• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

I was on Netflix yesterday and noticed so many Ghibli movies were newly added!

Which are the top best that I should watch first? I'm thinking of Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.
im a HUUUGEEEE ghibli fan omgogmogm i watched legit all the films 💗 and i made my entire ac island ghibli themed lolll 🥺😗
u should watch spirited away, howls moving castle, and princess mononoke for SUREEE

So I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night! Something light for my first and it was super cute and relaxing to watch! Now I know what everyone's saying when they praise Ghibli animation! It's so unique and it's clear that loads of detail and effort went into it! Especially the backgrounds, wow! Even people in the background were detailed! It was truly eye candy.

When the old ladies baked Kiki a cake I teared up like I am doomed when I watch actual heartwarming or sad Ghibli movies looooool.

So I watched Kiki's Delivery Service last night! Something light for my first and it was super cute and relaxing to watch! Now I know what everyone's saying when they praise Ghibli animation! It's so unique and it's clear that loads of detail and effort went into it! Especially the backgrounds, wow! Even people in the background were detailed! It was truly eye candy.

When the old ladies baked Kiki a cake I teared up like I am doomed when I watch actual heartwarming or sad Ghibli movies looooool.
I watched Kiki’s Delivery Service a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed it! Kiki seemed like a real little girl (although she was a witch) who is growing up. I’m kind of sad that she couldn‘t talk to Jiji anymore, but it shows how much Kiki matured throughout the movie.

I watched Kiki’s Delivery Service a couple of weeks ago and I enjoyed it! Kiki seemed like a real little girl (although she was a witch) who is growing up. I’m kind of sad that she couldn‘t talk to Jiji anymore, but it shows how much Kiki matured throughout the movie.
Yeah! I thought that was a very good way of showing that character growth! It kinda hurt but it was good for her to have actual friends.

This movie was also my first take on ghibli
Cant describe how much i love it

My top three are probably Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko, and Princess Mononoke, but they are not the most popular. I tend to prefer the sad stories or the ones focused on the environmental impact of humans. Pom Poko is both. :cry:

You really can't go wrong with any of the films, though. I've watched a bunch of them and have yet to find one that I don't like. Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle always receive a lot of praise. But I would suggest just starting with the ones that have write-ups or images that capture your interest.

I just watched Pom Poko and I can see why it made it to your top three!!! So heartfelt, all the urban developments have driven animals to extinction because of lack of habitats. Not all animals can transform like Tanukis. The animals have no way to comprehend what is happening to their surroundings and even if humans built parks to coexist with animals, it is just not the same as a wild forest abundant with foods for all the wild critters. One sentence in the anime hit me the hardest: 'we thought the humans were animals like us, but they are not' :cry: Animals' livelihoods depend on the eco-system around them while humans play god with nature. Definitely will recommend more people to watch Pom Poko and Princess Mononoke to have them appreciate nature more than we actually do :unsure:

Just finished If Her Flag Breaks; I was not expecting it to be as good as it turned out to be, and I was very pleasantly surprised by it! And the ending was epic!
I'd been having trouble picking something to watch, recently, but it looks like this was just what the doctor ordered! 🏆

So dunno if this will count since it started off as a nintendo game but ACE ATTORNEY YA'LL at least two of my fictional crushes are in that series LOL
i LOVE ace attorney oh my god, i played the trilogy recently. ive yet to see the anime but the games were just *chefs kiss*
has anybody been watching deca dence? and whats ur opinion on episode 2? imo, this could either be amazing or a disaster lol.

man i just finished lucky star, it was so good. probably my favourite slice of life now. sad that we most likely wont get a s2, it was really fun to watch.

Just finished If Her Flag Breaks; I was not expecting it to be as good as it turned out to be, and I was very pleasantly surprised by it! And the ending was epic!
I'd been having trouble picking something to watch, recently, but it looks like this was just what the doctor ordered! 🏆
I also binge watched my way through If Her Flag Breaks on Crunchyroll about a month ago, it definitely was a suprisingly good anime. Sure, was it a masterpiece, no. I did really start to get into the whole flag system though and it ended up working quite well and leading to some funny moments in the anime. It was also a very easy to watch anime (as you can see by the fact that I binged the whole thing in one go haha) with a plot that wasn't actually that bad, at least compared to most basic harem + OP main character anime's out there right now. Glad to see they actually managed to tie up the story nicely at the end there in one season as well, instead of dragging out the story.

I could finally convince my niece to try it, so now I'm rewatching Digimon Adventure again. It'll never not be my favorite anime. But I am surprised that the two seasons have over 100 episodes combined. I thought I remembered every episode, but it's just so much content.

Japan Sinks is very intense so far but... wow, is it harsh so it might not be for everyone but I think it’s worth mentioning if anyone wanted to give it a try.

I stumbled upon an anime that caught my attention, Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 or Japan Sinks 2020. It has 10 episodes. Wondering if anyone on this thread have watched it and what do you think of it? :unsure: The rating is good though!

@Darby I've just noticed that you mentioned about Nihon Chinbotsu 2020 or Japan Sinks 2020. I've watched the first two episodes and the ending of the second episode is just devastating! :oops:

To other people on this thread, you can watch Japan Sinks 2020 on Netflix. It is a series with each episode being 25 minutes long with credits. Summary on Netflix: After catastrophic earthquakes devastate Japan, one family's resolve is tested on a journey of survival through the sinking archipelago.

It's basically a disaster movie but produced in an animation setting. Definitely worth a watch if you can deal with disaster movie! :)

A long time ago when I used to watch anime, I watched Ronin Warriors, Dragon Ball, The Littl' Bits, Speed Racer, if that counts, Astro Boy, The Big O, and some others I can't remember at the moment. I watched Akira, Princess Mononoke, and Ninja Scroll.

The only reason I've been hesitant about watching Japan Sinks: 2020 is because Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 holds a special place in my heart, I really like that show and how heartfelt the ending is and after watching the trailer for JS: 2020 it seems like it's a copy and paste with the added bonus of Japan sinking... (I know it's based of a Novel, but all I saw in the trailer was another version of TM 8.0).

To those of you who have watched JS: 2020 do you think they're basically the same thing? Or are they different enough that it's worth a watch? (@Mayor Ng @Darby I'm looking at y'all lol)

The only reason I've been hesitant about watching Japan Sinks: 2020 is because Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 holds a special place in my heart, I really like that show and how heartfelt the ending is and after watching the trailer for JS: 2020 it seems like it's a copy and paste with the added bonus of Japan sinking... (I know it's based of a Novel, but all I saw in the trailer was another version of TM 8.0).

To those of you who have watched JS: 2020 do you think they're basically the same thing? Or are they different enough that it's worth a watch? (@Mayor Ng @Darby I'm looking at y'all lol)

I haven't watched Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 but I will watch it after Japan Sinks 2020 and let you know whether it is similar or not :unsure:

I was on Netflix yesterday and noticed so many Ghibli movies were newly added!

Which are the top best that I should watch first? I'm thinking of Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.
Without spoiling anything, Grave of the Fireflies is very sad. Have to be in the mood for that. I was told to avoid Tales of Earthsea. Also there are different versions of some like Nausica of the Valley of the Wind, different dub entirely, one of them might be longer. Might be thinking of a different show.

On an unrelated note, I want to see something old called Soul Hunter. No idea if it's good.

I've binge watch both Japan Sinks 2020 and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0! Here's an update on your questions @Xeleron : the two anime are distinctively different from each other and should not be lumped together and different enough that it's worth to watch.

Here's my take on Japan Sinks 2020: It's an anime focused on tragedy. It's like a roller coaster ride of tragedy after tragedy, not much emphasis on the relationships between the characters. Some scenes are gruesome, definitely PG13. Feels more like a Hollywood-style Japanese series turned anime. Best not to be too invested in the characters

Difference: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 gives you hope while Japan Sinks 2020 extinguishes any hope. After a couple of episodes in, you can see where the trend is going. The quality of the anime is definitely better than Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 considering there's more than 5 years of technological advancements between the two.

Things I liked about Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: I liked the emphasis on the relationships between the characters, such as relationship buildings, life lessons, etc. It also tug on the emotional string with some heartfelt moments especially the last three episodes, they were really hard to watch.

Verdict: Japan Sinks 2020 (7.5/10) and Tokyo Magnitude (9/10) :unsure:

Well, guess I’ll watch Tokyo Magnitude 8 then. I’ve been watching so much anime lately my head just swirls with it but i dropped The Reflected, absolutely loved Big Order, found the opening song for No Guns Life highly enjoyable and am utterly confused about Deca Dence after the second episode just to name a few things swirling around.

Back