• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

I've watched the first episodes for some of the Fall 2020 new animes and here are my preliminary verdicts:

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka III - will keep this (priority list) :giggle:
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020) - psychological anime, a little dark from the first episode itself, might keep, having mixed feelings. :oops:
Jujutsu Kaisen (TV) - this horror/ supernatural anime looks interesting, will keep. :)
Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko - comedic, will keep. :LOL:
King's Raid: Ishi wo Tsugumono-tachi - rather generic but worth watching another episode or two before I give my verdict. :unsure:
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen - been waiting forever for this, definitely keep (priority list). :love:
Majo no Tabitabi - the adventure of a female genius witch, hmmm, will watch another episode or two before I give my verdict. :unsure:
Tonikaku Kawaii - highly comedic and romantic, will keep. :ROFLMAO:
Yuukoku no Moriarty - anime about Moriarty from Sherlock Holmes (?), definitely keep (priority list). :geek:

Continuations:
Appare-Ranman
Enen no Shouboutai: Ni no Shou

I have watched the first three episodes of Kimetsu no Yaiba (Demon Slayer) before I go in to work today.

Honestly, I have never been more focused on watching something in my life, I was able to sit still the whole time. I am really enjoying Kimetsu no Yaiba, I won't lie! It's such an interesting anime. I mainly started watching it because my friend and I wanted to go see the movie when I visit her in about two weeks.

I'm also going to continue watching a really old anime I picked up a few years back. It's called Yume-iro Pâtissière! It's from 2009, if I recall correctly. It's super cute, and I might just restart from the beginning, as I don't remember much of what happened! I couldn't find anywhere to watch it, until I found a new site that has it! ^w^

Finally watched Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Fine. I am over the moon and satisfied with how it ended! :love:

YES! Megumi Kato for the win. Throughout the series, I've grown to like Megumi. She stays true to herself and does not use underhanded means to distract Tomoya Aki. The confessions and the failed and make-up kisses are just superbly drawn and animated (y) I have to give respect to Utaha Kasumigaoka for being the mature one out of the other two heroines (other being Eriri Spencer Sawamura). Well written from the author, I understand and commend the conclusion that Megumi and Tomoya's relationship could work as shown in the anime. Stick around after the end credits because there will be more action afterwards, it's great to see more lovey-dovey moments between Megumi and Tomoya and a glimpse of their life as a married couple (it's not mentioned whether they got married in the anime though).

Note: stick around after the end credits because there will be more action afterwards :)

Almost finished with Dragon Ball Z Kai! I have 2 episodes left. I am ready to throw my wallet at the DVD set for Dragon Ball Super. Such an entertaining anime. I loved Vegeta before, but now he is definitely in my top favorite anime characters. So much character development and depth in him!

Black Clover S3E44

An all new episode of Black Clover, episode 146, released earlier this week!

The Devil Believers turned on and attacked Kabwe and the others. It turns out they were trying to gain the devil’s powers for themselves. They made off with Nero/Secre and Asta’s grimoire. After some investigating, Captain Yami and Lord Julius figured out that they were headed towards the Spade Kingdom, where the devil Megicula resides. Asta, Magna, and Noelle headed towards the strong magic region close to there and found a ton of people following the Devil Believers. Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!

I’ll be watching more Fire Force soon. : P​

Yesterday I finished the latest season of Seven Deadly Sins. It wasn't my favorite season, partly because of the way they kept going back and forth with the censorship, but the story seems to be getting close to wrapping up and I want to see how it ends. So I do still plan on watching the next season which I'm expecting to be the last.

Today I watched the first episode of Noblesse and I'm interested enough to continue watching more.

We didn't get a new episode of Re:Zero this week, which was disappointing. I looked it up and found out the second part of the season won't air until January 2021. 😭

Has anyone checked out the new Higurashi remake?

Do you mean Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020)? :unsure: I did not watch the original but from the first episode, I can tell it's really dark and the first scene itself was gory. Not much of the plot is given out yet except that the town that the MC is in is shady and the town residents look normal until they turn psychotic, would watch just to find out more about the plot but having mixed feelings about it at the moment. The anime style is not too modern and not too traditional, color is sufficient, the overall visual is decent IMO.

Yesterday I finished the latest season of Seven Deadly Sins. It wasn't my favorite season, partly because of the way they kept going back and forth with the censorship, but the story seems to be getting close to wrapping up and I want to see how it ends. So I do still plan on watching the next season which I'm expecting to be the last.

Today I watched the first episode of Noblesse and I'm interested enough to continue watching more.

We didn't get a new episode of Re:Zero this week, which was disappointing. I looked it up and found out the second part of the season won't air until January 2021. 😭

Yea, the first part of Re:Zero was completed last season and part 2 will be out the following season after this season but might be postponed depending on whether the studio can meet the deadline with the ongoing pandemic. *Cross fingers*

If you need a psychological anime for this season then try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020). I have a feeling it is going to be hit-or-miss, it'll either be really good or really bad :unsure: The first episode doesn't reveal too much except that things are not what it seems, add on with gory scenes and shady dialogues.

Has anyone checked out the new Higurashi remake?
I'm planning on checking it out this weekend. I thought the original was great. I'm not sure why they felt the need to do a remake, lol. I can't imagine this one will be as good, but we'll see. XD

season then try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020). I have a feeling it is going to be hit-or-miss, it'll either be really good or really bad :unsure: The first episode doesn't reveal too much except that things are not what it seems, add on with gory scenes and shady dialogues.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the remake, but I finally watched the original Higurashi earlier this year. If the remake is anything like the original, you're in for a wild ride.

Today I started watching Children of the Whales. I've never seen anybody mention it, but it popped up on Netflix and seemed like my kind of thing. It's only 12 episodes so no harm in giving it a chance. Based on the first episode, I can say that the world is very intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

@Corrie, @amye.miller & @LadyDestani,

Just a heads-up, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020) released this season is not a remake. It's a "sequel" to the past Higurashi series or variations. Since I've never watched any of the Higurashi series, I'll stop watching it until I'm all caught up. Before episode 2 aired, it was marketed as a remake of the original anime series but after episode 2, it was revealed that the anime was not actually a direct remake according to Funimation.

Funimation acquired the streaming rights for North American and the British Isles, AnimeLab in Australia, and New Zealand, and YouTube channel Ani-One in Southeast Asia (streamed by Medialink).

Have a good day :)

Last edited:
Currently rewatching Hunter x Hunter (2011) and I'm already at the 5th arch of the show (Chimera Ant Arch)... I've heard this arch isn't as popular as the other 4 and now that I'm rewatching, I can definitely understand why some people would feel like that (more gore and gruesome than the previous archs). Personally, I have no issue with it, since I've seen the original and one of my favorite scenes got censored so hard on the remake, so I'm glad to see they took a step back to show a bit more of what really happens when you're fighting for survival. I kinda don't wan't this arch to end since the 'Election Arch' is up next and I'm not looking forward to it (honestly, I'm only looking forward to seeing a new Zoldyck member introduced in this arch)... but who knows, I might enjoy it the second time around 🤔
I'm also going to continue watching a really old anime I picked up a few years back. It's called Yume-iro Pâtissière! It's from 2009, if I recall correctly. It's super cute, and I might just restart from the beginning, as I don't remember much of what happened! I couldn't find anywhere to watch it, until I found a new site that has it! ^w^
Yumeiro Patissiere is a great show lol I remember watching it a while back and it's so much more than a "cutesy pastry" show, however, Yumeiro Parissiere SP Professional lacks a lot of the mystery and excitement from the first season, it's a more streamline comedy and "drama" than the original but I still enjoyed watching it nonetheless. Hopefully you'll enjoy watching it as much now, as you once did! Really glad to see someone mention a show I've never really seen anyone talk about before!

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season- this was brilliant. i loved re zero season 1 and season 2 part 1 did not disappoint, definitely better than s1 and i cannot wait for part 2 aaaa. ive also started collecting the light novels lmao. 9/10

The God of High School- this anime was bad. really bad. watching it was torture why did i do this to myself. it was fine at the beginning but oh boy did it really drop off. the pacing was awful, characters were bland (especially jin mori who got random powerups when it was convenient) and the "plot" was a complete and utter mess and i had no idea what was going on. if this gets a season 2, i most likely will not be watching it. at least tower of god earlier this year, despite not being the best adaptation, had a story interesting enough to make me want to check out the manwha. but i probably wont be touching anything goh related anytime soon. also i hope crunchyroll never produce an anime again. 3/10

Burn the Witch- honestly this anime was really enjoyable, and im glad i watched it. i loved the dynamic between the two main characters, and the world was really interesting. also the soundtrack and animation were great, the ed slaps so hard. 7/10

Jujutsu Kaisen (TV)- enjoying this a lot so far! animation has been good, with some great fight choreography. the story and characters both seem interesting and i love the soundtrack. from the 2 eps that are out, 7/10

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the remake, but I finally watched the original Higurashi earlier this year. If the remake is anything like the original, you're in for a wild ride.

Today I started watching Children of the Whales. I've never seen anybody mention it, but it popped up on Netflix and seemed like my kind of thing. It's only 12 episodes so no harm in giving it a chance. Based on the first episode, I can say that the world is very intriguing and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes.

I watched Children of the Whales a few years back. I found the art to be really beautiful and the story to be quite compelling. I was hoping they would release a second season at some point, but I guess not, considering how much time has passed. I'd like to read the manga someday!

@Corrie, @amye.miller & @LadyDestani,

Just a heads-up, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020) released this season is not a remake. It's a "sequel" to the past Higurashi series or variations. Since I've never watched any of the Higurashi series, I'll stop watching it until I'm all caught up. Before episode 2 aired, it was marketed as a remake of the original anime series but after episode 2, it was revealed that the anime was not actually a direct remake according to Funimation.

Funimation acquired the streaming rights for North American and the British Isles, AnimeLab in Australia, and New Zealand, and YouTube channel Ani-One in Southeast Asia (streamed by Medialink).

Have a good day :)
Oh! Well that's good news! I was gonna not watch any more of it because I assumed it was a remake and I've already watched the show before. Woohoo!

I watched Children of the Whales a few years back. I found the art to be really beautiful and the story to be quite compelling. I was hoping they would release a second season at some point, but I guess not, considering how much time has passed. I'd like to read the manga someday!
I'd say with its debut on Netflix, along with the success of the series at the time, continued success of the manga, and its OVAs in 2018, there's some hope for that! We've recently seen a few remakes, reboots, and even an additional season of some shows that hadn't seen anything new in 5+ years.

Thank you and @LadyDestani for mentioning it. Had it on my watch list and didn't realize it was accessible on Netflix. Will have to put some time into that and the new fall season this weekend. 🥰

Back