• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

Tamako Market! It's by KyoAni also!
Azumanga Daioh is a slice of life series that's really funny (imo)
i LOVE tamako market and the movie ! since its a love story and thats a bit of a trigger for me atm, i wont be rewatching it soon, but ill check out the other one ! thank u ~

I haven't tried Hidive specifically but it was a part of VRV's package for a while and I watched a few shows through Hidive on there. Mainly, what I remember is that their subtitles were terrible.

Sometimes they would skip subtitling a few sentences or even an entire conversation. There were whole episodes listed as English subtitles but they'd be in Spanish instead. Things like that really annoyed me because I prefer the original language. Luckily, I know just enough Japanese and Spanish that I was usually able to piece together what was going on, but it was extremely frustrating. I never watched any dubs from Hidive so I can't comment on those.

And the subtitling issues only happened on Hidive shows, not Crunchyroll or VRV shows, so it seemed to be a problem originating with Hidive itself.
That doesn't sound like good competition. Of course Funimation is becoming known for taking liberties with their scripts, and not above twitter drama when asked about that. I also keep hearing funi's costumer service is nonexistent. I'm not seeing a good option.

tbh i like short animes, especially because ive had a break from them for so long so ill need something short to get back into it. we´ll see if the friend responds ☺ but since ive got a lot of time on my hands and need a good distraction, i might watch it tonight
I enjoyed it but like Midoriya said it's only one season long. They spend the entire season basically creating the world and setting up the storyline just for it to end without being finished. It also took a couple episodes for me to even understand what was happening but once I did it definitely got better. But anyways if you're interested in any anime I honestly just say go for it and give it a try cause everyone has different opinions on what they like though. (Also I love your pfp, Shiro is adorable)

That doesn't sound like good competition. Of course Funimation is becoming known for taking liberties with their scripts, and not above twitter drama when asked about that. I also keep hearing funi's costumer service is nonexistent. I'm not seeing a good option.
Yeah, I wouldn't pay for Hidive based on my limited experience with them. Although, they did often have OVAs that the other services didn't offer, so I guess that's a plus.

I had a bad time with Funimation too and dropped them because of the video quality. It was always very glitchy and I couldn't get through an episode without multiple skips and pauses. I had similar issues with VRV, but not as bad as Funimation.

Crunchyroll has been the only anime service that's worked consistently well for me. I really hope it doesn't go downhill.

has anyone here watched no game no life ? u think i would have considering my icon, but i just have a mere interest. so is it any good ?

It's a good watch! It's been a hot minute since I've actually seen it but I remember enjoying it. Lots of "big brain" plays in the games they play. I think it has some fanservice in it though. Basically a couple of siblings who are really smart and good at games who work together to beat the ultimate game.

Is anyone else watching Sonny Boy this season? I'm really enjoying it! It's different and I love the character designs.

I'm also watching Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi and Getter Robo Arc. Idaten-tachi has some tonal inconsistencies that are kind of a problem and are sometimes even offensive, but it's odd enough that I'm still interested.

Haven't done an update in a while lol
First thing I watched since my last update was High Rise Invasion which I really liked tbh. The concept was interesting and I'm a fan of action stuff so it kept me interested the whole time. They just had to end it on a cliffhanger though...
After that as I somewhat talked about I watched No Game No Life which was good and I enjoyed the storyline and the characters and I'm sad it most likely won't have a continuation. The only thing that slightly bothered me was the amount of fanservice.
And then most recently I started Charlotte, which I really like so far. I've always liked stuff where the characters have powers so it's right up my alley.
And finally as always I'm watching MHA...sad that the season will be over soon...but I'm super excited for the movie that will be coming out in a couple months!!

So I'm seeing online a lot of people being upset about the crunchyroll/funimation thing, can someone explain why this would be bad? I think it would be really nice to have both those services together just so it makes it easier and maybe more things would be able to get dubbed since from what I have heard Funimation seems to have more dubs compared to crunchyroll?

So I'm seeing online a lot of people being upset about the crunchyroll/funimation thing, can someone explain why this would be bad? I think it would be really nice to have both those services together just so it makes it easier and maybe more things would be able to get dubbed since from what I have heard Funimation seems to have more dubs compared to crunchyroll?

A lot of people are expecting the app to go downhill once it’s merged because it’s going to be given the Disney+ treatment. I’m also not particularly fond of Sony either. I am hopeful that it will be a great change like you said, but unfortunately past experience has taught me that things like this don’t usually go well.

Speaking of streaming services, I’m also fearful that, with the move away from cable and other things that has been happening, in the future we’re going to be paying for too many streaming services, and it’s going to end up costing more than cable ever did. I would hope that people would choose not to support something like that and boycott it, but considering people’s FOMO and everything else, it’s highly unlikely. My school actually did an entire research project on this subject, which is the only reason I know a lot about it.

So I’m in the middle of moving and could use some lighthearted anime to de-stress with. Many slow paced slice of life series are a bit too slow for me though. Does anyone have a recommendation for a relaxing anime that still has a good pace?

Is anyone else watching Sonny Boy this season? I'm really enjoying it! It's different and I love the character designs.

*raises hand* Sonny Boy is intriguing. The story could go anywhere, and I like that. I love the way it looks. So stark and bright. A few characters are growing on me.

I'm also watching Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi and Getter Robo Arc. Idaten-tachi has some tonal inconsistencies that are kind of a problem and are sometimes even offensive, but it's odd enough that I'm still interested.

I wanted to like Heion Sedai no Idaten-tachi because of the seiyuu cast. I knew nothing about the story. I watched the first episode and thought it was rather formulaic in terms of plot and characterization. The colourful art style was a feast for the eyes though. So I enjoyed it until that very last scene. I've seen much worse in anime, but that scene felt so jarring and gratuitous that it put me off. I decided right there I wouldn't watch any more.

So I’m in the middle of moving and could use some lighthearted anime to de-stress with. Many slow paced slice of life series are a bit too slow for me though. Does anyone have a recommendation for a relaxing anime that still has a good pace?
I haven't seen this yet. Someone asked for something similar a few pages back. I posted the trailer for them, here's a clip. What do you think?

Post automatically merged:

One layer to this onion would be censorship. They've been a bit heavy handed with their anime games, while "The Last of Us 2" gets an awkward love scene. There's also been talks of committees having preemptive creative control over shows. Funimation has already become known for taking bizarre liberties with their scripts, despite accuracy being in their mission statement from the beginning.

Last edited:
Speaking of streaming services, I’m also fearful that, with the move away from cable and other things that has been happening, in the future we’re going to be paying for too many streaming services, and it’s going to end up costing more than cable ever did. I would hope that people would choose not to support something like that and boycott it, but considering people’s FOMO and everything else, it’s highly unlikely. My school actually did an entire research project on this subject, which is the only reason I know a lot about it.
I said the same thing when we dropped satellite. At the time, we were paying for 3 different streaming services but I suspected things would get out of hand. Now, we're paying for 6-7 services and still don't have access to everything we'd like to see. Our monthly cost is still about half of what we were paying before, but I can only see it increasing in the future.

I'm willing to wait and see what happens with the whole Sony thing. I hope they'll do good things like merge the content. But I do have low-key concerns about the possibilities of censorship and altering the scripts for subtitles and dubs. I just want to watch my anime in its original form.

Since we’re reaching the end of season five, I thought I would go ahead and compile a list of my TOP 10 favorite My Hero Academia scenes from across all five seasons. It was extremely difficult to do this, and I’m still not 100% about my list, but this is what I came up with. Enjoy!

10. Ranking in at number ten, Deku showing off his new Shoot Style to save All Might was cool enough to just barely make it into the final list. In the sub All Might says, “that’s right,” but personally I love the dub where he says, “you’ve got it, kid”.

9. Ranking in at number nine, Endeavor facing off against Hood was incredible. The fact that he had to go all out and use a plus ultra version of his special move must mean he was running out of options. It was a difficult fight, but he managed to win and prove to people that he has what it takes to be the new number one hero.

8. Ranking in at number eight, Deku, with the help of Eri, being able to constantly release 100% of his power was simply amazing. He would need to, as Overhaul in his final form was a scary opponent indeed.

7. Ranking in at number seven, Deku facing off against Muscular and using a 1,000,000% smash to finish him off and save Kota was incredible. Bonus points for Deku already being injured in the fight.

6. Ranking in at number six, All Might using Gran Torino’s teachings to open All For One up for a United States of Smash attack was spectacular. United States of Smash is the strongest move a OFA user can use, and should only be used as the very last resort, as using it will render the user incapable of using OFA ever again.

5. Ranking in at number five, Sun Eater used his Quirk in a unique way in order to defeat three tough villains at the same time. What he said about not “eating” your friends is true, as a friend who uses their friends is no friend at all.

4. Ranking in at number four, Red Riot getting back in front of Fat Gum so Fat Gum can finish charging his special move was awesome. Red Riot proved by doing this that he can be courageous, brave, and gutsy as well. The icing on the cake is Fat Gum commending him as he uses his special attack and blows the baddies away.

3. Ranking in at number three, Lemillion losing his Quirk was devastating. However, as a true hero would, he continued to fight against Overhaul even without a Quirk, using careful strategy, offense, and avoiding Overhaul‘s attacks to stay alive. It only cemented the fact that even people without Quirks can do a great deal (like Deku showed in the beginning of the show).

2. Ranking in a number two, this scene is the highlight of the newest season for me, and shows what fledgling heroes can do together when they really put their minds to it. It also just displays the teamwork they can easily utilize, and the future potential for each of them as heroes as well. Deku being able to control Blackwhip for the first time is great, and Deku receiving his first praise as a hero was the icing on the cake.

1. And the number one scene on this list? What could it be other than Deku, at the time just Midoriya, running into harm’s way to save the boy who bullied him growing up, Bakugo. All Might always said that meddling where one shouldn’t is the essence of a hero, and Midoriya proved this by doing something none of the other heroes at the scene could.

—-

It’s the SatAM, time for the return of a new My Hero Academia/Boku no Hero Academia episode!

The third term, which is the final term for Class 1-A before they advance to their second years, began. Everyone shared their accomplishments from the work studies. Meanwhile, Aizawa and Present Mic were taken to Tartarus to talk to Kurogiri. It was revealed that Kurogiri is a Nomu, who was created using the remains of Oboro, a friend from the past of Aizawa’s and Present Mic. Oboro wanted to start a hero agency with Aizawa and Present Mic, but died during their work studies. Aizawa and Present Mic talked to Kurogiri and tried to get Oboro to respond from within. The only thing he managed to say was “hospital,” which was still valuable information. Tests are being performed on Shigaraki… just what will happen from all of this?

Next time, on My Hero Academia! We go back in the past to two months ago to focus on the villains and how they got stronger. Go beyond! Plus ultra!

Last edited:
I’ve watched a few episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist and a few episodes of Hunter X Hunter. I’m honestly really into Hunter X Hunter. I like the storyline mostly, was into it from the first episode. I’m going to continue watching it.

Thanks to @Midoriya for the recommendations you gave me, like, two months ago on this thread! I’m enjoying it. I actually have it playing on my phone simultaneously as I’m typing this. I should be going to sleep soon though, but I think I’ll stay up a bit longer. 😖

I have a few suggestions I'm not sure if you've seen any of these.
-Laid-Back Camp
-Non Non Biyori
-Flying Witch
-Interviews with monster girls
-Natsume's Book of Friends (A personal favorite of mine)
-School Babysitters

I’ve watched a few episodes of Fullmetal Alchemist and a few episodes of Hunter X Hunter. I’m honestly really into Hunter X Hunter. I like the storyline mostly, was into it from the first episode. I’m going to continue watching it.

Thanks to @Midoriya for the recommendations you gave me, like, two months ago on this thread! I’m enjoying it. I actually have it playing on my phone simultaneously as I’m typing this. I should be going to sleep soon though, but I think I’ll stay up a bit longer. 😖

Yeah!! HunterxHunter is honestly a trip. It’s over 100 episodes, so it takes awhile to finish it, but definitely worth it (and nowhere near as long as something like Naruto or One Piece). I’m glad you’re enjoying it. :)

Today I watched the first episode of Fena: Pirate Princess. I've been looking forward to this anime since I saw the trailer a month or so ago. There was more humor than I expected, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. They also introduced some characters that show some serious fighting prowess, which is the part I'm really interested in. After just the first episode, it's too early to tell if I'll love it yet, but it's got promise.

I found an old rare Gainax no one talks about, Petite Princess Yucie. MC goes to a magic school to try to lift a curse that makes her look 10 forever. Sounds kinda boring, but there's a brat literally from Hell basically being Chloe from Miraculous Ladybug. Of course it's expensive on ebay. It was last distributed by ADV which makes it at least 15 years old.

Back