• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

I have 2 questions. 1: why does this exist and 2: why do I want it?

Watching at the moment The Tatami Galaxy again as well as Good Luck Girl! (also known as Binbougami
ga!).

I have 2 questions. 1: why does this exist and 2: why do I want it?

What the heck is this and why is this so damn well animated?

I finally finished Rozen Maiden. I watched all 4 series: Rozen Maiden, Traumend, Ouverture, and Zuruckspulen. I feel the need to review Zuruckspulen separately because it came out much later from a different studio and I felt differently about it than the rest of the anime. The one constant across all 4 series was the gorgeous music that perfectly suited the themes and the beautiful imagery.

I really enjoyed these episodes. The story was good overall, the characters were distinct and enjoyable, and it was a nice mixture of serious subject matter along with some cute comic relief. My complaint would be that there were a lot of open-ended questions and the outcome of the final battle with Bara-Suishou felt forced with the characters making poor decisions and being ineffective for no real reason other than that the writers wanted Bara-Suishou to win. We end the series with no real resolution and not even knowing who the true seventh doll is.

Ouverture was a nice addition to explore how Sugintou came into existence, because that was one of my nagging questions throughout most of the series.

I was highly disappointed in this final season. It came out many years after the completion of the prior seasons and was done by a different studio, so the animation style was different. The animation was one of the high points for me. They used texture and vivid colors and refined some of the details to make the imagery really stand out. The music also remained solid.

All of my problems were related to the story. First, this season assumes you followed the manga. Since the earlier seasons of the anime differed from the manga, I felt lost at the beginning. Events have taken place that weren't in the earlier seasons and the seventh doll has already captured many of our protagonists. This story focuses on an alternate world where the dolls do not exist and the main character, Jun, from the world with the dolls is reaching out to the Jun from this world for help. I didn't really like that storyline and I didn't feel like it was executed well. This Jun was well thought out as far as his personality and psychology, but too much of the story was spent sitting and waiting. Nothing of interest was happening and I didn't understand why Shinku wasn't taking any action.

Then, the ending wasn't really an ending at all. The last few episodes things finally got going, only to end rather anticlimactically. But then the final episode hints at the return of Kirakisho and leaves you with Jun from the alternate world being called to help. It felt like a midway point of a season, not an ending. I can only assume they were expecting to get more episodes but didn't. I had to look up how the manga ended to get some resolution.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I finally finished Rozen Maiden. I watched all 4 series: Rozen Maiden, Traumend, Ouverture, and Zuruckspulen. I feel the need to review Zuruckspulen separately because it came out much later from a different studio and I felt differently about it than the rest of the anime. The one constant across all 4 series was the gorgeous music that perfectly suited the themes and the beautiful imagery.

I really enjoyed these episodes. The story was good overall, the characters were distinct and enjoyable, and it was a nice mixture of serious subject matter along with some cute comic relief. My complaint would be that there were a lot of open-ended questions and the outcome of the final battle with Bara-Suishou felt forced with the characters making poor decisions and being ineffective for no real reason other than that the writers wanted Bara-Suishou to win. We end the series with no real resolution and not even knowing who the true seventh doll is.

Ouverture was a nice addition to explore how Sugintou came into existence, because that was one of my nagging questions throughout most of the series.

I was highly disappointed in this final season. It came out many years after the completion of the prior seasons and was done by a different studio, so the animation style was different. The animation was one of the high points for me. They used texture and vivid colors and refined some of the details to make the imagery really stand out. The music also remained solid.

All of my problems were related to the story. First, this season assumes you followed the manga. Since the earlier seasons of the anime differed from the manga, I felt lost at the beginning. Events have taken place that weren't in the earlier seasons and the seventh doll has already captured many of our protagonists. This story focuses on an alternate world where the dolls do not exist and the main character, Jun, from the world with the dolls is reaching out to the Jun from this world for help. I didn't really like that storyline and I didn't feel like it was executed well. This Jun was well thought out as far as his personality and psychology, but too much of the story was spent sitting and waiting. Nothing of interest was happening and I didn't understand why Shinku wasn't taking any action.

Then, the ending wasn't really an ending at all. The last few episodes things finally got going, only to end rather anticlimactically. But then the final episode hints at the return of Kirakisho and leaves you with Jun from the alternate world being called to help. It felt like a midway point of a season, not an ending. I can only assume they were expecting to get more episodes but didn't. I had to look up how the manga ended to get some resolution.

I just recently tonight got to watch more Made in Abyss, so I’ll be posting about it now.

Made in Abyss episodes 5-8:

Riko and Regu got into some trouble when a corpse-caller captured Riko and flew into the air with her. As the creature was about to feed her to its chicks, Regu fired off a blast of fire that destroyed everything in its path, and then went and saved Riko. The move was dubbed “incinerator,” and Regu gets immediately tired after using it. From there, they continued on to Seeker Camp, where they met Ouzen the Immovable Sovereign. Ouzen told them many secrets about the Abyss and even tested them. After testing them in battle, Ouzen sent the two into the dark forest to try and survive on their own for ten days. They were able to use strategy, wits, and what little physical strength they had to survive. After making it out of survival training alive, Riko and Regu are now headed to the third layer of the Abyss, The Great Fault... definitely looking forward to the coming episodes.

Also, today marks the five month anniversary of The Anime Degenerates Association (TA-DA) Discord server! If you’re interested in anime at all or just want to hangout with some cool peeps, check it out here:

TA-DA!

That’s all for now. c:

Last edited:
Today I started watching Rising of the Shield Hero. Just based on the first episode, it already seems really good and I can't wait to watch more.

kinda feel like rewatching mha before season 4 but funimation ads make me mad

also tbh i think one punch man did a better job with the hero stuff than mha. ik theyre really different but oh idkkk

Today I started watching Rising of the Shield Hero. Just based on the first episode, it already seems really good and I can't wait to watch more.

It's an amazing show, you're in for a ride!

Congratz to TADA! Love you guys!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also Ozen is the best MIA character!
The Great Fault is awesome and definitely a rollercoaster. Youre also in for a ride but remember it's only the third layer. It only gets worse the deeper they travel.

Last edited:
Anyone here watch or play Steins Gate? Thoughts? I've watched it a while ago and thought it was great but now that i've played the VNs, I cant get it out of my head. It's so cool! Sonuva*****!

Last edited:
I watched the most recent episode of Black Clover and finished Made in Abyss tonight!

Black Clover episode 101:

Noelle, Nozel, and Kirsch met up with Zora, Asta, Yuno, Mereoleona, and Mimosa, and figured out that Licht’s base was headed for the royal capital. Once Asta and the others were healed thanks to a magic item from Nozel, they headed in that direction. On the way, they found out someone was attacking Hage village in the forbidden realm, Asta and Yuno’s hometown. As the villagers and old man were poisoned by an elf inside a magic knight with poisonous magic, and Nash was about to rush the enemy with what little magic he has, Asta and Yuno showed up, ready to defend him and everyone else in Hage village. Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes.

Made in Abyss episodes 9-13:

Riko and Reg descended The Great Fault and met their fair share of troubles, but made it to the Goblet of Giants, the fourth layer of the abyss. An orb piercer ended up attacking Riko and Reg and poisoning Riko. Out of options, Reg was holding Riko and crying, telling her to breathe again. A curious visitor, Nanachi, was watching and helped Reg save Riko. Reg and Riko then lived with Nanachi for awhile and learned that Nanachi is a Hollow, as well as Nanachi’s friend, Mitty, who had lost all of her humanity and ability to speak. Nanachi and Mitty had previously been humans like Riko, but had been turned into Hollows when a sinister white whistle, Bondrewd, performed experiments on them in the sixth layer of the abyss, the Sea of Corpses. By pulling them up out of that layer, the strain of ascending made Mitty turn from a human into a mushy mess with one eye that can’t speak or do things humans can. Nanachi was affected as well, but to a lesser degree, and turned into a fuzzy creature kind of Hollow. Nanachi pleaded that Reg destroy Mitty for her with his incinerator move from his robot body. Reg eventually agreed to, but told Nanachi to keep living, even after Mitty is gone and Riko is fully healed. Nanachi agreed, and the three of them set out on an adventure back to where Nanachi came from, the bottom of the Abyss.

Now for my review of the show:

The show Made in Abyss is very different from other anime you’ll find, and uses a good story and plot that revolves around the fact that cave raiders, known as “whistles,” want to explore a deep hole in the ground that goes very far down and is filled with exotic creatures and relics, known as the Abyss. While the show explains everything and the characters really well, and the pacing is good for most of the 13 episode series, I feel as if the latter part of the series where Riko is poisoned for several episodes could have been shortened down to one episode to allow more room for continuing the series and Riko, Reg, and Nanachi’s descent further into the Abyss. Despite this, Made in Abyss is a fantastic adventure/action anime with a knack for connecting the viewers emotions with those of the characters. If you are looking for something that is more lighthearted, but can be serious at times, look no further. Made in Abyss ranks in at an excellent 9/10 on the anime scale. :cool:

That’s all for tonight! c:

Anyone here watch or play Steins Gate? Thoughts? I've watched it a while ago and thought it was great but now that i've played the VNs, I cant get it out of my head. It's so cool! Sonuva*****!

I've watched both Steins Gate and Steins Gate 0. They were both very good. Such an amazingly well done story!

Bump.

Tonight NoUsernameHere (NUH) and myself each started an anime the other has seen all of. I started JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures, and NUH watched Hunter x Hunter (2011). We both watched the first two episodes of each anime.

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures episodes 1-2 (part 1):

I thought the pacing started off a bit fast, but basically Dio Brando comes by to Jonathan Joestar, or JoJo, and his mansion and is adopted by JoJo’s father. Dio begins messing with JoJo and eventually finds out about the mask that JoJo had. In episode two seven years have passed, and it seems like JoJo and Dio are friends, but Dio is plotting to kill JoJo’s father and take the family fortune for himself. After testing out the mask on a random thug on the streets, Dio is nearly killed by the guy after the mask transforms him into a literal zombie. Thankfully for Dio, the sun comes out and the zombie guy disintegrates into nothing. I made the joke to NUH and others that it would be hilarious if the zombie guy killed Dio, and then JoJo didn’t have to worry about a smug blonde guy anymore. “You thought it was Dio, but it was me, zombie guy!” xD. Anyway, definitely looking forward to binging the rest of the series.

I love both those series! I hope you both enjoy each individually!

Last edited:
I watched the final episode of season 1 of the new Fruits Basket remake yesterday. I really liked it. It was nice that it went more in depth on some things, including some of the side characters, and I look forward to meeting the remaining characters who got teased at the end of this season.

My husband, who is a huge fan of the original anime, didn't like it as much. He felt like it didn't have the same emotional impact as the original. Of course, I thought it was hard to gauge because I already knew the story and all of the reveals this time, which should lessen the impact in my opinion. But mainly, I'm excited for the story to continue so I can see where it goes from here. I haven't read the manga, so next season will be all new to me.

im watching steins gate right now and it is amazing. easily my favourite anime rn

im watching steins gate right now and it is amazing. easily my favourite anime rn

Oh my gosh, where are you currently? Keep me posted! It's one of my favorites and I love it so much!

Id suggests getting the VNs when they're on sale. If you love the anime, you'll love these 10x more!

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, where are you currently? Keep me posted! It's one of my favorites and I love it so much!

Id suggests getting the VNs when they're on sale. If you love the anime, you'll love these 10x more!

im on ep19!
honestly the episodes where okube kept trying to save mayuri had me shivering. definitely my favourites so far
i never new it had a visual novel omg i'll definitely try get them!

im on ep19!
honestly the episodes where okube kept trying to save mayuri had me shivering. definitely my favourites so far
i never new it had a visual novel omg i'll definitely try get them!

I know right? The self-proclaimed mad scientist with a freaking time machine is powerless in saving his best friend, Mayuri. It was at that time kyouma began to realized just how insignificant the power he possessed actually was. Thankfully though, this doesn't stop our favorite mad scientist and he keeps trying and trying to get it right. Could anyone do the same? See your friend die over and over again? Certainly not me, now if that doesn't show kyouma's strength in will, I don't know what does.

And yes it does have VNs and they add so much more detail to the story. Not forgetting the fact they also add extra story bassed on the different path taken.

Last edited:
I've a complicated relationship to anime.
I'm a fan of animation in general, but most animated films/shows of the west are meant for children, and I tend to really dislike them, even if they're at that line of transition between childish and mature. You know, like Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Steven Universe. So I kinda have to resort to anime for mature animated entertainment.
Ultimately, I want shows and films with mature themes that are handled maturely. Some animated things in the west have mature themes but they have to be handled with too much levity as to not make them too adult. Some animated things in the east have mature themes that are handled with too much levity for... uh, reasons beyond me. but the things is, most animated films of the east that I've seen have that perfect balance of mature themes and mature execution that i look for, and so my favorite directors of all time are mostly japanese. hayao miyazaki, katsuhiro otomo, satoshi kon, mamoru hosoda. for that i consider myself a great fan of anime ~

I know right? The self-proclaimed mad scientist with a freaking time machine is powerless in saving his best friend, Mayuri. It was at that time kyouma began to realized just how insignificant the power he possessed actually was. Thankfully though, this doesn't stop our favorite mad scientist and he keeps trying and trying to get it right. Could anyone do the same? See your friend die over and over again? Certainly not me, now if that doesn't show kyouma's strength in will, I don't know what does.

And yes it does have VNs and they add so much more detail to the story. Not forgetting the fact they also add extra story bassed on the different path taken.

honestly if i saw my best friend die many times i would go insane, watched eps 19 and 21 today and holy crap i cantt. i never wouldve guessed landlord guy was involved aND his poor daughter omggg. interested to see how okube manages to save both mayuri and kurisu

dear everyone

watch steins;gate

yours sincerely
everyone whos watching/ has watched it

I've never been into much anime besides Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica (does vocaloid count?) but my boyfriend and I have been watching The Promised Neverland together since he's a fan of the genre(is anime a genre?? idk, feel free to correct me) and I actually really enjoy it. I'm going to watch Mob Psycho next because he's a fan of that and I plan on watching more anime in the future.

Back