• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

Hey guys! I'm back for more recommendations!

Anyone know any slice of life anime that aren't fanservicy or moe blob? I've been looking for something relaxing to watch but has some substance to it.

Hey guys! I'm back for more recommendations!

Anyone know any slice of life anime that aren't fanservicy or moe blob? I've been looking for something relaxing to watch but has some substance to it.
If you're looking for a slice of life more on the rom-com side, I recommend Ore Monogatari, Toradora! or Nodame Cantabile (if you can find them, I watched a long time ago). K-on is a really good one as well (and I don't think it has any romance, if you're not into that)

If you're looking for a slice of life more on the rom-com side, I recommend Ore Monogatari, Toradora! or Nodame Cantabile (if you can find them, I watched a long time ago). K-on is a really good one as well (and I don't think it has any romance, if you're not into that)
Ah thanks for the recs!!

I've seen K-On and liked it a lot. It's considered a moe blob I suppose but I liked it lol. Wasn't too much of a fan of Toradora as Taiga annoyed me lol. Loved Minori though! I'll check out the other two! I've heard of Ore Monogatari so now is the time to watch it! I haven't heard of Nodame Cantabile but it looks super cute so I'll check it out too!!

Ah thanks for the recs!!

I've seen K-On and liked it a lot. It's considered a moe blob I suppose but I liked it lol. Wasn't too much of a fan of Toradora as Taiga annoyed me lol. Loved Minori though! I'll check out the other two! I've heard of Ore Monogatari so now is the time to watch it! I haven't heard of Nodame Cantabile but it looks super cute so I'll check it out too!!
Oh no! Toradora is one of my favorite rom-coms lol I find it to be the opposite... I think Minori is super shady (I think it's funny how we like the opposite characters lol) Both of those shows are hilarious, they're definitely worth a watch.
Chihayafuru and Space Brothers are also pretty good thematic slice of life shows! Although, Chihayafuru can get a bit boring at times.
Didn't know what moeblob was until today lol so thanks for that bit of info!

Oh no! Toradora is one of my favorite rom-coms lol I find it to be the opposite... I think Minori is super shady (I think it's funny how we like the opposite characters lol) Both of those shows are hilarious, they're definitely worth a watch.
Chihayafuru and Space Brothers are also pretty good thematic slice of life shows! Although, Chihayafuru can get a bit boring at times.
Didn't know what moeblob was until today lol so thanks for that bit of info!
Haha that is funny! I do have to admit that Taiga did have her moments, especially any scene with her and Ami in it. She was straight savage LOL.
Thanks for more reqs! I haven't heard of either of those so I'll add them to my list!
And yeah haha, it's another term for cute girls doing cute things. It's just not usually my cup of tea. As a female, I find it weird watching these girls acting all strange just for the sake of cuteness. I find that most of the time shows like that are just "look at this cute girl! Isn't she cute!?" and offers nothing else so I get bored haha. Judging by the comments online, K-On gets blended in that category and yes, it has moments like that...ish. To me it's different because the girls act silly like groups of teens would which is different than the "I wanna be your big sister" thing in Is The Order a Rabbit. I don't know anyone in real life who wanders around "collecting" little sisters. It's weird lol. But that's why it kinda irks me when K-On gets a bad rep. To me, it's better than that!

It's late, I better get off here before I rant more lololol

I noticed not a lot of people reply to posts, but this thread was made to discuss anime and since I have no one IRL to talk to about anime, I'll take any chance I can get here 😅 😂
I think I stoped watching literally one episode before all 💩 went down 😭 YESSSS I DID!!!! The teacher's wife bugged me a bit, but I understand where she's coming from!

Mecha is so hard for me to get into : c some of the VERY few mechas I like are Bokurano (favorite mecha) and Kuromukuro
I think one of the earliest animes I ever watched (besides hamtaro and mirmo zibang) was Ranma 1/2

I've been told that my enjoyment of
mecha is flawed because I don't like Evangelion so I won't judge. My favourite mecha anime like I said is Gundam Wing and Escaflowne which seem to be odd picks in the world of mecha 😅

I think my earliest anime was...Samurai Pizza Cats (I used to watch it with my dad because he loved it but barely remember a thing lol) and/or Sailor Moon? Sailor Mars was my favorite because I was an Asian kid growing up in Canada with like no Asian representation on tv and she was Asian too (my kid brain didn't recognize that all the characters in SM were actually Asian because of their blonde/brown hair lol).

I just found out today that Cardcaptor Sakura is on Netflix so now I'm reliving that. I was actually on the app to start off Haikyuu so I should get on that haha
Samee! I was surprised to see Cardcaptor Sakura
My bf really likes Haikyuu and wants me to watch it but we ended up rewatching Kuruko instead lol

I noticed not a lot of people reply to posts, but this thread was made to discuss anime and since I have no one IRL to talk to about anime, I'll take any chance I can get here 😅 😂
I think I stoped watching literally one episode before all 💩 went down 😭 YESSSS I DID!!!! The teacher's wife bugged me a bit, but I understand where she's coming from!

Mecha is so hard for me to get into : c some of the VERY few mechas I like are Bokurano (favorite mecha) and Kuromukuro
I think one of the earliest animes I ever watched (besides hamtaro and mirmo zibang) was Ranma 1/2
Ayeeee!! I also have no one to talk about anime with in RL so this thread is refreshing! I am glad there is a space for people to get together and discuss anime haha.
YESS omg. My sentiments exactly! The advisor's wife rubbed me the wrong way too. She was definitely overstepping the boundaries and being a bit too harsh since Momoharu obviously already felt really bad and sorry that he came to check on the advisor. But I too understand where she was coming from. She just wanted more time with her husband and is worried about him. Still though, she could have been less harsh about it lol.

Haha that is funny! I do have to admit that Taiga did have her moments, especially any scene with her and Ami in it. She was straight savage LOL.
Thanks for more reqs! I haven't heard of either of those so I'll add them to my list!
And yeah haha, it's another term for cute girls doing cute things. It's just not usually my cup of tea. As a female, I find it weird watching these girls acting all strange just for the sake of cuteness. I find that most of the time shows like that are just "look at this cute girl! Isn't she cute!?" and offers nothing else so I get bored haha. Judging by the comments online, K-On gets blended in that category and yes, it has moments like that...ish. To me it's different because the girls act silly like groups of teens would which is different than the "I wanna be your big sister" thing in Is The Order a Rabbit. I don't know anyone in real life who wanders around "collecting" little sisters. It's weird lol. But that's why it kinda irks me when K-On gets a bad rep. To me, it's better than that!

It's late, I better get off here before I rant more lololol
Yes! It's been a while, but I remember disliking Ami so much the first time, then the second time I rewatched I kinda felt for her (I think lol).
Np! If you ever do end up watching Nodame Cantabile, let me know what you thought! I don't see many people mention it anywhere... and it's by far one of my favorite rom-coms (alongside Toradora lol) Nodame takes "airhead" to a different level and not in a cutesy way at all, plus there's a lot of character development!
Toradora marked me a lot, I don't know why.
Hopefully not in a bad way 😅
I've been told that my enjoyment of
mecha is flawed because I don't like Evangelion so I won't judge. My favourite mecha anime like I said is Gundam Wing and Escaflowne which seem to be odd picks in the world of mecha 😅

I think my earliest anime was...Samurai Pizza Cats (I used to watch it with my dad because he loved it but barely remember a thing lol) and/or Sailor Moon? Sailor Mars was my favorite because I was an Asian kid growing up in Canada with like no Asian representation on tv and she was Asian too (my kid brain didn't recognize that all the characters in SM were actually Asian because of their blonde/brown hair lol).
I'm not a fan of Neon Genesis either .-. I was kinda 'forced' into watching it because the person I was dating at the time LOVED it and... things didn't end well for us (I really had no interest in it to begin with... so I hardly remember anything that happened). I just searched Escaflowne and I feel like my young self would've really liked it.

I never watched Sailor Moon (if I did it was only a handful of episodes) however, I do remember watching Cardcaptor sakura, Tomorrow's Nadja, and Doraemon. (That's kinda cute, it's crazy how as children we see the world very differently and this changes depending on what we're exposed to)
Ayeeee!! I also have no one to talk about anime with in RL so this thread is refreshing! I am glad there is a space for people to get together and discuss anime haha.
YESS omg. My sentiments exactly! The advisor's wife rubbed me the wrong way too. She was definitely overstepping the boundaries and being a bit too harsh since Momoharu obviously already felt really bad and sorry that he came to check on the advisor. But I too understand where she was coming from. She just wanted more time with her husband and is worried about him. Still though, she could have been less harsh about it lol.
I guess she sees him as a 'delinquent' and someone who cost her husband his full salary, I was kinda surprised he wasn't more upset about that. The real culprit here is that other teacher .-. pushing for the disbandment of the club. AND where is the FULL police report?! Still no proven cause!!!!

Oookay, so I figured out White Album 2 has different characters from the first one and it’s only 13 episodes so I watched it... And it wasn’t as screwy as the first one.

Last edited:
Yes! It's been a while, but I remember disliking Ami so much the first time, then the second time I rewatched I kinda felt for her (I think lol).
Np! If you ever do end up watching Nodame Cantabile, let me know what you thought! I don't see many people mention it anywhere... and it's by far one of my favorite rom-coms (alongside Toradora lol) Nodame takes "airhead" to a different level and not in a cutesy way at all, plus there's a lot of character development!

I didn't like her at all at first. I loved watching Taiga being savage to her and slapping her in the face bahahaha. I remember feeling for her halfway through the show. I forget why but I remember understanding her actions. Can we also talk about Kitamura's laugh? Oh my god lol.

I will! It sounds really promising!! The art style is neat too. A nice change of pace!

Hopefully not in a bad way 😅

I'm not a fan of Neon Genesis either .-. I was kinda 'forced' into watching it because the person I was dating at the time LOVED it and... things didn't end well for us (I really had no interest in it to begin with... so I hardly remember anything that happened). I just searched Escaflowne and I feel like my young self would've really liked it.

I never watched Sailor Moon (if I did it was only a handful of episodes) however, I do remember watching Cardcaptor sakura, Tomorrow's Nadja, and Doraemon. (That's kinda cute, it's crazy how as children we see the world very differently and this changes depending on what we're exposed to)

I guess she sees him as a 'delinquent' and someone who cost her husband his full salary, I was kinda surprised he wasn't more upset about that. The real culprit here is that other teacher .-. pushing for the disbandment of the club. AND where is the FULL police report?! Still no proven cause!!!!
Yeah, I feel like they were being framed so the basketball team will be disbanded. I wonder if we will find out what really happened because I am interested to know 👀 I guess I will have to wait until next week's episode haha

I watched Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu/ Nakineko (A Whisker's Away) last night with my sister. Both my sister and I agree that it is a good anime. It resonates with us having both found our significant others who we can truly be ourselves with and it's tragic that both of us are currently grounded by the pandemic and unable to be with them. Some concepts relate to today's generations a little, we are easily influenced by what society perceives or what others think and fail to truly find strength in ourselves and for being who we really are, we quit too easily at times because of the fear of not being able to live up to expectations and often times feel alienated or detached from others :unsure:

Here's a summary about the anime if people are interested:
"Miyo Sasaki, nicknamed "Muge" meaning "infinitely mysterious," has a bright personality and is full of energy at school and at home. She is also in love with her classmate Kento Hinode. Miyo tries repeatedly to get Kento's attention, but he takes no notice of her. She realizes that the only way to get close to him is to transform into a cat, but at some point, the boundary between herself and the cat becomes ambiguous."

We haven't gotten the chance to watch Tenki no Ko (Weathering with You) yet and will probably watch it tonight after dinner on the projector :)

I watched Nakitai Watashi wa Neko wo Kaburu/ Nakineko (A Whisker's Away) last night with my sister. Both my sister and I agree that it is a good anime. It resonates with us having both found our significant others who we can truly be ourselves with and it's tragic that both of us are currently grounded by the pandemic and unable to be with them. Some concepts relate to today's generations a little, we are easily influenced by what society perceives or what others think and fail to truly find strength in ourselves and for being who we really are, we quit too easily at times because of the fear of not being able to live up to expectations and often times feel alienated or detached from others :unsure:

"Miyo Sasaki, nicknamed "Muge" meaning "infinitely mysterious," has a bright personality and is full of energy at school and at home. She is also in love with her classmate Kento Hinode. Miyo tries repeatedly to get Kento's attention, but he takes no notice of her. She realizes that the only way to get close to him is to transform into a cat, but at some point, the boundary between herself and the cat becomes ambiguous."

We haven't gotten the chance to watch Tenki no Ko (Weathering with You) yet and will probably watch it tonight after dinner on the projector :)
I loved Weathering with you! Will probably watch a Whisker's away soon so I'm excited to see it.

Just watched it today! I have to say, the whole "feeling left out" really resonated with me, sometimes it's really hard to realize how much people really care about you... because of that I've embraced "alone but not lonely". In life there are many time we might be or feel alone, but in reality we have to much people that support us and have us in their thoughts! I also see this film being on the "coming of age" side, since she had to realize she wasn't forsaken by those around her.

Can we also acknowledge the love Kinako has for her owner ?! 😭 She gave up so much, because she saw how much it pained her owner not knowing if her fur baby was ok.

I don't know if I've posted about this so whoops if I already did but has anyone watched the Nichijou english dub? Dang it's spectacular! Something I would have never expected.

Oookay, so I figured out White Album 2 has different characters from the first one and it’s only 13 episodes so I watched it... And it wasn’t as screwy as the first one.

Haha, this is actually good to know. I hated the first season of White Album, so I never ended up watching the second season. Being the completionist that I am though, it always kinda bothered me that I didn't bother watching season 2. If the second season's not quite as bad as the first, maybe I WILL end up watching it someday. ;)

Based on anime this season and continuation of Plunderer from last season:

- Watched Kaguya sama wa Kokurasetai! Tensai tachi no Renai Zunousen 2 episode 11, the episode focuses on Ishigami and I would totally like to have a friend like Ishigami, I'm glad he managed to get over the past with Ogino and move on! Thoroughly enjoyed this latest episode, rate 10/10 :)
- Watched Plunderer episode 24, I'm curious who Pele actually is considering he seems dangerous when he confronted Rihito. Excited to see Rihito take on Alcia to recover more original ballots (reminds me a little of Dragon Ball now) :LOL:

- Finish watching Kami no Tou and the plot twist with Rachel is just ... Interested in season 2 to see how much the kind-hearted Bam will change and what adventures await him during his climb up the tower :unsure:

Back