• Come and see the official gallery showcasing all of your creative entries from The Bell Tree Fair 2024. In addition, the winners for the final raffles have been drawn! Click here for the event's final closing announcement.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Oof, the new bug is super concerning. I haven't bought the dlc or connected to go and I have been noticing the game felt buggier since the update; game froze on me at one point and had this very strange bug where the 2d art of a Foretress was just buzzing around my screen, and some black flashing pixels at one point... I did have one crash pre update but otherwise nothing on this level. I think it's a sign to take a break until the bug is addressed and fixed, I don't want to risk losing my save file.. u_u

That aside, I did finish the story last week and, I wish the area zero quest was longer, it was so different for a Pokemon game, and so fun, like the rest of the game took me two months to get through, but I was so engaged in this storyline I finished in a day. 10/10 I hope Pokemon starts doing more stuff like this over gym quest + evil team. I am nearly finished the Pokedex too, have about 350 and half of those is the violet exclusives, waiting for home compatibility (and now the bug fix) to use my 7 day online trial to trade for them. 🥰 Completing the dex has always been my favourite thing to do, and after skipping that in gen 8 (because of NSO and no motivation with dexit) it felt good to work towards it again.

And since it seems to be the main discussion here atm, whole heartedly agree with you all that the legendary lineup is beyond bloated, Gen 1 and 2 did it best with only 4-5 per game + 1 mythical. I don't get why they felt the need to start spamming more and more. I'm also not super fond of this new trend of making new pokemon exclusive to the third game/DLC. I am aware that their is some ice horse pokemon but I couldn't tell you what it looked like or what it's called. Same with the boxing bear and whatever ultra beats got added in Ultra.

Got another shiny through surprise trade with the name 'Sparkles'...originally, I thought the Shiny Quaxly named Sparkles could have been a legit shiny...but, now that I got a shiny Sprigatito with the same name, I'm guessing not.

Got another shiny through surprise trade with the name 'Sparkles'...originally, I thought the Shiny Quaxly named Sparkles could have been a legit shiny...but, now that I got a shiny Sprigatito with the same name, I'm guessing not.
That shiny Greninja I mentioned before is also named "Sparkles" I'm beginning to sense a pattern here

I'm also not super fond of this new trend of making new pokemon exclusive to the third game/DLC.

I liked when the third version expanded on another Legendary Pokemon's lore, like Emerald (if you can call it lore), Platinum, and B2/W2 (still wish it had been Gray Version). I was expecting Z Version to give us lots of Zygarde stuff, but they scrapped it. Still my number one gripe with Pokemon after Dexit. I don't hate there being Pokemon exclusive to DLC only because there is the chance that the Pokemon were genuinely not created until later. What I hate about DLC is that the base games feel like they are incomplete, so it's gross paying full price for an incomplete game and then more for what seems like it should've been the rest of it. This was really bad in 8th gen where the base game and DLC together felt more like a complete game that should've just been the base $60. Unlike other games where there's loads of content in the base game, and then so much more offered with the DLC.

I'm sensing a lack of creativity went into Okidogi's design because he, in all seriousness, is just discount Incineroar.
GF: We need a Momotaro trio stat! A dog, a monkey, a pheasant. GO!
Employee: Ok, what about these first draft designs—
GF: —Great! Put them in now!
Employee: But they're first drafts...
GF: Don't care 🤑

Seriously though...I feel like thats whats been happening for the last 2 gens.

I liked when the third version expanded on another Legendary Pokemon's lore, like Emerald (if you can call it lore), Platinum, and B2/W2 (still wish it had been Gray Version). I was expecting Z Version to give us lots of Zygarde stuff, but they scrapped it. Still my number one gripe with Pokemon after Dexit. I don't hate there being Pokemon exclusive to DLC only because there is the chance that the Pokemon were genuinely not created until later. What I hate about DLC is that the base games feel like they are incomplete, so it's gross paying full price for an incomplete game and then more for what seems like it should've been the rest of it. This was really bad in 8th gen where the base game and DLC together felt more like a complete game that should've just been the base $60. Unlike other games where there's loads of content in the base game, and then so much more offered with the DLC.

No Z version is easily one of the most baffling decisions, especially when they shoehorned the whole Zygarde forms into SuMo so there was obviously stuff planned for it.

Haha, I think we have opposite opinions in regards to DLC. I wholly believe the new Pokemon are held back to make to sell the DLC-- even if some of them were designed after launch, they could easily be half over for the next gen, though some are very obviously held back like the diamond turtle thing which got mentioned in the base story. It would be like if you couldn't catch Rayquaza, Giratina, or Kyurem in the first games because it was held back as a third title exclusive.

For full disclosure I didn't play or even look at gen 8's DLC, so I don't know how much was added and can't really weigh in an opinion. In what way do you think that gen 8 DLC completed the SwSh games vs like, Emerald adding in the whole Battle Frontier and Plat adding that new Island + it's own battle frontier?

To me, DLC is literally just a replacement to the third game. Instead of selling a cosmetically altered game with minor story changes for the same MSRP that you need to replay from scratch, you can just buy the add on and continue with the Pokemon you've already built up and explored the region with. I already always felt the og games were incomplete versions compared to the third game (minus yellow which was just an anime advertisement and BW2 which were actual sequels). 😅 My main complaint about it is I think the DLC is kinda overpriced personally. Again, this is the opinion of someone who hasn't looked up what the DLC brought forth so maybe I'm defending a perspective that literally has no weight. 😅😅😅

No Z version is easily one of the most baffling decisions, especially when they shoehorned the whole Zygarde forms into SuMo so there was obviously stuff planned for it.
It's even more egregious if you watch the anime and see how fantastic the whole Z arc was. At least, in my opinion. The anime only rubbed salt into the wound for me and made me crave a fleshed out Kalos game in the form of Z Version. I still want it so, so, so bad.

Haha, I think we have opposite opinions in regards to DLC. I wholly believe the new Pokemon are held back to make to sell the DLC-- even if some of them were designed after launch, they could easily be half over for the next gen, though some are very obviously held back like the diamond turtle thing which got mentioned in the base story. It would be like if you couldn't catch Rayquaza, Giratina, or Kyurem in the first games because it was held back as a third title exclusive.
I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Similar to how Ultra Sun and Moon felt a lot like they probably held back the Necrozma stuff in order to make a whole separate game to sell.

For full disclosure I didn't play or even look at gen 8's DLC, so I don't know how much was added and can't really weigh in an opinion. In what way do you think that gen 8 DLC completed the SwSh games vs like, Emerald adding in the whole Battle Frontier and Plat adding that new Island + it's own battle frontier?
I actually need to also fully disclose that I didn't touch the DLC. I barely made it through a borrowed version of Shield for the sake of saying I played it (and it's as bad as I expected). I only made my statement based on what I gathered from all the feedback I read about in r/Pokemon. So I actually could be totally wrong with that assessment.

To me, DLC is literally just a replacement to the third game. Instead of selling a cosmetically altered game with minor story changes for the same MSRP that you need to replay from scratch, you can just buy the add on and continue with the Pokemon you've already built up and explored the region with. I already always felt the og games were incomplete versions compared to the third game (minus yellow which was just an anime advertisement and BW2 which were actual sequels). 😅 My main complaint about it is I think the DLC is kinda overpriced personally. Again, this is the opinion of someone who hasn't looked up what the DLC brought forth so maybe I'm defending a perspective that literally has no weight. 😅😅😅
A large part of my dislike of DLC and preference for a third game is just familiarity and my enjoyment of patterns. I really, really, really hate that we shifted from a third version to sequels and now DLC. Black and White 2 just sounds gross to me. I wanted Gray with Kyurem on it. I wanted Z with Zygarde. I wanted Stars with Ultra Necrozma instead of the Ultras. I can't stand the way Victini was the first Pokemon in the Dex and not the last like Mew. It upsets me that there aren't anymore Mew clones. I like mixing things up, but I also like the consistency of certain things like getting Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum.

There are pros and cons to both. Like you said, you can just continue with the Pokemon you've built up in the current game but in new content. So I definitely like that. I think the problem is that I do know that Sword and Shield were incomplete games that were severely lacking, so it feels like a spit in the face to make you pay for DLC that seriously should've just been in the game. It all comes back down to the fact that the games need significantly more time cooking in the oven, but you probably already know that whole rant by now, haha.

A new patch has been announced for April. It will apparently fix the save corruption bug and the bug that makes Eggs appear instead of the mon in the Walking Wake/Iron Leaves raids. This also means that we may not have HOME compatibility until maybe May.

A large part of my dislike of DLC and preference for a third game is just familiarity and my enjoyment of patterns.

Quoting out of orde to address this first. But okay, say no more! Totally understand that and respect that opinion. I personally loved that BW2 was a genuine sequel, but I can totally understand wanting to just have an expanded grey version instead. And really, they could have gotten away with doing both with how much Game Freak loves repackaging the same game. :ROFLMAO: The lack of a third game in Kalos, and then the scummy Ultra games though, yup, totally agree with you, making two versions instead of one with ultra was probably my least favourite thing that happened (or, second to dexit).I am sad about the Mew clones too, the new mythicals are all meh with how gimmicky they all are.

This is probably more effort than Gamefreak would be willing to put in, but maybe it would be the best of both is to make the DLC, but then also a third game which does the usual rewrites geared towards the third legendary with DLC included. That way they keep the tradition but you aren't forced out to restart the game all over again. Happy medium.

It's even more egregious if you watch the anime and see how fantastic the whole Z arc was. At least, in my opinion. The anime only rubbed salt into the wound for me and made me crave a fleshed out Kalos game in the form of Z Version. I still want it so, so, so bad.

I haven't followed the anime in forever (stopped mid Johto then saw some eps here and there. I've heard the Kalos arc was a top notch region though so I really need to give it a try sometime. Maybe they will deliver with the eventual Gen 6 remakes, like how ORAS got a whole Deoxys subplot.
I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Similar to how Ultra Sun and Moon felt a lot like they probably held back the Necrozma stuff in order to make a whole separate game to sell.

I actually need to also fully disclose that I didn't touch the DLC. I barely made it through a borrowed version of Shield for the sake of saying I played it (and it's as bad as I expected). I only made my statement based on what I gathered from all the feedback I read about in r/Pokemon. So I actually could be totally wrong with that assessment.

Yup, exactly! Though, I also never got far enough into Ultra Moon to know anything about what they did with it either, Playing Sun the first time was fun, but I couldn't sit through the non stop cutscenes a second time for a minorly rewritten story lmao.

And ahhh! Gotcha, and totally respect that. I had fully intended to skip SWSH, ironically saying I may pick up the third game (before DLC announcement lol) if they include Oshawott or something, but I got it as a Christmas gift so. :') You really didn't miss much by not playing it all the way through imo. I wouldn't say it was absolutely terrible, there were a handful of new Pokemon I enjoyed getting to play with but the story was far from memorable and I don't think I touched it at all after the credit roll. I would be willing to trust r/pokemon on this with you too. xD

I personally loved that BW2 was a genuine sequel, but I can totally understand wanting to just have an expanded grey version instead.
It's honestly more just calling it Gray and having it be a third version that I really want. They could've still made the game a sequel story instead of rehashing the same game with a bit of extra floof.

The lack of a third game in Kalos, and then the scummy Ultra games though, yup, totally agree with you, making two versions instead of one with ultra was probably my least favourite thing that happened (or, second to dexit).I am sad about the Mew clones too, the new mythicals are all meh with how gimmicky they all are.
Yeah, it sounds like we're in agreement on all that. Zygarde and Kalos in general got done really dirty. It's one of my favorite regions, yet I have to say the games suck because of how much they're lacking.

This is probably more effort than Gamefreak would be willing to put in, but maybe it would be the best of both is to make the DLC, but then also a third game which does the usual rewrites geared towards the third legendary with DLC included. That way they keep the tradition but you aren't forced out to restart the game all over again. Happy medium.
I honestly don't know what the best route is. I think we're just in the day and age of modern gaming where DLC is the norm. And to be fair, because I have a history of playing MMO's since I was a kid, I always said it would be cool to eventually be able to download "patches" and "expansions" on console games instead of having to wait for a whole new game. So, I'm putting my foot in my mouth a lot with what I say about the whole DLC stuff. 😅

I haven't followed the anime in forever (stopped mid Johto then saw some eps here and there. I've heard the Kalos arc was a top notch region though so I really need to give it a try sometime. Maybe they will deliver with the eventual Gen 6 remakes, like how ORAS got a whole Deoxys subplot.
I recently re-watched the entire XY/XYZ anime with my husband, and it really is so good. I originally watched it to show how cool Ash and Ash-Greninja were to my husband, but I ended up just about equally as invested in Serena's entire arc. It's just really well done. There's still typical Pokemon filler and some pretty lame episodes/plots, but overall, it's one of the only times the Pokemon anime feels like an ANIME. If that makes sense. The intros, animation, and overall vibe come off like a shonen anime, which some people tend to say in a negative way, but I love shonen so...

Yup, exactly! Though, I also never got far enough into Ultra Moon to know anything about what they did with it either, Playing Sun the first time was fun, but I couldn't sit through the non stop cutscenes a second time for a minorly rewritten story lmao.
I actually liked Ultra Sun/Moon just fine. But I'm slightly biased because when Sun and Moon came out, it was (still to this day) during one of the best times in my entire life. My life was just really good vibes constantly, so I tend to extend a lot of that to Sun and Moon and the Alola region. So when the Ultra versions came out, yeah, I was annoyed by not getting Stars, but I was stoked for more Alola.

And ahhh! Gotcha, and totally respect that. I had fully intended to skip SWSH, ironically saying I may pick up the third game (before DLC announcement lol) if they include Oshawott or something, but I got it as a Christmas gift so. :') You really didn't miss much by not playing it all the way through imo. I wouldn't say it was absolutely terrible, there were a handful of new Pokemon I enjoyed getting to play with but the story was far from memorable and I don't think I touched it at all after the credit roll. I would be willing to trust r/pokemon on this with you too. xD
I had full intention of skipping it too, but my husband (at the time, we were just starting to date) let me borrow his Shield Version, and I made myself play. I do have a few Pokemon that I really like (Dubwool and Appletun are a couple that come to mind), and I liked how I was able to dress my character. I had a really solid green outfit. But man, the game itself felt bad. It just felt really, really bad. I barely remember the story except for how the whole thing going up the elevator was insanely anticlimactic and lame. And just like you, I haven't touched it post-credits rolling.

This also means that we may not have HOME compatibility until maybe May.
Dang. I noticed there would be another maintenance with HOME soon and I was kinda hoping they'd decided to fast-track ScarVio compat in light of the glitch... Alas.

Honestly not touching the games again until the patch for the bug comes out. I'd rather miss out on some Tera raid events than potentially lose my save file, LMAO.

And I'm not in any rush to play again anyway, as I have a lot of other games in my backlog.

A new patch has been announced for April. It will apparently fix the save corruption bug and the bug that makes Eggs appear instead of the mon in the Walking Wake/Iron Leaves raids. This also means that we may not have HOME compatibility until maybe May.
That’s actually SO bad. I appreciate it might take a bit to fix, but surely fixing a bug that erases players save data should be pushed out in way less time. Having to wait over half a month for it sounds ridiculous. Like Midoriya said I probably just won’t play

Don't think I have the will to restrain myself from not playing...but the bug is always a concern. Also, I don't have the DLC yet, so I think I'm less at risk (?) - Think I heard there is a way to recover your data if it's lost, as well...not sure about the validity of that (I didn't even read the article). I just remember seeing that someone said it was possible.

Think I heard there is a way to recover your data if it's lost, as well...not sure about the validity of that (I didn't even read the article). I just remember seeing that someone said it was possible.
Yes, there is normally a way to recover save data normally with a combo of buttons to access a backup file... But it doesn't work with this glitch. People who have lost their data through it have confirmed that the recovery screen method doesn't work.

There's also apparently another type of save data glitch which occurs randomly, which you can apparently fix - you need to start a new game on another Switch user's account, and get to the point where you can save. There's more info on that one on Reddit, I think.

In other words, this game is one big buggy mess, almost or on par with Red/Blue/Green, which at least had the excuse of being on one of the earliest gaming handhelds, back when the world was still learning a lot about coding games. I'm also probably going to refrain from playing until they patch it, just in case.

In other words, this game is one big buggy mess, almost or on par with Red/Blue/Green, which at least had the excuse of being on one of the earliest gaming handhelds, back when the world was still learning a lot about coding games.

Were R/B/G even considered buggy?

All I can think of is the Missingno glitch, which required quite a bit of effort to intentionally trigger.

Were R/B/G even considered buggy?

All I can think of is the Missingno glitch, which required quite a bit of effort to intentionally trigger.
If playing normally, I don't think they weren't too bad and yeah, mostly relied on triggers to activate. The only ones I encountered through regular gameplay were the Focus Energy glitch and the man on the roof glitch.

But... Here's a selection of them. There are a lot more than what's posted, too:

Can I just say...I'm annoyed that we still don't have the Slowbro/Slowking shell as an actual standalone Pokemon yet. - Was just reminded of this by the dex entry in Violet, (same entry they've used in many of the other games)...where it says that the shell can be knocked off in battle and Slowbro will return to being a normal Slowpoke if that happens. - What this neglects to mention, is what happens to the new Shelder form after it gets knocked off. Surely it just stays the way it looked when it evolved on the Slowpoke's tail...which means it should have its own form.

This is maddening. Lol.

Y'all literally gave us weird divergent evolutions of things like Wiglet and Toadscool before you retconned Spiky Shelder. If it was ever going to be done, this would have been the game to do it in. But, no. Smh.

Back