• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

The Secret World of Arrietty/Arrietty The Borrower is such a little gem! I love seeing the disproportion between 'the borrowers' and the environment outside of their living space. I try to watch this film every Spring, unfortunately due to recent event, I had completely forgotten about it.
Just look at this and how their proportions remain the same for them! Arrietty's proportions don't get lost (maybe except her fingers lol), and Sho doesn't look like a giant. The plot is decent and the art is just beautiful! 💚 Definitely worth a watch.
tumblr_ln7wh9rwfk1qehmh1o1_r1_500.gif
The director of this film also directed a part in "Modest Heroes", it's on Netflix and I've been meaning to give it a watch, the only thing that's been setting me back is the fact that the film tells three different short stories, it's not one plot told from beginning to end. I'll update if I do end up watching it.
Post automatically merged:

it wasnt working for a bit yesterday but its fine for me now
Yeah, it wasn’t working for me either yesterday, but it works fine now. I was able to update my profile.

I watched the first two episodes of Mob Psycho 100 last night. It’s definitely... interesting LOL. Will post a recap and my thoughts once I’ve watched around five episodes of it.
Finally started working for me today. I was able to see the home screen yesterday, but as soon as I clicked on a link or interacted with anything, I would get the error code 🤦‍♀️

I hope you stick with it Deku, it's definitely worth a watch BUT I'm most definitely biased because I really like the show! It's hilarious and you get your fair share of action as well! But I know it's not everyones cup of tea lol

Anyone see the new Re: Zero episode?
I also liked God of High School's first ep, especially as a Korean person hehe ^^;
if anyone wants to add me on MAL: my account is @/moonbox
No, I haven't seen it yet. I need to either rewatch the show or watch the directors cut that came out recently. I feel like I forgot who all the character were lol
GoHS definitely looks interesting I just have too much on my plate right now lol but I'll try and check it out!
Japan Sinks is very intense so far but... wow, is it harsh so it might not be for everyone but I think it’s worth mentioning if anyone wanted to give it a try.
Another one I'm interested in! Judging by the title, I don't know if I'm ready for the feels t.t

Last edited:
Watched the first five episodes of Mob Psycho 100!
—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
The world is full of mysterious spirits that can cause trouble, and it’s up to “psychics” to stop them using their ESP powers. Mob is a boy who lacks emotion, but was born as a powerful esper/psychic and is unrivaled in terms of psychic ability. Though he lacks in everything else in life, he’s a powerful psychic. Reigen is his boss who pretends to be psychic, but actually isn’t. Together, they go around dealing with cases that people have, which usually involve taking care of a spirit that is causing trouble. They take care of the first few spirits in the show. Then, Mob wants to fall in love with Tsubomi, the crush of his life, so he joins the body improvement club to do so. Mob somehow ends up at an underground religious organization called club (LOL), and the leader is a spirit disguised as a guy that wants to make people laugh. Mob, however, doesn’t laugh. Whenever Mob‘s emotional percentage gets to 100%, he releases a new power fueled by whichever emotion it is at his enemies. In Dimple, the leader of the religious organization’s case, it’s rage and Mob defeats him. From there, Salt middle school, which is the middle school Mob goes to, gets in a fight with Black Vinegar middle school. The guys from Salt middle school get completely wiped out by another esper by the name of Teruki. The body improvement club at first wants no part in fighting, but the guys from Black Vinegar middle school take Mob hostage. They are both tricked into fighting by the guy that got beat before from Salt middle school. Despite the body improvement club easily wiping out the Black Vinegar kids, Teruki shows up and wipes out the body improvement club. Mob is the only one left standing, and, realizing that Mob is another esper, Teruki challenges him to battle. Mob refuses to fight and shields himself while Teruki uses his psychic powers against him. Mob says that psychics aren’t supposed to use their powers against each other, which is what Reigen taught him (to which Dimple, now a reduced spirit, replies that the words have less meaning coming from Reigen). Mob gets knocked to the ground, so Dimple, who initially was going to use Mob like Reigen does, stands up for him and gets completely defeated by Teruki. Teruki goes berserk, unable to accept Mob’s ideals that psychics shouldn’t rely on their powers, and unleashes a hidden power from Mob that isn’t quite Mob either with an unknown percentage to its power. Teruki is flung into the sky along with a bunch of debris by it and says he’ll no longer use his powers against others. In the end Teruki loses the fight, but Mob unleashes his 100% emotional explosion and this time it’s sadness at having used his powers against another and being unable to resist himself. Mob’s older brother, Ritsu, secretly wants to be a psychic like Mob, even though he already has a lot going for him. I find this series very interesting. While there’s a story and action, there’s also a lot of humor which I appreciate. It seems like an anime that balances the line between being something with a full story like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, for example, and a humor-filled anime with no clear plot like Space Dandy. Also, I absolutely love Mob and Reigen’s relationship, and that Reigen’s life was colorless until Mob appeared. Reigen also has ”special moves” that mostly just consist of him doing things that others could do with a bit of effort and the right resources. Definitely looking forward to binging the next episodes!

Up next on Mob Psycho 100, episode six. Discord ~ To Become One ~

Mob, Mob, we want Mob! Mob, Mob, we want Mob! Yeah!!​

Just watched Sword Art Online Alicization - War of Underworld Part 2, starts on Episode 13, a continuation from part 1.

I'm getting so hype, can't wait to see the main characters join up in part 2!!! Interesting to see if they get any other unique skills like how Asada Shino got a unique skill that came with the Solus account when they make the transitions into the underworld :unsure: At the end of Alicization, I wonder if Alice will be able to go to the real world with Kirito? Please don't spoil it for me if there are manga readers on here! :LOL:

Just watched Sword Art Online Alicization - War of Underworld Part 2, starts on Episode 13, a continuation from part 1.

I'm getting so hype, can't wait to see the main characters join up in part 2!!! Interesting to see if they get any other unique skills like how Asada Shino got a unique skill that came with the Solus account when they make the transitions into the underworld :unsure: At the end of Alicization, I wonder if Alice will be able to go to the real world with Kirito? Please don't spoil it for me if there are manga readers on here! :LOL:

I also watched the latest episode of Sword Art Online Alicization yesterday. I'm looking forward to seeing how this story arc will play out. I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with SAO over the various seasons since they like to switch things up and do part of the season in one 'world' and the second part in another. I often end up liking half of the season and not the other half. But with Alicization, the story has followed a more consistent flow and it's held my interest throughout so far.

I also watched the latest episode of Sword Art Online Alicization yesterday. I'm looking forward to seeing how this story arc will play out. I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with SAO over the various seasons since they like to switch things up and do part of the season in one 'world' and the second part in another. I often end up liking half of the season and not the other half. But with Alicization, the story has followed a more consistent flow and it's held my interest throughout so far.

I remembered the first season was split into two different worlds and I can see why it would be disorderly in a way. Would have been better if they split the worlds into different seasons but I don't particularly mind the way it is :unsure: I'm intrigued to see what are Emperor Vesta's full skillsets since the head royal guard stood no chance against him :oops:

Last edited:
I remembered the first season was split into two different worlds and I can see why it would be disorderly in a way. Would have been better if they split the worlds into different seasons but I don't particularly mind the way it is :unsure: I'm intrigued to see what are Emperor Vesta's full skillsets since the head royal guard stood no chance against him :oops:

I don't think it would matter to me if they were different seasons. There are just some parts I couldn't get into because I didn't care for the world, the characters, or the story.

For instance, I really liked the first half of season 1, but the second half put me off a bit because of what they did to Asuna's character. I thought of her as independent, capable, and strong in the first half, but in the second half she became the stereotypical damsel in distress. She seemed to have given up and wasn't putting up hardly any fight. I also thought the storyline between Kirito and Leafa got a bit awkward.

In the second season, I just couldn't get interested in the Gun Gale part. I know a lot of people loved it, but I have no interest in FPS so it didn't draw me in. I was much happier when they returned to the fantasy RPG world of Alfheim and I preferred Zekken's storyline.

Luckily, I haven't had that issue since Alicization started. They created a world, characters, and a story that I care about and they've maintained it this time. So I guess I wouldn't mind them switching worlds so much as long as I liked the new world and what they do with it, but that's not always the case.

But back to the current season, I also can't wait to see how the final battle will go down. We've already seen some pretty impressive skills from the heroes who have showed up so far. Vesta is bound to be so overpowered.

Managed to squeeze three episodes of Anime in my day schedule today. Watched the second episode of Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha, wasn't sure if I wanted to keep this anime in my list after episode 1 but now I'll keep this. Great to see another OP main lead in Anos Voldigoad. There are sufficient fight scenes to cater to my interest (I like animes with fight scenes). Watched the first two episodes of The God of High School and looking good so far.

I stumbled upon an anime that caught my attention, Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 or Japan Sinks 2020. It has 10 episodes. Wondering if anyone on this thread have watched it and what do you think of it? :unsure: The rating is good though!

I’m rewatching Inuyasha for the second time. Amazing anime with a great soundtrack that mixes traditional Japanese instruments with Western instruments of all kind, a nod to the blending of both the modern period and Warring States period on Japan.
Follow a 15 year old Kagome who accidentally fell down her family’s well and ended up in the Warring States period. She meets a boy named Inuyasha, who is half demon half human. Together, they go on a mission to find all of the fragments of the Sacred Jewel, which was shattered but can be used for evil purposes. They make allies and fight with a variety of enemies in order to defeat Naraku (meaning hell in Japanese) and put an end to his power.
A lot of people tend to love Kikyo and hate Kagome. Kikyo and Inuyasha were once lovers but Naraku made the two turn against each other, with Kikyo dying of blood loss from Naraku shape shifting into Inuyasha, and Inuyasha being put under a spell for 50 years by Kikyo. I do feel sorry for Kikyo, but I don’t hate Kagome. Maybe I need to rewatch it to understand.
There are so many different side characters with different personalities that make it all interesting.
There might be a lot of plot holes, but I’d say it’s still a pretty good show worth watching. Netflix doesn’t have all of the episodes, but Viz does online.

I’m rewatching Inuyasha for the second time. Amazing anime with a great soundtrack that mixes traditional Japanese instruments with Western instruments of all kind, a nod to the blending of both the modern period and Warring States period on Japan.
Follow a 15 year old Kagome who accidentally fell down her family’s well and ended up in the Warring States period. She meets a boy named Inuyasha, who is half demon half human. Together, they go on a mission to find all of the fragments of the Sacred Jewel, which was shattered but can be used for evil purposes. They make allies and fight with a variety of enemies in order to defeat Naraku (meaning hell in Japanese) and put an end to his power.
A lot of people tend to love Kikyo and hate Kagome. Kikyo and Inuyasha were once lovers but Naraku made the two turn against each other, with Kikyo dying of blood loss from Naraku shape shifting into Inuyasha, and Inuyasha being put under a spell for 50 years by Kikyo. I do feel sorry for Kikyo, but I don’t hate Kagome. Maybe I need to rewatch it to understand.
There are so many different side characters with different personalities that make it all interesting.
There might be a lot of plot holes, but I’d say it’s still a pretty good show worth watching. Netflix doesn’t have all of the episodes, but Viz does online.
Are you planning to watch the sequel anime? I'm on the fence about it but I think I'm still gonna give it a shot to see how it is.

Are you planning to watch the sequel anime? I'm on the fence about it but I think I'm still gonna give it a shot to see how it is.
Yeah, I do definitely want to watch it. I’m a bit skeptical since Rumiko Takahashi isn’t actually designing the plot, only the characters. It would be weird to watch Inuyasha without Inuyasha and the gang, but I’ll still watch it just cause.

Fruit Basket Ep 14 or S2 Ep2
This won't be a synopsis of the episode but more of how this episode made me feel, specifically one particular scene with Tohru/Tooru (according to MAL, that's how they spell it) and her Grandfather.
On a side note, the art in the new ED is STUNNING! I wonder if I can find them and use them as wallpapers :unsure:

I'll be the first to admit that I am very in-tune with my emotions, this could make me seem like a crybaby, hyperemotional or just extremely sensitive, but in reality I just don't mind showing my emotions even if it's ugly crying, now, how does this relate to Fruit Basket? Well, in this particular episode Tohru gets a call from her aunt (if you remember, she doesn't have the best relationship with her dads side of the family), she calls to inform Tohru that her Ojīchan (Grandpa) has pulled his back and has been in bed rest since. Tohru manages to go visit her Ojīchan and while they're talking, he begins to think about his son (Tohru's dad) and Kyoko (Tohru's mom). During this time he then proceeds to tell Tohru that he misses them and wishes/wants to see them.... this broke my heart for several reasons, he misses his son and daughter-in-law and wishes to be reunited with them, it almost seemed like he was a) giving up or b) ready to accept death; this situation weights heavily on Tohru, since her Ojīchan seems to be her last living relative whom she loves dearly and "selfishly" doesn't want to let him go.

This episode hit really close to home for me... My grandmother was bedridden for a few years before passing and I could see her suffering whenever she got changed or someone bathed her, she had Alzheimer's so even if it was her family doing it, to her, we were stranger. Who wouldn't suffer when strangers are doing all these things to you?! My Uncle had a hard time accepting her suffering and just wanted her to stay alive as long as possible, I though this was incredibly selfish because her quality of life was so poor, she wasn't living, she was being kept alive... one day I decided to say my goodbyes, I let her know that I loved her and that it was ok for her to move on, she didn't need to continue suffering in the body that had given up on her a long time ago. Of course saying goodbye is something incredibly hard to do and accept, but it's because I love her, that I didn't want to see her suffer any longer, even if that meant I wouldn't have any living grandparents. So, those brief inner struggles Tohru showed in the show are quite relatable and made me cry... a lot... such a short scene packed with so much emotion, at least for me it was.

This is the new beautiful ed

I was on Netflix yesterday and noticed so many Ghibli movies were newly added!

Which are the top best that I should watch first? I'm thinking of Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.
I think the ones you mentioned are great, if I remember correctly form seeing your comments on other threads (I think it was the third part carrier?) you're located in Canada? I'm in the US and well you know, we get different content on Netflix, so I wouldn't know what to recommend because I don't know what options you have, if you have Arrietty available to you, I would definitely recommend it, it's not one of the "classics" but it's worth a watch!

Last edited:

Which are the top best that I should watch first? I'm thinking of Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.
Ah I watched all the Ghibli films when they came out on Netflix too! If you haven't already binge watched most of them like I did, Howl's moving castle is definitely a great movie and seems to be the overall favourite from what I can see (I think). For me personally, I started with kiki's delivery service, and while it's not a very plot heavy film, it's quite laid back and easy to watch. If you're into older movies aswell, the castle in the sky is one of my top 3 favourites (and yes it's totally different than Howl's moving castle even though they sound similar haha).

i am now under 100 episodes away from being caught up on one piece, what a journey it has been, i never planned to watch it at all (unless there was a pandemic (or apocalypse) which did end up happening lol) im debating continuing on from the manga once i reach the latest episode since the pacing in the anime isnt really good at all, looking forward to getting to the wano arc though :)

Last edited:

Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service are definitely good starts. My top 3 favourites are My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke & Spirited Away (Netflix have all three). I've watched majority of the Studio Ghibli's animes and even the sub-par ones are still decent to watch so you can't really go wrong with whichever one you watch :) I've yet to watch Heisei Tanuki Gassen Ponpoko or Pom Poko (Netflix has this anime too), I like how it features Tanuki or Japanese raccoon dog!

Pom Poko.jpg

Pushed out of their forests by human development, the wild tanuki of Tama Hills fight back with their shape-shifting powers - if they can get it right.

Look at this adorable Tanuki :LOL:

Tanuki.jpg

My top three are probably Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko, and Princess Mononoke, but they are not the most popular. I tend to prefer the sad stories or the ones focused on the environmental impact of humans. Pom Poko is both. :cry:

You really can't go wrong with any of the films, though. I've watched a bunch of them and have yet to find one that I don't like. Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle always receive a lot of praise. But I would suggest just starting with the ones that have write-ups or images that capture your interest.

Back