• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

Today I watched the Seven Deadly Sins movie: Prisoners of the Sky. I'm really late watching it as it took place long before the season I'm currently watching, but since it doesn't really affect the main plotline it didn't matter. I thought it was pretty decent and I loved seeing Hawk and even Hawk's momma getting some attention since they've been pretty absent from the current season.

I rewatched the first episode of Made and Abyss with someone. As great as the art and music is, I couldn’t get invested in the story. This time however, I loved every second. Whether or not the company affected my experience is beyond me.

I have a question for anyone who has watched sword art online: alicization!!
So, I've watched the 1st season and the gun gale online season a while back and I'm thinking about watching the alicization series now since sao holds a special place in my heart. Is it any good and would you recommend it?
I've only watched the openings and endings so far and they're what got me thinking about sao in the first place! They're so awesome!! 🥰

So, I've watched the 1st season and the gun gale online season a while back and I'm thinking about watching the alicization series now since sao holds a special place in my heart. Is it any good and would you recommend it?
I've only watched the openings and endings so far and they're what got me thinking about sao in the first place! They're so awesome!! 🥰

The Alicization seasons seem a lot... darker than the previous seasons? Like, you almost forget you're watching SAO. I haven't watched the new episodes that just came out this season, but the previous Alicization episodes had a fair bit of violence and suggestive themes. I'm not saying there was none of that in the previous seasons, but for the most part the violence was more "fantasy" in nature so seeing more human violence kinda caught me off guard. I personally enjoyed the first part of War of the Underworld more than the very first Alicization season, so if you find you're not enjoying it at first, you can try to stick it out until War of the Underworld. I would definitely watch SAO II and the Ordinal Scale movie first though if you haven't already. You might as well. Hope that helps! :)

The Alicization seasons seem a lot... darker than the previous seasons? Like, you almost forget you're watching SAO. I haven't watched the new episodes that just came out this season, but the previous Alicization episodes had a fair bit of violence and suggestive themes. I'm not saying there was none of that in the previous seasons, but for the most part the violence was more "fantasy" in nature so seeing more human violence kinda caught me off guard. I personally enjoyed the first part of War of the Underworld more than the very first Alicization season, so if you find you're not enjoying it at first, you can try to stick it out until War of the Underworld. I would definitely watch SAO II and the Ordinal Scale movie first though if you haven't already. You might as well. Hope that helps! :)

Thank you so much for replying!! I'll give it a try then, right after I watch the Ordinal Scale movie 💗

I'm currently on the latest episode of the most recent season, Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld part 2. Alicization starts off pretty slow with a lot of emphasis on character development and getting to know the new characters in Underworld but it will start to pick up after the second part and eventually lead to war. It's distinctively different from the previous seasons and mostly focuses on Kirito as he explores Underworld with his new friends and the old characters from previous seasons will not make many appearances in Alicization but will have some degree of involvement in War of the Underworld.

I would recommend watching Sword Art Online The Movie: Ordinal Scale before SAO: Alicization but you can also watch it after. However, do watch it before SAO: Alicization - War of the Underworld part 1. Hope that helps a little :)

I'm currently on the latest episode of the most recent season, Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld part 2. Alicization starts off pretty slow with a lot of emphasis on character development and getting to know the new characters in Underworld but it will start to pick up after the second part and eventually lead to war. It's distinctively different from the previous seasons and mostly focuses on Kirito as he explores Underworld with his new friends and the old characters from previous seasons will not make many appearances in Alicization but will have some degree of involvement in War of the Underworld.

I would recommend watching Sword Art Online The Movie: Ordinal Scale before SAO: Alicization but you can also watch it after. However, do watch it before SAO: Alicization - War of the Underworld part 1. Hope that helps a little :)

Thank you so much for your reply!!
I've just watched the ordinal scale movie and oh god I have so many feelings about this movie that I don't think I can even put them into words. It was absolutely wonderful, I really forgot how much comfort sao brings me. Now that I got this invested in this again, I have to watch Alicization, so I'm glad you guys are saying that it's good 🥺 💗 💞

First of all, I know this movie is like 4 years old now and it's basic, BUT LET ME HAVE MY MOMENT PLEASE

As the president of the Kirito x Asuna club, I must say that I've been fed SO WELL, I cried SO MUCH especially at the star watching scene at the end where they basically get engaged. And the last sao boss fight?? In their sao clothes?? Do I have to say anything more???

Even tho it always follows the "the new technology is bad and Kirito saves everyone at the end" storyline, it's something that I enjoy lots. I really really like when characters get badass and sao is great at that. Especially in the boss fights!!
It was wonderfully animated and I think it did the story justice. The style was changed (since the 2nd season) in a way that did not affect the general feel of sao and I'm so glad that it didn't. The movie genuinely kept me at the edge of my seat most of the time, especially whenever Eiji was on the screen, because he always felt like a threat. And the whole thing about losing memories?? I cried so much when Asuna lost hers. If they really made her forget all about Kirito, it'd be on sight. I really wouldn't be able to live through that, so I'm glad they didn't do that to my heart. It'd genuinely shatter into million pieces and I'd have to pick them all up as always!!

I'm so hyped for Alicization now aaaaaaa ☺

I finished watching Aggretsuko season 3. It's the only anime series that I've ever binge watched. 😅

I liked it but not as much as season 2. I think in order of preference for the seasons it'd go 2 > 1 > 3 (not counting the Christmas special or the original shorts).

No plot spoilers just my general thoughts but don't read if you want to be 100% blind going in:

It doesn't have any songs that are as good as the ones from season 2 and really hardly has any songs at all. I didn't realize how much I liked having them until watching this one. Also, the plot mostly focuses on one story line with Aggretsuko outside of work. It's more linear leading up to the ending instead of having Retsuko go through different changes and realizations. There's also less of the side characters from the previous seasons since Retsuko is off doing her own thing and that's what the focus is on, although there is a subplot with one of the other characters that ties in. I can't find the words but it felt a bit empty... That being said I did still enjoy it! It's just a bit different from the previous seasons which I prefer slightly more.
I just finished watching season 3 of Aggretsuko and I agree with your assessment. I did still enjoy the season but it was least favorite because of how much it deviated from the previous seasons and the fact that it barely included most of the other characters we have come to know and love. Season 3 also started to take a darker turn towards the end, but that was actually one of the highlights of the season for me because it drew me back into the show when my interest was starting to wane.

The first season will probably always be my favorite just because I identified with it the most.

Watched Koutetsujou no Kabaneri: Unato Kessen, the sequel of Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. Did not know there was a sequel but glad I found out :) The whole sequel consists of 3 episodes.

Glad to see Mumei still kicking butt out there against the Kabane. Unfortunately, people still fear the Kabaneri as much as they fear the Kabane. Good to see the relationship between Mumei and Ikoma is developing well. The ending at the end between the two is just really romantic. Way to go, Mumei! The fight scene between Mumei and Kageyuki is by far the highlight for me. The Japanese dance in the end credits for the last episode is mesmerizingly beautiful!

My DVD set arrived for Dragon Ball Z Kai complete set recently so I finally began to pick up where I left off again and got to the arc with the androids. Man it's such an amazing anime... I was really late getting into Dragon Ball in my life and can't get enough of Kai.

ive watched 5 episodes of bakemonogatari and im loving it so far, the art, animation and music is great and i really like the characters. mayois arc almost made me cry ;-;. its a bit confusing at first but as u go on it makes more sense.

Watched episodes fifteen through nineteen of Fire Force!

Shinra, Arthur, and Sister Iris were tasked with recruiting a man by the name of Vulcan into the Special Fire Force unit 8. While there they met his friends Lisa and Yu, who helped him at his shop. After initially being denied by Vulcan, Vulcan shared his dream with Shinra, which is to build something that can’t break and bring all the animals on the planet back to life. Shinra and everyone else were confronted by the Knights of The Ashen Flame. Dr. Giovanni from Special Fire Force unit 3 turned out to be a traitor, and got the jump on Shinra in the forest. Meanwhile, Arthur faced Flail and Mirage in battle while trying to protect Vulcan. Captain Hibana was there to set Shinra free, and he got the jump on Dr. Giovanni this time as Yu had been shot and Vulcan was in danger. Dr. Giovanni was looking for the key to Amaterasu, the energy source of the Tokyo Empire, and found it. Lisa turned out to be a traitor as well. Shinra then came into contact with Sho, his brother, who was disgusted by Shinra. Arthur came rushing in to try and save Shinra and almost died, but avoided Sho’s blade to only take a minor graze. Vulcan came by in a vehicle and grabbed Shinra and Arthur. Sho pursued them, wanting to get Shinra back, but Joker showed up and intervened, using his abilities to let Shinra and the others escape. Joker met up with Viktor Licht afterwards for a progress report. From there, Shinra and Arthur needed to get stronger, so Captain Shinmon and Viktor Licht came up with a way for Shinra to compress his flames for greater burst power and speed. Meanwhile, Captain Shinmon also trained Arthur on fundamentals with his plasma sword, Excalibur. Once they were ready, Special Fire Force unit 8 went to the Nether, a place underground from Tokyo where trains used to run. This was the so-called Evangelist’s hideout. The group was immediately separated by Yona and Mirage of the Knights of The Ashen Flame after entering. Sister Iris and Tamaki faced Assault “The Slaughterer” in battle and won, and Maki faced Flail in battle and won using her new gear and pyrokinesis combination. Definitely looking forward to binging the next episodes and finishing season one of Fire Force!

Up next on Fire Force, episode twenty. Wearing His Pride.

We’ll keep on marching right until our fire’s burning out! 🔥

RIP:general wang Qi/ou ki :cry:
Post automatically merged:

RIP:general wang Qi/ou ki :cry:
Seriously that fight at the end of battle of bayou arc was just awesome, i dare say it was better than the all might vs all for one battle.

Attachments

• E68D04B9-A0D9-4F79-860E-ED80765F37DE.jpeg
    E68D04B9-A0D9-4F79-860E-ED80765F37DE.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Watched Appare-Ranman, a spring 2020 anime and it was a feast!

Here's a plot summary:
"During the back-end of the 19th century, the genius but socially awkward engineer Sorano Appare and the wise yet cowardly samurai Isshiki Kosame find themselves drifting in the sea between Japan and America. With no money, the duo decides to enter the Trans-America Wild Race to win the prize money so they can get home. The two encounter rivals, bandits, and challenges in the wilderness as they race through America, from the starting line in Los Angeles to the finish line in New York, in the steam-powered car they built."

It's a historical anime set in America during the Wild West period. Haven't really watched any racing anime since Initial D. It doesn't have a lot of racing scenes but the anime is based on a race through America so you would still see some. The character development and the overall feel of the anime are what makes it good imo :unsure: I would give it a 7/10 rating, would recommend. Looking forward to Season 2 :)

I just finished watching Inuyasha after a long binge. I remember seeing his image on most things related to anime, and I decided to give it a watch after hearing about a sequel.

My take: It's ok. Well worth giving it a watch.

The negatives:
The "ending" (though not technically an ending) was not very satisfying - I was expecting they'd at least defeat Naraku and his incarcerations, not really looking forward to seeing them again for an entire other season.

A lot of repetitive elements like: the use of barriers, Kagome getting kidnapped or needing rescue every 2 episodes, Kagome's jealousy of Kikyo, ect. I felt like skipping a couple of episodes, but the comedy was worth it, though I can't see myself rewatching the series just for the comedy.

Positives:
The comedy 😄
my favorite parts that made me laugh the hardest were:
and when Shippo learns the Heart Scar.

Overall, I can't say Inuyasha is for everyone, but I found it enjoyable, despite the negatives, I recommend giving it a try.

Currently watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood because of someone's review on it.

Black Clover S3E41

An all new episode of Black Clover, episode 143, released last week!

Gauche found out that Marie and Nero/Secre had been abducted and immediately got mad at Damnatio Kira. Lord Damnatio said he had nothing to do with it, however, and after revealing his memories through Marx, he was proven innocent. Captain Yami, Finral, Noelle, Gauche, Captain Nozel, and Gordon then approached the town that had been destroyed and where Dazu of the Devil Banishers was from. There, Captain Yami and Finral ran into the woman Dazu. Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
Also watched episodes twenty through twenty four of Fire Force and finished season one!

Lieutenant Hinawa ran into Arrow of The Knights of The Ashen Flame and engaged her in battle. At first, it seemed like Arrow had the advantage, but Lieutenant Hinawa took out an even bigger type of gun and blasted away. Resolving not to die, he took out Arrow. Yona and Mirage were there, however, ready to finish off Lieutenant Hinawa. Lieutenant Hinawa shot one more blast at the ceiling, which made Arthur Boyle the Knight King drop in from above to help out. Mirage was defeated, and Yona ran away. Meanwhile, Captain Obi and Vulcan engaged Dr. Giovanni and Lisa the Feeler in battle. Both Vulcan and Captain Obi tried to get through to Lisa, and thanks to a strategy by Captain Obi involving fire extinguishers, Vulcan rescued Lisa. Dr. Giovanni then took Lisa back and threatened to kill her if Vulcan didn’t shoot Captain Obi. He revealed a bit about the Evangelist and their plans. Vulcan shot Captain Obi after struggling not to, but it turns out Captain Obi was fine thanks to some good engineering on Vulcan’s part. Dr. Giovanni let them have Lisa, saying he accomplished his mission to unite Shinra and Sho. Then he left. Shinra finally reunited with his brother, Sho, but it wasn’t a friendly reunion. Viktor Licht was there too. Sho immediately engaged Shinra in battle, saying that the thought of Shinra being his brother disgusted him. Shinra tried to keep up, but Sho could freeze time using his Adolla Burst, which could expand and cool the universe. Shinra then found the ability to go faster than the speed of light using his own Adolla Burst, and the two engaged in fierce battle while Viktor Licht broke everything down science-wise. Shinra kept forming Adolla Links with Sho to link with the Evangelist as well, showing Sho memories of when they were younger. In the end Shinra said he was sorry for leaving Sho in the dark for so long. Unfortunately, Shinra had used his Adolla Burst recklessly and was stabbed by Sho’s sword. This is when Haumea, who works for the Evangelist, showed up and said she would take Shinra. The rest of Special Fire Force unit 8 showed up, however, and fought her off while also retrieving Shinra. Arthur’s plasma sword, Excalibur, was especially useful against Haumea. Haumea took Sho away and Shinra and the others got out of the Nether as it collapsed. Shinra was rushed to the hospital at Special Fire Force unit 6. There, he was treated and made a full recovery. When he did, he dueled Captain Burns of Special Fire Force unit 1 in battle, trying to uncover the truth about everything. He managed to land a hit on Captain Burns, so Captain Burns told him everything. About how Sho was the source of the fire twelve years ago that turned his mother into a demon Infernal, and how the Evangelist and their followers had been active at the time and caused it. Haumea and Charon were there to represent them. Captain Burns had essentially lied to Shinra because Shinra wasn’t strong enough at the time to get his brother back. After learning this, Shinra became a bit depressed, but Special Fire Force unit 8 threw a party for his discharge from the hospital. Shinra went back to being his old self and competing with Arthur. The 8th’s new goal would be to find the Evangelist and their followers, and defeat them. As usual, Captain Obi made a speech while everyone there from the various companies were doing their own thing and causing a ruckus. Shinra is now determined to get his brother Sho back and uncover the truth about the Evangelist. Definitely looking forward to binging season two of Fire Force and catching up to where the show is at now!

Up next on Fire Force, season two episode one. A Fire Soldier’s Fight.

We’ll keep on marching right until our fire’s burning out! 🔥

My S/O and I finished watching season 1 of Cells at Work! on Netflix this morning after starting the series last night near midnight (lol). I've always been fascinated by biology and the human body, and the creators clearly put a lot of thought into how they built out the world. My heart is so full after seeing the platelets. 😊🥰 I'm very much looking forward to season 2 airing in January!

Back