• The Bell Tree Fair 2024's closing ceremony is finally here! Event results, TBTer drawings, collectible reveal, quiz answers, art, stories, raffles, and more. You can find the six-part thread in the Bulletin Board! Thank you, everyone, for making our TBT birthday celebration so special!

The Anime Thread

I'd say with its debut on Netflix, along with the success of the series at the time, continued success of the manga, and its OVAs in 2018, there's some hope for that! We've recently seen a few remakes, reboots, and even an additional season of some shows that hadn't seen anything new in 5+ years.

Thank you and @LadyDestani for mentioning it. Had it on my watch list and didn't realize it was accessible on Netflix. Will have to put some time into that and the new fall season this weekend. 🥰

That's very true! I'll keep my fingers crossed. ;) Hope you enjoy watching it this weekend!

@Corrie, @amye.miller & @LadyDestani,

Just a heads-up, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (2020) released this season is not a remake. It's a "sequel" to the past Higurashi series or variations. Since I've never watched any of the Higurashi series, I'll stop watching it until I'm all caught up. Before episode 2 aired, it was marketed as a remake of the original anime series but after episode 2, it was revealed that the anime was not actually a direct remake according to Funimation.

Funimation acquired the streaming rights for North American and the British Isles, AnimeLab in Australia, and New Zealand, and YouTube channel Ani-One in Southeast Asia (streamed by Medialink).

Have a good day :)
I didn't know that. Everything that I had read called it a remake, but that was all before the season started airing. I don't have Funimation, but if it ever comes to any of the services I do have, I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks for the info!

Currently atm, I’m watching:
- Made in Abyss
- The Millionaire Detective Balance: Unlimited (I first saw it I thought it was gonna be some yaoi because of how the main characters looked but it’s actually really good JSONEIDND)
- Bee and Puppycat season 2 (This isn’t an “anime” but it was a collaboration with Japanese and Korean animation studio so...)
- Devilman Crybaby
- Serial Experiments Lain

Also Higurashi is back??? I haven’t heard that anime in years and I’m surprised it’s having a sequel. I liked the older art style because the new one seems too vibrant and colorful but I’m too scared to watch it again KSOWNSKKSJSNS

Iwa Kakeru: Got around to watching the first episode. It's very blatant fan service if you haven't seen the trailer.

First impression of characters, they aren't really likeable.
Sports accuracy it's fine. Safety is not so fine. There's some stuff I would have yelled at someone for doing in real life because it was not safe.
Some stuff I understood they skipped because of time but there's other parts of it doesn't make sense even with anime logic. I'll still watch it for a few more episodes but 2 of 5 stars for the first one.

High school is rich enough to have a lead wall and a bouldering area for a club that started two members. Three holds can cost $50 easily. The larger ones are in the 100s each.

There's like no explanation of safety like falling techniques.

They had a race where two people climbed the exact same route. Only it wasn't the exact same because the newbie did a move that would have been illegal in actual competition by grabbing the side of the wall. It's valid if there isn't black tape to mark it off but that solution would have been impossible for the other girl because there is literally no edge for her to grab.

Watched episodes six through ten of Fire Force season two!

Inca decided she wanted to go with Charon and the Evangelist’s men because it would be more dangerous. Shinra got punched again and couldn’t stop them. To find out more about the Evangelist and the Adolla Bursts, Shinra, Arthur, Tamaki, Ogun, Juggernaut, Viktor Licht, and Lieutenant Pan were sent on a mission into the Chinese Peninsula of Fire Force’s world. While there they met Juggernaut’s family, which grows potatoes. They went further in towards the spatial rift and met a mole that can talk, Scop, and a crow that can talk as well. Scop showed them to the oasis where the Tabernacle resides, an energy source like Amaterasu that helps keep a forest around it alive. While there they got attacked by Infernals under the command of a Demon Infernal, Tempe. Lieutenant Pan, Viktor Licht, and Arthur surveyed the inside of the Tabernacle while Shinra, Juggernaut, Tamaki, and Ogun dealt with the Infernals outside. The Demon Infernal proved to be too much for them to handle alone, but while Ogun went into Flamy Ink mode to buy time for Shinra, Shinra formed an Adolla Link with the woman in black who had taught Scop and the other animals to talk. The woman in black explained to Shinra that the Evangelist’s goal is to start up another Great Cataclysm and destroy the world. Shinra asked to receive Grace from her so that he could defeat the Demon Infernal, but she said he could only receive Grace for one second. Shinra thought about it and then smiled, saying that would be plenty of time. Surely enough, Shinra put the Demon Infernal Tempe to rest and learned a bit about his past as well. After gathering the last of the information on the Tabernacle and around its core, Shinra and everyone parted ways with Scop and the crow. Scop said that he felt weak because he couldn’t fight, but Shinra assured him that realizing one’s own weaknesses and asking for help takes its own kind of courage. He then told Scop they could call on the Special Fire Force anytime, and left. Now, back in the Tokyo Empire, a story around Viktor Licht is about to unfold... definitely looking forward to binging the next episodes!

Up next on Fire Force, season two episode eleven. Dark Hero.

I’ll just spark again 🔥

Just watched the first 2 episodes of the new Higurashi. The art style threw me off a little at first, but I'm already starting to get used to it. It's great that the voice actors returned, and I'm enjoying watching the characters interact again. :) Can't wait to see how things play out in this season.

just recently finished bakemonogatari. it was interesting

I watched that one a couple of months ago, myself. Some episodes I really liked. Some I couldn't get into at all. I ultimately decided not to continue on with any of the other seasons. I know a lot of people love the series, though!

Saw peoples talking about Higurashi here 🥺

Watched the 'old' one ages ago and thought this new one was just a remake but no , pleasantly surprised!
I now can't help listening to all the osts / ops / eds and trying to finish the VNs.

....and god help; I'm planning out making a Higurashi themed ac island >> https://www.belltreeforums.com/threads/higurashi-themed-island-horror-anime.577130/

Also there is a mobile game that came out recently called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Mei - only in JP so far but hopefully it'll come out to the rest of the world soon

Black Clover S3E45

An all new episode of Black Clover, episode 147, released earlier!

Asta and Noelle caught up with the Devil Believers. Dazu and Bow of the Devil Believers explained that they didn’t have much mana, and got mocked and laughed at. They wanted to go to the Spade Kingdom to gain the devil’s powers and then take revenge on the Clover Kingdom. Asta explained that he’s different and despite working hard for the kingdom and still being mocked and laughed at, he didn’t despise any of them. They refused to hand Nero/Secre over, so Asta said he and Noelle would take her place. They continued their march towards the Spade Kingdom, but Magna arrived with Captain Yami to interrupt. Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!

I’ll watch more Fire Force soon. I just have five episodes to go before I’m all caught up.​

Watched episodes eleven through fifteen of Fire Force season two and caught up with where the sub is at!

We got some backstory behind Viktor Licht and Joker. Both of them are searching for the real truth and therefore have thrown away their humanity, morals, and values in order to attain it. Captain Shinmon is confronted by Joker and the two of them raid the Holy Sol Temple, hoping to get their hands on false scriptures so they can prove the Holy Sol Temple is a sham. Captain Shinmon and Joker make it to fight a group of men known as the Shadows, who are pariahs that keep the truth behind the Holy Sol Temple safe. After using his trump card and defeating the top guy, Joker is confronted by Captain Burns of the 1st. Captain Burns hands them a diary that explains the truth behind the Hoy Sol Temple. Joker and Captain Shinmon decide they’ll do more investigating, and Captain Burns wishes them well knowing he can’t participate because it would compromise his position. Meanwhile, Inca learns that Yona of The Knights of The Ashen Flame merely posed as Raffles the 1st 250 years ago and they created the false church. Captain Obi and the others are prevented from releasing the information they gathered to the public, otherwise it would cause an uproar. This is when Viktor Licht reveals that he’s a spy for Haijima Industries, sent to spy on the 8th. Captain Obi and the others look relatively calm and Captain Obi says that they already knew this. Everyone at the 8th is then sent out to investigate Haijima Industries. Viktor Licht and Shinra enter the building where they’re testing Nataku Son, the boy who had an Infernal insect put inside him by Rekka. There Shinra has to face Kurono, a guy with insane abilities who likes torturing kids for fun. The battle escalates and Nataku Son begins awakening as the sixth pillar. Shinra and Kurono are let out of the combat facility by Viktor Licht, and all hell breaks loose. Outside, the 8th shows up to confront Kurono. Vulcan and Maki are set to deal with a girl and her “Dominions,” super powerful mini robots that pack a punch. The others go to help Shinra out and try and secure the sixth pillar. Just then The Knights of The Ashen Flame show up and Charon fights with Kurono. The girl controlling the Dominions has them destroyed by Haumea, but she unleashes a giant one that has sharp claws as well. What will happen with both the 8th, Haijima Industries, and The Knights of The Ashen Flame fighting? Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!

Watched episodes 6-8 of Kimetsu no Yaiba last night!

I'm finding it really hard to hate Muzan. I don't know why I find him so attractive... part of me wants to hate him but the other half is like 'LET ME SIMP FOR YOU!!!'

Other than that, I'm REALLY enjoying Kimetsu no Yaiba a WHOLE bunch. I feel like I can relate heavily to Tanjirou. He wants to protect his little sister (Nezuko) and keep her safe at all costs, and that's how I feel about my little brother. I want to protect him and keep him out of harms way for as long as humanly possible.

I'm just really glad I found an anime that is getting me back into anime. I think after I finish Kimetsu no Yaiba, I'm either going to do one of four things.

- re-watch Yume-iro Pâtissière (and finish it, because I was only on episode 14)
- finish reading the Shokugeki no Souma manga (I'm so behind, it hurts)
- start JJBA
- finish a few animes on my 'watching' list that need to be finished (ie: Galko-chan, Hitoribocchi, etc)

I'm on episode 5 of Spice and Wolf season 2. It's a good anime but it's made me realise I don't know anything about economics and I struggle to understand basic economic concepts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saw peoples talking about Higurashi here 🥺

Watched the 'old' one ages ago and thought this new one was just a remake but no , pleasantly surprised!
I now can't help listening to all the osts / ops / eds and trying to finish the VNs.

....and god help; I'm planning out making a Higurashi themed ac island >> https://www.belltreeforums.com/threads/higurashi-themed-island-horror-anime.577130/

Also there is a mobile game that came out recently called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Mei - only in JP so far but hopefully it'll come out to the rest of the world soon

Discussing Higurashi spoils.

I haven't watched the new Higurashi yet but people have said that it spoils something big early on. Do you know what it is?

Discussing Higurashi spoils.

I haven't watched the new Higurashi yet but people have said that it spoils something big early on. Do you know what it is?

It's Rika talking to Hanyuu around the shards, you can guess from there

Fire Force S2E16

An all new episode of Fire Force, episode sixteen, released earlier!

Maki and the girl controlling Dominion decided to work together against Haumea and Arrow. Arrow got beat up by Maki. Haumea left that fight up to Arrow. Meanwhile, Inca’s protector Ritsu unleashed a different kind of move called Necro Pyro, which gathered all of the Infernals in the area and Nataku Son and created a giant Infernal controlled by Nataku Son. Haumea arrived and manipulated his brain with her electricity shocks, making him go berserk. Kurono decided to work with Shinra, and Charon protected Shinra knowing full well they needed him as a pillar. Vulcan came up with a plan which involved Arthur sticking his legendary sword, Excalibur, into the matchbox to create a giant EMP field to throw Haumea off her game. He then drove towards the fight scene and away from Arrow, dodging her attack, with Arthur still on top of the matchbox. Vulcan needs Shinra and Kurono to defeat the giant Infernal and rescue Nataku Son before radiation levels get too high. What will happen next in this crazy three-way battle? Definitely looking forward to the coming episodes!

Made an oopsie and started watching Gundam Seed instead of Wing, but it's pretty interesting so I think I'll keep watching it! I have no experience with the Gundam franchise whatsoever so idk if any of them are a particularly better entry point than the others, but it looks like Seed is in its own timeline or universe so I guess it's alright.

It took me a really long time, but I finished Naruto Shippuden. Never read the magna and only stuck with the anime and since I started with it dubbed when it was on Toonami I didn't want to switch to a sub. Naruto and possibly half of Shippuden was good, but the war arc should had been handled better.
And Naruto and Sasuke becoming reincarnated gods that got a deus-x power up. The whole core of the show was breaking the mold and working hard and that there is no destiny. It's what you make of yourself. And then the author shoves his foot in his mouth. What a hack...

Heck, they could had even kept everything the same and somehow made it where everyone who got stuck in that hypnosis prison somehow had to work together in their purgatory mind state to break free to dispel the affects on the area. I actually enjoy Tenten's filler episode more than any of the others or the actual story. Her realizing it was a jutsu could had been the beginning of an awesome 'everyone is here to help' arc. Instead of that 'Oh Naruto you're a god save us.' How does an author lose track of their own stories plots and values???

finally got around to watching promare and it was pretty good.

the plot was good even though i kinda saw it coming, the character designs and artstyle have the quality you'd expect from trigger (pretty surprised with how nice the cgi looked), and there were a lot of nods to kill la kill and gurren lagann which was cool. the first half was kinda all over the place but wow that final act was one of the craziest ive seen in a while and it was very satisfying. if you havent watched it yet id recommend it 100%.

Back