• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

@Reginald Fairfield I’ve (pretty much) finished up season six of Naruto and made it to season seven. I am now at the curry filler and can officially say I’ve seen Ranmaru. I’m looking forward to seeing how the rest of this (as well as season seven) plays out. :)
Okay, I finished Naruto a couple months ago and I'm on season 2 of Shippuden (though I never watch it cause it's so long)
What are your thoughts on season 5?

I don't believe they've got an official, full uncut release in the states. If I don't torrent or stream it, that would leave bootlegs. I don't believe I've seen a region free set on ebay.
oh noooo there's no official release? D: now THAT is really sad. definitely hadn't considered the downsides like that in my original post. what a bummer.... i hope there's an official release eventually!

Okay, I finished Naruto a couple months ago and I'm on season 2 of Shippuden (though I never watch it cause it's so long)
What are your thoughts on season 5?

I thought the split between Naruto and Sasuke was to be expected. They’re just too different from each other in what they’re trying to accomplish and how they view life. The fights with the Sound Ninja Five were intense and I really enjoyed those as well. Those battles were the highlight of the season for me.

I was told not to watch season 2 of One Punch Man. Is it just the visual downgrade?
I watched both seasons and since animation quality is not high on my list of priorities, the visuals didn't bother me. But the story in season 2 just felt 'meh' to me. Sure, Saitama still had some hilarious lines and moments, but there was something missing.

You can certainly give it a try if you want. Your opinion may differ. For me, it lost its charm.

Has anyone seen the anime Made in Abyss? Is it any good? I'm thinking of watching it, but I don't know if I would like it or not. I've heard good things about it, and that it's kind of sad.

Has anyone seen the anime Made in Abyss? Is it any good? I'm thinking of watching it, but I don't know if I would like it or not. I've heard good things about it, and that it's kind of sad.

Yeah, I watched it a year or two ago and loved it. It’s a really adventure-like anime featuring two main characters, one a human and one a cyborg. There are definitely sad scenes in the show, so be prepared for that if you do watch it. I’d definitely recommend it though. It’s a great anime.

Yeah, I watched it a year or two ago and loved it. It’s a really adventure-like anime featuring two main characters, one a human and one a cyborg. There are definitely sad scenes in the show, so be prepared for that if you do watch it. I’d definitely recommend it though. It’s a great anime.
Is Reg the cyborg?

The mangaka of Berserk, Miura Kentaro, has passed away.

A sad, heartfelt loss. He was a wonderful storyteller and an amazing artist whose imagination truly knew no bounds and whose work inspired many, many others in the manga and videogame world. Berserk is, at its heart, a story of hope. Never stop struggling against the overwhelming odds, never give in to the temptation of self-loathing, never refuse help from your friends. Rest in peace, Miura-sensei.

The mangaka of Berserk, Miura Kentaro, has passed away.

A sad, heartfelt loss. He was a wonderful storyteller and an amazing artist whose imagination truly knew no bounds and whose work inspired many, many others in the manga and videogame world. Berserk is, at its heart, a story of hope. Never stop struggling against the overwhelming odds, never give in to the temptation of self-loathing, never refuse help from your friends. Rest in peace, Miura-sensei.
This is hitting me hard. ._.
Berserk meant so much to me when I was entering my adult years.

I will definitely be spending the day jamming to the 1997 OST and being sad.

I've considered watching it. Is it bad?
It's good but there is definitely a lot of mature and upsetting/disturbing content so I'd recommend looking up trigger warnings before delving into it. The main relationship is very well developed and the plot is interesting, although I've heard the anime cut out some stuff from the manga, so I'm looking into that now. The ending is sad, though, unfortunately, and if you dislike stories about LGBT characters where
one of them dies at the end
I would probably avoid it for that reason as well. I personally don't think it's necessarily a
bury your gays thing, though-- just unfortunately the outcome of a very harrowing life for one of the main characters.

Edited to add spoiler tags, my bad.

It's good but there is definitely a lot of mature and upsetting/disturbing content so I'd recommend looking up trigger warnings before delving into it. The main relationship is very well developed and the plot is interesting, although I've heard the anime cut out some stuff from the manga, so I'm looking into that now. The ending is sad, though, unfortunately, and if you dislike stories about LGBT characters where
one of them dies at the end
I would probably avoid it for that reason as well. I personally don't think it's necessarily a
bury your gays thing, though-- just unfortunately the outcome of a very harrowing life for one of the main characters.

Edited to add spoiler tags, my bad.
Hm, didn't know it was gonna be sad lmao. I might rethink!

I'd actually like to hear about some of the older or more obscure titles you've seen.
Oh, wow, I've seen so many sometimes it's hard to remember until something jogs my memory like your posts. But I'll try to name a few. This list is not in any kind of order, just as they come to mind.

There were a couple of older anime that got me started as a fan. These were sort of my preferred genres back in high school and they are so well done so they were the perfect gateway.

Vampire Hunter D
Record of Lodoss War
Vampire Princess Miyu
Vision of Escaflowne

My current favorite anime are also considered old now. They all have deep psychological plot points and mess with your head a bit.

Elfen Lied
Serial Experiments Lain
Perfect Blue

Some of the more obscure anime I never see people talking about but I liked them.

Seven Samurai
Flame of Recca
Sukeban Deka
Basilisk
Inu x Boku
Haibane Renmei
Romeo x Juliet
Emma: A Victorian Romance

One that I'm currently watching that hasn't gotten a lot of hype:
Joran: The Princess of Snow and Blood

I'm still not sure how I feel about this one. It's got some awesome visuals and the opening theme is killer. The characters and story seem like they should be good, but I think there's something about the flow and timing that's keeping me from really getting invested in them. The last few episodes have been a bit better though.

Edited to add: I remembered another older anime that I was obsessed with at one point. I had tons of art and merchandise.
Ah! My Goddess

Last edited:
Back