PSA: The new series 5 amiibo cards pre-order have started!!!

that’s what happened to me this morning. So frustrating! I loved collecting and trading the cards several years ago, but that was before the cards ramped up in popularity and Nintendo chose to make it feel like a lottery. I’m getting soured on the concept of collecting these cards at all, if it’s going to be this intense. For the first time I may just buy some knockoffs on Etsy for the functionality alone.
Same. I love having the real cards but might as well skip the headache/heartache and wait for amiibo coins 🤷🏻‍♀️

Already sold out? I hope there was a limit to how many one person could buy to prevent racking the price up on eBay and making major profit, lmao. Just pretend it’s toilet paper or something and limit one or two per person.
FWIW, I believe Walmart had it limited to two per person in the beginning. I was an hour or two late to the party, but then the one time I saw the cards in stock, it was down to one per person, but that sold out within about ten to fifteen seconds....:(

...Ugh, this bites. I'd love to be able to trade my extra cards here on TBT, but none of us are going to be able to even consider trading if we're all going to be clutching to scraps like this...
(Sanrio flashbacks...what a virtual bloodbath 😬)

what i get for actually sleeping for once... just hope actual buyers got them and not annoying scalpers, i still have nightmares getting a ps5, i don't have the patience to go through that mess again. might just wait till people on etsy make knockoffs or something, especially since i already know who i want and it's not as painfully obnoxious as trying to get ahold of the real ones :/

that’s what happened to me this morning. So frustrating! I loved collecting and trading the cards several years ago, but that was before the cards ramped up in popularity and Nintendo chose to make it feel like a lottery. I’m getting soured on the concept of collecting these cards at all, if it’s going to be this intense. For the first time I may just buy some knockoffs on Etsy for the functionality alone.

It has absolutely soured the cards—and by extension the excitement—for me too. I don’t even want to collect them per se, I’m literally just hoping to get a Shino and Tiansheng card to scan into my game. Like you, I’m wondering if it’s worth it now.

I also think this scarcity undermines the shared joy of the game—it creates so much frustration and envy between players that just isn’t necessary at all.

What's crazy to me about all this is that people will (understandably) opt to buy fakes since they are functionally the exact same instead of dealing with the headache of getting amiibo cards. That could be money in Nintendo's pockets, but instead, they make the cards annoyingly scarce and hard to get. It literally makes no sense.

I loved collecting cards from the past series, but depending on how the next couple weeks go leading up to the release of series 5, I might just get mine off of Etsy as well. No point in forcing myself to have anxiety over this lol

As the OP say, If you are in Australia or know someone from australia, get the 25 pack version of animal crossing series 5. i think that one will have the complete series 5 and duplicates...I would also start looking around australian gamiing websites...

It is still being presold.

The ebay one where I get this is already sold out...

I'm hoping actual fans bought the cards and not
scalpers. In all truth? I don't like how they dont mass produce enough cards for the release knowing how cheap they are and how easy it is for scalpers to buy up. I see they have a limit but I think it says 2 packs per person? That alone still is a lot. Why would one person need two packs if one pack alone can be scanned to several switches in the home? Unless I am mistaken, I just don't see why 1 person should need up to 2 packs?

I'm hoping actual fans bought the cards and not
scalpers. In all truth? I don't like how they dont mass produce enough cards for the release knowing how cheap they are and how easy it is for scalpers to buy up. I see they have a limit but I think it says 2 packs per person? That alone still is a lot. Why would one person need two packs if one pack alone can be scanned to several switches in the home? Unless I am mistaken, I just don't see why 1 person should need up to 2 packs?
Each pack only contains 6 cards, so in order to collect all the cards each person would theoretically need 8 packs to collect all 48 cards; probably more because it’s possible to get duplicate cards between packs.

Each pack only contains 6 cards, so in order to collect all the cards each person would theoretically need 8 packs to collect all 48 cards; probably more because it’s possible to get duplicate cards between packs.

Oh I see! That makes sense now! Thank you for clarifying! So, would you happen to know if it's a gaurentee that the purchaser will get a whole new set of cards from buying two packs? Or are they at random with no gautentee?

Oh I see! That makes sense now! Thank you for clarifying! So, would you happen to know if it's a gaurentee that the purchaser will get a whole new set of cards from buying two packs? Or are they at random with no gautentee?

If I understand the question correctly:
It’s likely enough with two packs that you won’t have any duplicates, but not guaranteed.

EDIT to add: this forum is a wonderful place to trade cards with other people though. If you get a duplicate card, you can see if someone would want to exchange it for a different one. I’m sure there’ll be lots of trading going on soon after the cards are released!

wow these seem really hard to come by :0 i was considering buying some, but now i may just make a few of my own so that i can for sure get sasha

To add onto this! @Cosmic_Crossfade
There's 24 NPCs and 24 villagers in Series 5. In North America, where the packs are 1 NPC, 5 villagers, if you were lucky to not have any repeats (ha), it would be at minimum 24 packs for every NPC and roughly 5 for the villagers.
For EU/AUS and Japan, it's 1 NPC to 2 villagers, so it's 24 minimum for NPCs and 12 minimum for all the villagers.
So for example, if you're looking for a specific villager, depending on your region, it's either a 1/4.8 or a 1/12 chance to find your villager.

And they're always random, so you may wind up with two of the same NPC or villager in different blind packs. I don't think I've ever heard of a villager repeating in the same blind pack, though, so there's that...?

(I quickly crunched the numbers in my head, so i could be off with the probability here! ;v; )

Sold out. Of course. I knew this was going to happen. Probably snatched up by scalpers.

Oh well, I can always get them later. More excited about the update than the cards anyways.

I missed out on pre-orders, too, but I'm hoping the Targets near me will have a pack. It was pretty easy to get a hold of the Sanrio Amiibos there for me.

To add onto this! @Cosmic_Crossfade
There's 24 NPCs and 24 villagers in Series 5. In North America, where the packs are 1 NPC, 5 villagers, if you were lucky to not have any repeats (ha), it would be at minimum 24 packs for every NPC and roughly 5 for the villagers.
For EU/AUS and Japan, it's 1 NPC to 2 villagers, so it's 24 minimum for NPCs and 12 minimum for all the villagers.
So for example, if you're looking for a specific villager, depending on your region, it's either a 1/4.8 or a 1/12 chance to find your villager.

And they're always random, so you may wind up with two of the same NPC or villager in different blind packs. I don't think I've ever heard of a villager repeating in the same blind pack, though, so there's that...?

(I quickly crunched the numbers in my head, so i could be off with the probability here! ;v; )

I totally can't math so you probably came closer than I ever will 😆 Ooo so there's a chance you can get doubles? Yikes! I feel they should then just limit 1 pack per person since their are no gaurenteed odds of getting all if the villagers but doing so wouldn't allow you to get the 24 villagers... At the same time, I wish Nintendo didn't have us rely in RNG with their card packs and had just put all 24 cards of the villagers in Series 5 in one pack for a reasonable price.

Back