot of people are. Having every Pokemon in the game would make things kind of... complex... imo), there is a huge selection of Pokemon right from the get-go this time, including new ones, and I feel like there's no shortage of what you can do with teams in the game. This is the first Pokemon game in awhile I can say for sure that I can't just stick with one team, simply because I keep finding new mons to add or different ones, or even ones with unique Tera types.

- Which brings me to my third point. TERA TYPES. I am so, so, so thankful this is the gimmick for these games and not something stupid like Dynamax was in Sword/Shield. The existence of Tera Types presents a seemingly limitless number of strategies, especially for competitive play. Case in point, I caught a Garchomp that is the Water Tera Type. If I send that out against a Fairy type Pokemon and they think they have the advantage, they're just plain wrong, because it's not going to be SE. As long as Garchomp outspeeds them and has a better attack/special attack stat, they can actually beat the Fairy type, and that, imo, is ridiculous. Even being able to Terastallize from Fire/Ghost on my Skeledirge to just Fire removed the Dark and Ghost type weaknesses, which helped me in many battles. It's safe to say that Tera Types will be huge in strategy and competitive play in these games.

- I love how the paths are separated, and Team Star is actually kind of fun to battle. They're not trying to take over the world or anything like some past teams, but they're not really dumb either like Team Skull or Team Yell. The storyline behind them was well done and I enjoyed it.

- The ending to the game (won't go too much into spoilers) actually FEELS like an ending, unlike Sword and Shield, because there are a lot of things at stake, and it includes some plot twists as well.

- Lastly, the difficulty. Yes, while level-scaling definitely should have been a thing, even when I went to the places where I was supposed to go based on level, some battles were still pretty difficult (like the Psychic type gym leader), and I found that I blacked out several times throughout the game, which I didn't at all in Sword/Shield.

- Adding another one that I just thought of, but your rival for the game not being a complete pushover like Hau and Hop is a plus as well.

I could list more, but those are my main seven. I really, really, really loved playing through this game and that's evident by how I sped through it and ate it up. I can't say the same about Pokemon Sword/Shield or about Pokemon Sun/Moon/Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. Those games took me longer to beat simply because I didn't enjoy them as much.

(These are all just reasons why I love the game after having played it. YMMV)

Last edited:
I've heard other people share similar sentiments, but so far I've never heard anybody explain why. I'm curious if anybody else here who's playing feels the same way, and if so, could you explain what it is that makes you feel that way? Certain aspects of the game seem like they could be fun, but just from an outside perspective, I can't really say that I would expect the game to make me feel like it would be a contender for the best Pokemon game in years
Honestly, your opinion of the game is going to differ greatly depending on what you value in Pokemon. Battle-wise and PVE, SV is terribly easy compared to previous generations. Graphics-wise, obviously not the best either. But experience wise, it's definitely up there. You can see wild Pokemon roam around, you can walk and interact with your Pokemon, and you're essentially crafting your own adventure anywhere you want instead of being roadblocked by an old man who hasn't had his coffee. I've grown old and weary of Pokemon battles (which I know is its core mechanic), but I got the game because of the open-world aspect. I agree it's still very flawed because many areas feels empty, but the nostalgia somehow keeps me playing. If you told 9-year-old me that I could one day play a game where Pokemon were 3D and were roaming around, I'd freak the hell out, too. Essentially, the Pokemon feel more alive to me now. And I'm having fun exploring and seeing new Pokemon.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I still agree there are so, so many flaws and that this game can be better. But I also can't deny that I'm still having fun. :]

Honestly, your opinion of the game is going to differ greatly depending on what you value in Pokemon. Battle-wise and PVE, SV is terribly easy compared to previous generations. Graphics-wise, obviously not the best either. But experience wise, it's definitely up there. You can see wild Pokemon roam around, you can walk and interact with your Pokemon, and you're essentially crafting your own adventure anywhere you want instead of being roadblocked by an old man who hasn't had his coffee. I've grown old and weary of Pokemon battles (which I know is its core mechanic), but I got the game because of the open-world aspect. I agree it's still very flawed because many areas feels empty, but the nostalgia somehow keeps me playing. If you told 9-year-old me that I could one day play a game where Pokemon were 3D and were roaming around, I'd freak the hell out, too. Essentially, the Pokemon feel more alive to me now. And I'm having fun exploring and seeing new Pokemon.

Of course, this is just my opinion, I still agree there are so, so many flaws and that this game can be better. But I also can't deny that I'm still having fun. :]

You make a good point, and I guess it's why I just never understood the appeal for an open world Pokemon game in the first place. I can't say that I've ever wished for the opportunity to wander around and see roaming Pokemon; I feel that if I wanted to experience a sight-seeing tour with Pokemon frolicking in the wild, I would rather just play Pokemon Snap. The thing that matters most to me in a mainline Pokemon game is getting to interact and play with my chosen team of Pokemon partners. Without having a post-game Battle Tower, the features I was looking forward to the most were Let's Go, picnics, and getting to take pictures with my favorite Pokemon.

I'm really enjoying the game. Is awesome yo can do whatever you want. Right now i'm building up my team.

Just need a Noibat and Larvitar in a Ultra Ball.

I just figured out that your pass shows you how many "shinies you battled".

CEE2BYq.jpg

How did I battle 4??? More importantly how did I not see 2 of them. I don't remember ever seeing those shiny sparkles anywhere except for the two shinies I did catch in the wild.

Honestly, they have released an unfinished game. And I think that this is a practice that shouldn't be accepted, especially coming from a large company with a quality seal such as Nintendo, which isn't exactly an indie company.

What can be fixed with patches? Well yes, and surely they'll do, and surely this week they will launch a patch to fix part of the bugs. But still, this is one of the reasons why I never buy any newly released game.

I just figured out that your pass shows you how many "shinies you battled".

CEE2BYq.jpg

How did I battle 4??? More importantly how did I not see 2 of them. I don't remember ever seeing those shiny sparkles anywhere except for the two shinies I did catch in the wild.
Everyone is encountering shinys and i am working my pokedex and i have encountered like 0 shinys hahaha, you all are so lucky🙈!
Post automatically merged:

I am striving to complete my pokedex ✌🏼 And i was wondering if there are specific pokemons that i wont be able to register on my pokedex unless i trade with someone with the other game.

Thaaanks in advance 🙂!

Last edited:
Everyone is encountering shinys and i am working my pokedex and i have encountered like 0 shinys hahaha, you all are so lucky🙈!
Post automatically merged:

I am striving to complete my pokedex ✌🏼 And i was wondering if there are specific pokemons that i wont be able to register on my pokedex unless i trade with someone with the other game.

Thaaanks in advance 🙂!
There are always exclusive pokemon of each version: Scarlet has some and Violet others. That's why they release two versions.

Yeah, I've been just constantly traveling across the map to do tera raid battle, but I have no idea how I missed two shinies. That counter is so mean. 😅

Compared to Sw/Sh, I think it's an improvement. I much prefer racing along in an open world, seeing Pokemon in the open. In fact, that's the main draw for me. Storywise, it feels much better too, but I'd argue Sw/Sh had one of the most boring stories and all I really remember is a rival I beat easily, and a champion who never knew where he was going if it wasn't for Charizard. In ScarVi, Arven's story in particular was great, and I genuinely felt something. Still saw the big plot twist with Team Star's boss almost immediately, though.

I do have general gripes about the game (why are the sandwich graphics so much higher than some of the actual textures?!) and some of them do revolve around the Pokemon choices (Dexit doesn't bother me that much, but you know what does? Going several games without finding certain Pokemon, but always seeing others at every turn, even if they don't make sense in the game), but yeah, without those bugs/glitchs/lag/general performance issues, it's better imho.

That being said... I still think Legends Arceus is better. It's not as big, sure, but as someone who prefers to collect rather than battle, I love the catching mechanics in the game, the fewer yet more difficult battles, I like having the strong, regular or weak options for battle moves, and, of course, the shiny noise that gets me excited as I try to figure out where it came from. Thus far, I've found the music to be more to my taste in Arceus, too (if only I could disable that 'Pokemon has sighted you' song).

I'm not hugely driven by battles and 'gotta win everything' that past games have prioritized. I enjoy battles, but it isn't my main interest. The open world aspect means I can do what I want, when I want. That is very cool and makes things a lot more realistic, IMO. Being able to interact with and collect the pokemon I want and still be able to put together teams that will do well in competition makes for something fun. Despite the flaws, it still is a net positive, to me.

The main thing that bothers me is that across the internet. so many people are intent on focusing on the flaws, bugs, and problems of the game, which makes saying I like the game, simply because I like the game difficult. (this is not directed at anyone here, but rather things I have seen on a number of sites) I've been accused of being a Pollyanna, an ostrich, and all sorts of things in between.

I put aside my copy of pokemon shield to play this. I was at the point where you battle Orleana so I had a bit left before I complete Shield but I was too hyped not to jump into the new game right away. They had some fun ideas with this entery. I like the amount of exploration you can do and how you have access to lots of pokemon from the get go. It is making me want to try completing the for the first time, and I am also finding myself trying to build differint pokemon teams instead of one which I did not do before.

I wish your opponents could do some level of upscaling to match your level though. I don't like being overleveled. It has not happened that much yet, but still. I also wish they had some version of battle chateau, or those battle restaurants like in xy. I feel like every pokemon game needs a place for battling like that.

Back